Saturday, April 6, 2019

Travel day - Part Two

I stopped in at the store that I’m teaching at on Sunday just to touch base. Everything is good - they had to do a lottery as there were too many people wanting to do the event - and then I had the afternoon free. I wandered into Indigo just to have a look. I didn’t buy anything. As I was in that bookstore, M texted me with her favourite used book store. Funny because that was going to be my next thing to do. Found a couple of them and they were all in the Gastown area. So I drove downtown - yikes - parking is at a premium in this city. But I didn’t have a choice. Not super pricy, but hard to find.

Then I wandered into the used book store. HOLY - I’ve seen some crazy places in my travels, but this one - well, it looked like a hoarder lived there. It was huge and books were everywhere. I had forgotten my used book list at home, so a phone call home and then a picture of the list came my way. I managed to find FOUR books on DH’s list. I was happy!

There’s a big sign on the door of the store - no photographs. I didn’t see that the first time I went in (I had to wait for DH to get home so he could send me the list), and I quietly took a couple of pictures. I noticed that I have one of the area behind the desk which is crammed with books that look like they haven’t been moved in years. And there’s this tiny little red fire extinguisher in the corner. Like that will do anything if the place has a fire!!!

It’s worth a visit if you’re in the area. Just to look at.  McLeods.

I stopped for tea and the most yummy oatmeal raisin cookie at Finch’s. Then on to Gas Town proper to see what else I could see. Oh - there’s the steam clock. I remember when I was a teen visiting that clock with my grandfather. He was so excited to show us the city of Vancouver and I was star struck by the big city. Now my kid goes to school just a couple of blocks from that clock.

I also saw the Old Spaghetti Factory. Gosh - I loved that place and ate there numerous times when visiting family and when I lived out here for a very brief time - not here, but on Vancouver Island. That was years ago! I still have two glasses that I purchased at that store.


No comments:

Post a Comment