Saturday, February 1, 2020

The art of journaling


The apple sure doesn't fall far from the tree at our house. I've probably said this before, but we've likely all forgotten! My Mom has written a diary for years. And I bet she still has them from when she was a kid. Now that I think of it, she probably doesn't as I doubt they would have had access to the paper to write one. But when she got married, I think that's when she started. You know - that's a good question to ask her next time I chat with her and where the heck they all are.

My Dad also kept a daily diary with short entries and I wonder if he still does? I know those are back at the farm and I should nab those next time I'm out there. I don't think he wrote anything earth-shattering in his. What do parents write about their children in their diaries?? I'm not sure I want to know some of the stuff they've thought about me as I went through some of my younger years.

I've got diaries myself - in a box downstairs that I need to do something with. Not sure yet. And of course, for years now, I've written my blog which is, in fact, a form of writing in a diary or journaling. Mine just happens to be electronic and I can share it with you all. M, who is home (should I say home or here? since this technically isn't her home anymore), for the weekend, is an obsessive journaler. She writes every day and lists her goals for the month, week, amongst other things. I don't know - it's not my business.

But it would appear that we are a family of list makers and like to write down our thoughts. I'm trying to move away from paper and now keep some of my lists (like grocery lists) on my phone. A neat little app called Samsung Notes. It works for me - it's super easy.

All that preamble to say bear with me as I document my Virtual Challenge for January. Can you believe that I've walked 230 miles in January? Some of that was outside and some on the treadmill at the gym. I'd say that 2/3 was outside and 1/3 inside. Which is pretty darn good considering that I live in a climate where we have cold weather in January. Although it hasn't been that bad and the sidewalks have for the most part been decent to walk on. Only one or two days of bad ice which is NOT my friend.

For those of you who understand KM - that's about 370 KM. That's pretty much the distance from my house to Brockville, Ontario. I'm one-tenth of the way from Chicago to Los Angeles on Route 66. I'm actually enjoying the challenge a lot and I use my time at the gym listening to audiobooks which is great. All around, this is a win-win situation for me. I get to listen uninterrupted to the audiobook, I get some miles in, I use my gym membership - it works for me. And there was NO ONE in the ladies' change room when I was in there this morning. It's like having a HUGE bathroom all to yourself.

When I picked M up from the subway station yesterday, we stopped on the way home so she could pick up a few things from the grocery store. I refused to go inside and said I would walk to the grocery store later in the day. Which I did. And with my full backpack of food and two dogs on their leashes, we did a lot of steps. I LOVE not driving the car everywhere. It's so freeing.

The ladies who signed up for the Vintage Christmas Sew Along and The Christmas Fig Sew Along are pretty darn lucky - well I think they are lucky. I don't think I promised that the homework would be out first thing in the morning, but it goes out on the due date. And they are getting my BEST sewing tips ever!!  These classes are not just about making a particular block because these ongoing classes have never really been about making the blocks - they have been about becoming a better sewist. The participants get feedback, we get to see what the others are making (colors, choice of fabrics, etc) and well - I think it's an awesome deal.

Here are the two blocks that were assigned yesterday.

Block from Vintage Christmas by Lori Holt


Second block from Vintage Christmas by Lori Holt


I'm making the 6" blocks and they are adorable. I love small!!!

I made this small video for the group, but I thought I'd share it with you as well since its technically sitting on my YouTube channel and anyone can access it. It's all about pressing and how to press ANYTHING flat. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5uskFcH4A&t=5s


Speaking of small, I had a helper when I was sewing yesterday. I later got him his blanket and put it on the table and he snuggled right up and went to sleep. Some helper!!!!

Helper with the sewing

I can't help it - I've already taken a ton of pictures of him. He's just the cutest thing. I have tons of pictures of my own girls. How could you not? They do the silliest of things. I know I should post more pictures. Maybe those girls need an Instagram account, not a blog?

Did I get to the other things that I wanted to do? No. I had to help someone out yesterday with their long arm computer and I learned a thing about my serger in return. I'll have to share that story another day. But that's OK - I'm on track so I'm not going to worry too much about getting things done. If they get done slowly, they get done slowly.

The next quilt is loaded and ready to be quilted today. And I'm going to try and get through the stuff in the postcard basket. There's nothing on the agenda for today. Nothing serious so that's good.

I found this quote in my M.C. Escher calendar which I thought was appropriate for the fabric acquirers amongst us. "That remarkable urge to obtain multiple images (fabric), for which I have no rational explanation, probably goes back to a primeval instinct. It has something to do with "Go forth and multiply.....""   Do you think this acquiring thing has to do with creative minds???  I don't know, but I thought it was good for a laugh.

On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment