Thursday, April 22, 2021

Long Time Gone Show and Tell - Part 2

 

I was going to provide a sub-title for today's post, and that is DISASTER. OK -- that's being a bit dramatic, but look what happened. 


What??????


I had to wind bobbins this morning, so I decided to change the needle and clean the lint from the bobbin case. Now the machine won't sew. I know some little thing got jiggled out of place - I SWEAR - I was NOT aggressive in the cleaning. This has never happened to me in over 20 years of sewing. GRRRRR!!!


No worries - I just popped over to another machine. Of course, the same bobbins don't fit, and neither does the foot. So I had to locate both of those and find some thread, and I was back in business. However, I did not quite get Section 1 assembled.  It looks like it's assembled, but there are still a few seams to do - I'll finish that up later today. 


Section 1, 2, and 3 (almost together)

Even though I didn't get a lot of time to sew, I still managed to get some of the pineapple blocks done. I now have the three in Section 1 and one out of four needed for Section 4. 


The fourth pineapple block


OK -- so once I got started, it wasn't really that bad. I do love to paper-piece, and I had Alex and Ricky to keep me entertained. 


Paper piecing with Alex and Ricky



The other thing you'll notice is that I have little piles of pieces. Notice they are roughly sorted by length. This makes it SUPER EASY to pick the appropriate piece to add. I do NOT care about color - it's totally random. Well, not quite - the greys/orange/blacks are in the diagonal spots. The rest is white. 

And I'm even working on ALL of the rest of the blocks. Note - I used recycled paper, so that's why the back of these blocks looks weird. But I have the first round on almost ALL of the remaining blocks. At least, the center is glued to all of them. This way, the remainder of them will go a wee bit faster!!!



Prepping round one of the pineapple blocks



So let's see what today brings and how I can fix that darn sewing machine. However, I have a few backups, so I'm not worried! I just hope to get it fixed without taking it in for servicing, although service wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Technically, I don't have anything to do today, and I'd love to say that I'll get three more pineapple blocks done, but I have a quilt to quilt, and I have homework to prep for the weekend, so I think that's where my focus will be. However, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for Long Time Gone, and it WILL be done for our June meeting. 

Now, let's have a look at the Show and Tell. 

Here is Linda R's Section 2 and 3. She didn't like a couple of the blocks in the original quilt, so she swapped them out and added the Dresden Plate and the Ohio Star with the pinwheel center. OH - and she changed the center of the half-square triangle block. Hey -- if change works - go for it!!!



Linda R




Linda W has all of her pineapple block done. Yep --- looking at these blocks makes me want to make a scrappy pineapple quilt. They are gorgeous!!


Linda W

Lois is a new quilter, and look - her pineapple blocks are done!!! She said something in our class that made me smile. I see she posted it on Facebook, and I copied it here. It's so adorable!!!



And indeed, she is quilting and doing a great job at the same time. No ready access to fabric or hands-on coaching, and well - I'm calling her a quilter!

Lois


Here's her star block. 


Lois



And her churn dash blocks are done. Can you believe that the beginner quilter is more up-to-date than I am? Oh yes - I can believe it!!! 


Lois





Lucy has Sections 1, 2, and 3 together. Notice she's using different color sashing throughout the quilt. Love it!!!! And look at the colors of her checkerboard on the right-hand side. 


Lucy


These blocks belong to Lynn. I LOVE how she changed up the combinations within the groups for the pineapple blocks. Why not? They look awesome. 


Lynn




And here's her Section 2 and 3. She must have loved the churn dash blocks because she substituted some of them for the checkerboard on the top right. 


Lynn



Lynne is using some bright and cheery colors. She made the simplified pineapple blocks. You know what? They look amazing and are not so busy as the other version. Hmmm  - I LIKE that look. And the star block looks totally different from the others. Almost like a big flower!
Lynne





Here is Section 2 and 3 with a deep grey sashing. 

Lynne



Nancy has her pineapple blocks done. She used some dark florals with white. 

Nancy


Some of the whites have words on them - how fun is that.? That would bring someone in to read the quilt. 

Nancy


And here are the components of one of the sections with the colored sashing. 

Nancy


Here are Nancy's blocks on a light sashing. I can't remember which one she's going to use. 



Nancy



Maria did something totally different with her churn dash blocks. They look adorable, and while I'm not a huge fan of florals, the ones she is using are very fun. 


Maria


Sandra has some of her pineapple blocks assembled. Oh my - the colors in this quilt scream spring and fun!!! It's going to be awesome. 




Sandra


The next set of pineapple blocks belong to Sandy. I love these colors. The patterns you can make by switching up the colors? I love it! Hmm - this also is a good option for a NEXT quilt. 




Sandy



Sharon laid out all her blocks so far. I LOVE them. And she's got a pink sashing happening which pulls things together beautifully. Look at her star block on the right. It looks totally different from some of the others. 




Sharon



Sonya has her pineapple blocks done and was auditioning the sashing. I think she decided on the light one. Although her blocks are scrappy, she has a dark outer part around the center. 


Sonya


Susan is playing catch up. That's OK. Catching up and doing is better than not!! She decided to make a simplified version of the pineapple blocks. They look great in the positive-negative that she's made. 


Susan



To round up the show and tell this month is Theresa, who is also in catch-up mode. We don't care. We just care that progress is being made! Way to go, Theresa!!!!


Theresa

Theresa



WOW --- that's so impressive. I'm so proud of all of the participants. They couldn't really shop for fabric, some are new to quilting (well - they can't say that any longer), some signed up for many other classes, some are new to Zoom, and all of them had to learn via Zoom - I couldn't be there to help them. And WOW --- they've done a fabulous job!!!! 


Way to go, everyone!!!!


So I will get my quilt top done, and well - it'll be done! But today, I must work on the other homework projects. 


If you're just seeing this today and missed the show and tell for Long Time Gone yesterday, here's the link.  


Don't forget about the Virtual Retreat on Saturday and Sunday. The information is below. Stop in to say hi, or stay awhile and chat and sew. We'd love to see you!!!!


Saturday, April 24th, 6 PM - 9 PM

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797



Sunday, April 25th, 10 AM - 8 PM

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87246635892?pwd=VGY1cUUyLzRaRi9VUVV2ZWFINXc2dz09 Meeting ID: 872 4663 5892 Passcode: 440473




OK -- as I was walking yesterday, and I reflected on Prince Phillip, I came up with an idea. He planned a good part of his funeral, which I think is a good thing. Why would I leave the planning of an important event to someone else? But I don't want a conventional funeral, as many people have chosen to do away with as well. 

Here's the thing - I want to have the last say! I want to be there! And this made me think of how people think of you. You know when others do the eulogy, you wonder - did we get to know everything about that person? So I think it's important to write a letter that could be read out at your funeral. What were the things that were most important to you? What things about you do you want everyone to know that maybe they didn't know? And it's also a time to reflect. What is the perception that other people have of me? 

If I were to write my view, how different would that be from the perception that people have of me? Oh yes - I'm putting in the bad things as well as the good. I'm going to start by creating an outline of the main things - pick five as to how you think you are perceived in the world. Here's my five - I'm an optimist, I struggle with technology, I LOVE life (and my girls), I'm a natural-born teacher, and quilts sort of took over my life. Gosh -- I hope that is how you all perceive me! If not, I need to get my act together! 

I'll have more points on my list, but those are the main ones. This is NOT something that you write in one day. Even if you are offended by the thought of this being read at your funeral - it's a good exercise. And REMEMBER - CELEBRATE all the accomplishments - you're a great grandmother, mother, wife, sister, or whatever is important to you!!! We all have different things to celebrate. 

Based on my family history, there won't be many at my funeral. My grandfather lived to a 100, Great grandmother was 99, my grandmother was 90, my parents are still alive and in their 80's. I might be alone at my funeral, but I want the last word, and that's all there is to it! If nothing else, it's a good way to reflect on your life, and I bet everyone has time on their hands right now!!!


Well, on that note, I'm off to walk the girls and then get my nose to the grind stone. It's going to be a busy day. 


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment