Sunday, April 21, 2019

UFO Club update


Whew! - yesterday was a total whirlwind. Three classes in two different stores - four different quilts! And I had to drop some samples that I had borrowed back to their owner. In the midst of that, I forgot my jacket in the second shop! It was warm by that time of the day - well warmish. No worries, I'll be back there to drop something off on Wednesday - I think I can manage without the jacket for a couple of days. I hope the weather is warm enough to NOT need a jacket.

DH thinks that I'm developing that A word, but my forgetfulness is strictly trying to do too many things in a hurry. My worse situation of forgetting things is my phone when I go to the washroom. The worst that has ever happened was in LA. Just before leaving the hotel, I went to the washroom. I normally carry my phone in my back pocket as god forbid the phone were to fall out and into the toilet bowl. So I usually take the phone out of my pocket and put it on the toilet paper dispenser.

Yep - I got halfway to the airport before I realized that I had left it there. Thankfully there were others in the car with me and we were able to alert the hotel and the phone was shipped overnight to me. That was very silly of me.

This past trip, I had a mild panic attack. Went to the washroom after getting off the plane in Toronto. On my way to the baggage claim when I wanted to take a picture, I realized that I had left the phone in the washroom. I hustled back there only to discover that it wasn't in the cubicle. Then a lady at the sink remarked that there was a phone on my carryon luggage that I'd been wheeling around. Yep - I put it there instead of on the toilet paper dispenser. DUH!!!!!   Thank goodness that lady spotted it on my luggage. Perhaps I need a BRIGHT shiny case so I can see it better.

I'm going to have to make a holster for my phone that attaches to my leg so I never have to remove the phone from my back pocket. Now how can we make that attractive?


OH MY GOODNESS -- there really is such a thing - Who knew???  Check out these leg holsters.  You can also buy shoulder holsters for your phone.  Check out this one - what do you think???

Anyway back to our topic of today which is the UFO Club. So there are 12 members and I think I mentioned that I hadn't heard from Liz. Well, in fact, I did hear from Liz, but in the craziness of e-mails that I receive, I missed two from her!

She had completed her homework with pictures and sent me her commitment for the next month.

She's working on a Christmas quilt. Liz is going to have a LOT of Christmas quilts when this UFO club is done!  Her goal for the last month was to work on Month Three of this particular quilt which is called Holidays at Home.

Here's the cover of Month Three which included making the Center Block (one of those) and four sets of flying geese.


Liz' homework for March
Here are the four sets of flying geese - DONE


Four sets of flying geese - DONE
And here is the center block  - it's also done!


The center block for Month Three - DONE

Here is all of her homework for the month.
Complete homework



Here is Liz' commitment for April.

Month Four homework

Make four 9-patch blocks, the framing for the center block (the block from month 3) and then sew it all together to measure 22.5 X 22.5”. 



Homework for April

That's good. So sorry about missing that Liz. We're back on track for this coming month and I have your $10 sitting here for you!!!


So I forgot Lynne as well. Lynne was here and she had also completed her homework, but I missed taking a photo of her work and I was going by the photos since I didn't have my list with me.

Lynne had been working on this Anita Goodesign from several years ago. It's one of their tile projects. You embroider 24 tiles and then sew them together. She lost interest a while back and there it sat. So she dug the project out. She had 6 tiles to finish. Her goal was to make at least three more tiles. Guess what? She got all 6 done and they were completely sewn together.



Lynne's tile project - top is DONE
How did she make this? Well, it's machine embroidery applique. The fabrics are FLEECE. Yes - who knew? It's absolutely adorable and the matching of the seams is pretty impeccable. You can't even see from the photo above that it's made up of 24 small tiles. We had a chat about several options to finish it off and her goal for this coming month is to get it finished. Completely finished!! I can't wait to see that.


But look at this next picture she sent me. Lynne has a cat, not a dog and I think the cat was trying to tell her something.


Hey - get that dog OFF the quilt. Cats rule!


Isn't that hilarious that the cat sat in the exact spot where it would obliterate the dog? It would appear that cats are smart!

See the beauty of this UFO club? You are the one that assigns the homework so it can be as little or as much as you want it to be. If you do extra, that's a bonus for you. If you do less, then the money goes in the kitty!  It's a super system and we are motivated!!!! Yes - there will more opportunities for more people to join next year.

So there we go - that is it for the UFO club for this month. I've got to get working on my next blocks and I'll get them done. I want my money back. But it's not about the money although that helps. It's about making a commitment to get something specific done. I'm closer to getting that quilt finished and I can't wait. I really want to start on the next UFO project, BUT I can't because I've made a commitment to get this one done and that's my focus - well one of them!

I now have so much paperwork to send out to the students of the classes from the past two weeks. Bear with me - I'm working on it, as I have customer work, and paperwork from my day job to get started on as well.

It didn't help that I slept in this morning and I spent the last two evenings on the couch with my social friends! But that's OK. I was tired and I needed some downtime.

Today is wide open! Except for Easter brunch with DH. I think I can handle that - the quiet day I mean.

Hope the Easter bunny was good to you. I'm happy to report that even with eating in restaurants last week, eating the chocolate that the Easter bunny brought to me while I was away and not getting the same amount of exercise that my weight is totally stable. I've learned to control it. It's not easy and it's all about control and that damned refined sugar!

Here's the thing that I've noticed. If I eat natural sugar, I don't crave sugar, but if I happen to have eaten refined sugar, the moment that I'm done eating, I want more! Refined sugar just makes me crave. We have to STOP eating refined sugar - it's so bad for us. I'll have dessert today at the brunch and then I'll be back to eating it on the very rare occasions.

Now I'm out of here - have a super day -- Happy Easter

Ciao!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment