Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The UFO class


I'm being totally lazy this morning. I think I'm exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before. And travel days can be crazy even though you don't really seem to be doing anything.

I have to tell you about the plane ride. I get a check-in notification 24 hours in advance, but often don't get a chance to check in right away. DH tells me that I NEED to do it immediately as that is why I keep getting in a middle seat. Yep - in the middle seat again. Not a big deal. It's a short flight to Halifax.

I arrive at my seat to find the person in the window seat is already there. I barely sit down and the person in the aisle seat comes. Perfect arrangement - no one has to do the seat shuffle. But I swear the man in the aisle seat had ADHD. He was bopping around the plane up and down the aisle helping people put their luggage in the overhead bin. He was closing the bins. He was offering pillows and blankets. He was out of control.

He tried to engage in conversation with myself and my other seatmate, but we weren't having any of it. Not that he wasn't a nice man, but he just seemed off and a conversation didn't seem like a good idea. There was a Mom with two young kids in front of us. At one point, the guy bounces out of his seat, takes his shoes off and is rummaging in the overhead bin for what? Pillows and blankets to offer the kids. Well, they didn't want them. Good grief. And he has to point out to the flight attendant that he took his shoes off to stand on the seat to rummage through the overhead bin.

When we were finished with our drinks, he picked up all our cups and took them to the back of the plane. When the attendants came by to pick up the trash, he had to tell them that he already took our stuff to the back. Oh yes - when the food cart came by, he had to ask questions but didn't buy. Then when the drink cart came by, he wanted to buy food. He was just off! 

The guy beside me was pretty quiet except that a lady got on the plane who had the same seat. The attendants came and checked his ID and boarding pass THREE times. Good grief - what's that all about. Apparently, he was flying standby and had been traveling for days. He got to stay in the window and the other lady got bumped up!

But I survived the flight and my screen worked and I listened to my audiobook. My flight was a bit delayed and once I arrived at the airport, I had to wait for my colleagues who were on the next flight. Actually, that was a great thing. I sat in the food court area, got out my notebook and made a list of all the "urgent" things that have to be done. Technically, they're not all urgent, but there are things that need to be addressed. It's all categorized and I'm quite happy. There are multiple pages but at least it's all down on paper and no longer just in my head.

I also found a note in my notebook (which I've been ignoring for a long time - the notebook that is) that I owe my brother some money. I paid that while I was waiting. I was very productive and I had nothing else to do. I seriously needed that time. It was perfect.

We arrived at the hotel and got ourselves organized for the dealer event today. Thankfully the event is in the hotel so no traveling time is needed except to get downstairs.

OK - so let's have a look at the show n tell from the UFO class on the weekend. This has been the best class that I've ever created/lead. We are MOTIVATED to get our UFOs done. People are doing more than they committed to doing. I'm so excited about this class. Technically we are 12 in the group, and supposed to meet for one hour, but we were extra long this past week because there was so much show n tell. I plan to do it again next year and perhaps I'll run more than one session if people are interested.

Let's start with Susan. Susan is working on her Farm Girl Vintage. Her goal was to get the sashing on the blocks - she has made some big blocks, as well as some small blocks. She was also going to figure out a basic layout for the blocks. She did and realized that she needs more blocks. I'm going from memory here, but I do believe that her goal is to make a few more blocks for the next session.

Sashing is now on Susan's Farm Girl Vintage blocks



Then Susan had to tell us about the NEW Lori Holt book that's coming out. It's called Farm Girl Vintage 2.  I guess I have to get that one as well. It's not out until September and some of the blocks had been available for purchase off the internet. Check it out!

Then Susan brings out this purse. At first, I thought she was bringing out her purse and I wondered why she was doing that. But NO - this is a purse that she made. We all swore that it was purchased she did such an amazing job on it. Truly impressed with all the pockets, hardware, vinyl and other things that added to the very professional look of her purse which is for her daughter. That wasn't on the UFO list - that was a bonus!


Susan's very professional looking bag that she made

Sharon has completed the quilt top for her Winter Wonderland. YEAH!!!!!   This was years in the making and now the top is completely done including all the embroidery. Way to go Sharon!!!!


Winter Wonderland quilt top - DONE

What's up next for Sharon? She's now working on Stitcher's Garden quilt. This is the same quilt that I'm working on. Completely different look because of the different fabrics. Her blocks are together.

Stitcher's Garden
Her goal is to get two borders on the quilt. We helped audition some fabrics for the border and I think she's set for this month.

Auditioning border fabric
Elaine accomplished a lot this past month. One of her goals was experimenting with some quilting on her sewing machine for the top she had finished the previous month. Great samples of quilting and trying new features on the sewing machine. Awesome!!!!

Machine quilting practice
She had also committed to putting the last border on this quilt from one of the July shop hops. The border is on. It has a print on it that she matched at the corners. I have to say that I wouldn't have had the patience to do that, but we each have priorities. It looks awesome!!!

The border is on the July Shop Hop quilt
She had one other item on her list which was to cut her Postcards from New Zealand quilt. The blocks are cut and her goal for next month is to have the quilt top put together minus borders I believe.

Block pieces are cut and ready to sew together

Ronda was working on her Amish with a Twist II. She got the center section together. There are nine sections in total. She's going to have a wee bit more free time this month so her plan is to get four more sections together.

The center of Ronda's Amish with a Twist II
Each of us is in a different place as far as how much time we can devote to getting our UFOs done. The goal is to not go crazy - the object of this exercise is to commit to an amount of work that you know you can get done.

Laura's commitment for the past month was to make two sets of blocks. That would have made a total of eight blocks. This is for her Kaleidoscope quilt. However, she was on a roll. She got the eight blocks completed, then said - what the heck, I might as well finish the last four blocks which she did. But then she went on and got the large corner triangles sewn together!!! Way to go Laura!!!!

Laura's big triangles for Kaleidoscope
Her goal for this coming month is to get the entire top sewn together. I can't wait to see it!!!

Dede brought in her quilt from last month. I had only a small picture to share last month, but this quilt is so darn cute, here it is again in person. I love it!!!

Blizzard Block of the Month

Her goal for this past month was to sew this next quilt top together. She forgot to bring the quilt top so we had a good laugh about that!!!  She went home under strict orders to send me a picture so she wouldn't forfeit her $10 for the month. It's sideways - sorry for that.

Dede's quilt top is together

Her goal for next month is to put the borders on the snowman quilt. She and I have a date booked to get that done as one of the fabrics is going to require a mitered border.

I managed to get both of my blocks done. We met at 11:00 AM - I think I finished at 10:30!!! But the blocks are done. This is from the same quilt that Sharon is working on. Totally different look because of the fabrics. That center heart is made using pintuck fabric (that I made) and then I used all kinds of decorative stitches for the applique. Going to be a "fun" quilt to quilt!!!


Block One
Here is block number two. The center stem on that block is made with embroidery floss and my braid foot. Lots of cool techniques.

The second block of my homework
I've committed to making two more blocks for the next month.

I think that covers everyone who was at the meeting. Shelly and Liz were away and Linda didn't get her homework done because of travel. A whopping $30 got added to the kitty this month!

Diane doesn't attend the meeting but I see her on Mondays. This is her homework for the month. This is the July Shop Hop quilt from one of the years. Of course, Diane had to make hers bigger.


Diane's July Shop Hop quilt top
Her goal is to work on another July Shop Hop quilt. I'm sure she's done already - I haven't been to Monday in a while.


Diane's next project
That's so exciting to see all those older projects getting completed. It's just the best and I can't wait to get my quilt that I'm working on completed so I can tackle the next UFO. I must try and work a wee bit ahead, but this is just a super busy time!

On that note, I'd better get myself in the shower and then off to breakfast so I'm not late for the start of the meeting this morning.

Have a great day - dig out a UFO and set some goals for yourself.

Ciao!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of your UFO club. If you do it again, count me in, I'll be super organized then :) We can just do it virtually :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi -- yes - in my lists of stuff to do for next year, there will be a virtual UFO club. 11 days and counting!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a UFO club. What happens to the money in the kitty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri -- we haven't decided yet. Could be a party? Could be a donation? Could be a draw? It will be a group decision at the end of the year. We're at $40 so far.

      Delete