Tuesday, November 23, 2021

On a roll with applique

OH! While I still have deadlines, none of them are super urgent, and I let everything slide yesterday. There was a problem with that, though. I didn't know what to do! It was bizarre to be as free as that!

Don't worry - I made good use of my time. We had a super time during our Monday sewing session. Lots of fun and laughter, and I was entertained while working on the applique for my current UFO. I almost feel like I shouldn't share with you what happened. But I don't care -- here is what I accomplished. 


I had prepped part of this block when we were on our mini-retreat, but I was missing some fabric, so I had to wait until I had access to the stash. When I traced the designs, I did NOT reverse them, so the applique pattern was useless for placement. However, when I started to put this block together, I realized that I could not do it without the placement plan. I had to dig out the lightbox and flip the pattern over, and then it was a breeze. 

Applique block - prepped for stitching


So that block got completed. My goal this month is to get the applique pieces on four blocks, and now one of four is complete!

My original plan yesterday was to make the one block and then turn on the sewing machine. But I was having so much fun (did I just say that?) that I decided to forge ahead. This block was mostly prepped, but again, I had been missing some fabrics, so I dug out the missing fabrics and VOILA -- the second block got completed as well. 

Applique block - Number two - DONE


Applique is a bit of a dirty word for me. I LOVE the look, but it's so slow! However, once I get myself going, I enjoy it. 

And so this is the status of my applique blocks. WOW!!!!!!

Applique blocks for Enchanted Autumn

The second set of applique blocks for Enchanted Autumn


I have already completed 18 maple leaf blocks and 3 oak reel blocks, including all the stitching. These six still need to have the stitching done around them. And some of them are going to take a while. But I have a great sewing machine that does a fabulous stitch. I have loads of threads, so I'm good to go!

I was on a roll, so after we closed the link for Monday sewing and I went for my walk, I was excited to get back at the applique. Good grief -- what's happened to me? Alright -- I will confess that I wanted to watch the latest episode of the baking show. I'm an addict to these reality shows. That's why I try not to get involved in them, but I'm back in - hook, line, and sinker! It's all about CONTROL!!


Watching The Great Canadian Baking Show



So I sat and watched The Great Canadian Baking Show while I prepped another block. I found fabrics for all the pieces and cut them out. 

Then when that show was done, I found the Great British Bake Off, and I watched the first episode of the first season. 

Watching The Great British Bake Off


And when that episode was done, and I had "nothing" to do, I opened the Second Episode and watched that! 

Watching another episode of The Great British Bake Off


See what I mean??? Did I really need to watch THREE shows yesterday? 


And when I was finished, my garbage was pretty full of scraps. I'm using the fusible method of applique, and all that fabric has bits of glue and paper attached, so that's why it goes in the garbage, not the pet mats. 

Scrap bin full of fabrics


And this is the pile left to work on. Some of the pieces are prepped and ready to put on the background; some still need fabric. You'll have to wait to see how much is done! 

The remaining blocks to finish prepping for applique



Let's just say that I made HUGE inroads in getting this project done yesterday. Hmmm --- could I possibly continue working on it today? There's a LOT of stitching to do, and some blocks need to be pieced. Wouldn't it be nice to get that one done and close off the 2018 UFO list? Oh yes -- that would be awesome. 

I've been scouting the UFO lists for 2019, 2020, and 2021 to see what could be quickly finished before the end of the year. The problem for some is that I need my design wall, and right now -- it's full! 

I also did some tidying yesterday, so things are looking a bit better. 

Then I got myself busy working on Urbanologie. It needs to be done by Friday. And there are still those dreaded four feather blocks to finish. I did get the worst part of them done during a Monday sewing session a couple of weeks ago, but they still needed more work. See how practical those Monday sewing sessions are? They are the best -- we get to visit with each other, but it encourages you to keep sewing!

Anyway, this is the state of the four feather blocks. 

The feather blocks for the Urbanologie quilt


And that's all I'm going to say about them until Saturday morning when you get to see the show and tell!  Let's just say that it's nice to have a bit of breathing room, and YES -- I will get a lot done between now and the end of the year.
WAIT -- when I open up that jigsaw puzzle, that might not be the case!!

I took a couple of pictures on my walk yesterday. This is the fire-damaged house around the corner. They delivered some wood the other day, and now there's a fence around the front. The tarp had come loose, and the wood inside the front is completely burnt - it's a wonder the roof is still up. All of that will need to be replaced. I wonder why they didn't take the roof off that section and strip it down to the top of the garage and basically rebuild that part. It would be much easier and more practical. Maybe that's what they are going to do???



"Progress" on the house repairs


Have you ever seen this? It's a communication post that we see all over the place. But how many of them are open and wires spilling everywhere? Perhaps they are no longer used? But it makes you wonder!!!!


No wonder we have communication issues!



I've got two presentations today, and both of them are ready to go. I might get the ones for the weekend as prepped as I can. I have to wait for the participants' photos, but I can prep what I have. 

And I have some samples to make for Thursday, plus a customer quilt to do, so I better NOT be sitting in front of the computer watching The Great British Bake Off! But I needed a "fun" day yesterday, and I accomplished a lot. Now it's time to get back to serious work for the rest of the week. Next week is a relaxed week, and it'll be like that until the end of the year!

I'm looking forward to it.

But now that I've discovered those silly baking shows, I might just dig out more applique -- what a great way to get applique done AND watch the shows at the same time. Hmmm -- I know the perfect quilt to dig out. 

Don't forget that the QUILTsocial blog posts are up this week, and I'll be chatting about many fascinating topics. This link is all about choosing stabilizers for machine embroidery! Be sure to pop over and check out the blog post. 


Also, there's a Facebook live session at 2:00 PM on Friday where I'll be available to answer questions about topics from the blog posts, stabilizers for sewing and embroidery, and a whole lot of other stuff. So come with your questions!!!!

And the Virtual Retreat is this weekend. Saturday evening from 6 - 9 PM and Sunday from 10 AM to 8 PM. It's going to be loads of fun, and I'm guaranteed to get a lot of sewing done. OH -- I know what I might work on, and it'll require the design wall!!! 

On that note, I'm off to get the day started! 

Have a super day!!

Ciao!!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment