Sunday, May 24, 2020

Celebration


I wish that we were having a celebration. No - not a birthday or wedding or anything like that. Just a simple celebration that I got everything completed. I'm still working like mad, but will it all get done on time? Only time will tell. Let's just say that I learned a valuable lesson. While it's good to make goals - you better make sure that you work on them bit by bit instead of trying to cram everything in one day!

Somehow, I don't think I'll ever learn that lesson, and besides - now it's become a game. Can I do it? Let's just say that with the Virtual Retreat scheduled starting Wednesday that the days between now and then are going to be a wee bit full!

We had two very successful ZOOM classes yesterday. It's not perfect, but I'm getting there. The next thing to try is a hands-on class. I got a couple of suggestions yesterday, and I'm going to work out a schedule. So be sure to watch for those details.

I don't have a lot of the homework pictures for Celebration - many got their homework done but didn't send it to me, so we got to see it live. But here's what I have.

Here's a picture of the quilt as per the cover of the pattern. Trust me - we've all changed our colors from this, and I've made some changes to the blocks as well. All will be revealed in due course.

Celebration Quilt by Quilted Moments

Our first assignment was to work on the center block and get the colors organized. Don't forget that we're working with limited access to quilt stores so most of us are just winging it with what we have in our stashes. I've already run out of two fabrics so I will be having a second look at the stash.

The first block belongs to Valerie. This is looking bright and cheery!

Valerie's center block
 Next up is Lynne's. Very soft colors and I LOVE that outer fabric. It's very pretty. I think Lynne needs to work outside her color zone for the next quilt!!!  Of course, if we're working with our stash, the chances are - we have a lot of what we like! Lynne has taken her fabrics into EQ8 and played around with them to get the coloring more or less to her liking.


Lynne's center block


The next one belongs to Kathi. I might have to steal this one from her - there are lots of pinks and oranges in it. She also took her fabric (or a facsimile thereof) into EQ8 and played around with the placement. It's so much fun to play with different color combinations!!


Kathi's center block
 This one belongs to Marilyn. She's chosen to work with batiks. Hey - Kathi did as well. Another great color combination!


Marilyn's center block


Here's what my quilt looks like on the design wall. This is after the homework for this month has been added. I know the center block looks green and the rest look blue. Well, I have that big hunk of fabric that I'm going to use to tie it all together. Gosh - that fabric is OLD. All the fabric in this quilt is OLD.


My Celebration quilt


So that homework got done. I just need to get the written document done for those that didn't attend class. That's not going to happen for a day or two. I see a few early mornings or late evenings to get everything done. Just focus on ONE thing at a time. That's all I can do and I'm don't worry. What doesn't get done, doesn't get done. We're talking quilting, not rocket science.

There was NO time for backyard fun yesterday. After the second Zoom meeting, I sequestered myself in Studio U to get my UFO project completed for today. I'm afraid to look at the commitment, but then I don't need to - I remember very clearly what I committed to. I even remember the day I made that commitment and thinking that perhaps it was aggressive. And now I'm trying to do the entire thing in less than 24 hours. Sigh.........

What's my UFO? A log cabin quilt no less. A couple of blocks were made as prototypes. The fabric WAS NOT CUT.

I thought I took a picture of the project box before I started - not yesterday, but when I initially pulled it out. I'll try to find it. Needless to say, it was a flurry of activity yesterday. I talked to my Dad while I cut the fabric. Cutting strips of fabric is a totally mindless job and easy to do while on the phone. It seems like I cut and cut and cut. And let's just say that I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Am I done? Well, everyone will have to wait until 11 AM when we have our UFO meeting to know the outcome.

You know that Eleanor Burns was famous (and still is) for her "Quilt in a Day".  And the most popular book was the Log Cabin. If Eleanor can do it in a day, then so can I. But remember Quilt is a Day is the NAME of her company, not an actual thing to do!

In keeping with her style of throwing the scraps over her shoulder, it was only fitting that I do the same. OK - I tossed them towards a small tray on the floor.

The scraps

And my jacket was there as well. It was a tad warm in Studio U at one point. But with the windows open and a slight breeze, it was glorious. I couldn't listen to an audiobook - it was so nice to hear the outdoors. Those darn birds are pretty darn noisy in the morning. I think I'm going to have to return and reborrow a couple of audiobooks. Just no time even with the mindless sewing. I'd rather listen to the radio and the outdoors at the moment.

Here's the state of the room. It's seen cleaner days for sure, but there's a whole lot going on - well just that UFO. It sure is a happy room and I have M to thank for the wild colors. I see no need to change them. The floor is mostly clear of stuff so it's not bad.


Studio U


Can anyone tell me where the month of May went? It seemed like it flew by. And I feel a bit isolated (not lonely or alone - just living in a small world). I don't listen to the news except for the 30-second version on the radio. I'm not shopping or doing errands (or very few) and yet, I'm busy as ever. The same thing with my Dad. He's at home and can't get out to volunteer. The time is flying by for him as well. The apple didn't fall far from the tree at our house! We're all busy people and we're perfectly happy to keep ourselves entertained.

I learned a long time ago how this works. In order to self entertain, you have to LOVE yourself. You have to be selfish and you have to trust yourself. Oh - I make mistakes - lots of them. I procrastinate - a LOT. But underneath all those silly characters "flaws", is a lot of self-love and independence.

I remember renting a house in PEI for one month several years ago. I was by myself most of the time. I took the dogs (different ones than I have now) and my sewing machine. I was perfectly happy and spent time on the beach and just hanging out. I could have stayed longer.

I managed to get almost 6 miles of walking in yesterday even with all the sewing. I did need to get out and stretch my legs and it felt good to get out.

Well, on that note, I've got ONE more presentation to assemble for our UFO club this morning. I'd better get that done and book the Zoom meeting and send out the invitation as well. Then we'll see who got their homework done.

Don't forget the Virtual Retreat on May 27 - 31. The links to the Zoom meeting will be posted soon.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

1 comment: