Thursday, May 21, 2020

Tick tock


When I refer to Tick Tock, I don't mean the program/app or whatever it is that people are watching these days. That's so funny as I used to be a TV junkie. I watched hours of TV every day. All the reality shows, comedy shows, and talent shows. I was addicted to the darn thing. Now there are all these subscription services and streaming services, and I have NO clue about any of them. New shows? Talent? Trends? No clue.

And you know what? I'm perfectly OK with that. I do watch some stuff on You-Tube, but those are mostly short clips and, like my Dad, are primarily about learning something.

We did have this conversation a while back that you MUST be very careful with what you watch. Watch two or three videos on the same topic to make sure that it makes sense to you because there are all kinds of advice out there. Some good and some bad, and how do you sort the good from the bad. 

I feel for those that are new to quilting and post a plea for help on Facebook. I don't usually pay attention to the comments because I know there's a lot of false or incorrect information. However, yesterday, I happened upon this comment, and it's been bugging me ever since. The quilter was having trouble getting her blocks to be the right size. Well, the real answer to that issue is to make sure that each component is the correct size BEFORE you sew the block together and make sure your seam allowances are right.

One of the answers that she got was to NOT trim the components until several components had been sewn together, then trim. The person who made that comment stated that she had tried the other way, and her blocks were always too small. Well - that tells me that her seam allowances were too big. A simple thing like that can perpetuate BAD practices and not just in quilting.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a big repository of CORRECT information that we could access? A place that would give us the EXACT answer that we want and just one - not thousands like you get when you search the internet.

Oh well.

So I need some help! How ridiculous is that after what I just wrote! 😂😂

I swear that the other day, I came across a reference to how buttons were made and that the two holes (in a two-hole button) were more or less the same spacing apart from each other regardless of the button size. Well, obviously, a tiny button can't have the same distance as a large button. But you get what I mean? I wanted to reference that fact yesterday, but do you think I can find the reference? And do you think it's mentioned on the internet? Nope - I must have made that one up. I'm good at that! I checked the magazines that I have just read, and it wasn't in any of them. So it must have been online. But I read so much online that it's hard to know where I found that little tidbit.

Soooo......  Does anyone have thoughts on that? Or should I say - does anyone know of a reference for the spacing of the holes drilled into a button?

I even have a BOOK about buttons. GO figure. And I knew exactly where it was shelved. With all the shuffling around of those books, I'm not certain of the location of many of the books, but I knew where this one was. No mention of the holes within the button.

A book about buttons
So my reference to Tick Tock today is that the clock is ticking and while I'm making good progress on everything that needs to be done this week, I'm behind. Way behind. I'll be sewing my UFO homework late into the night on Saturday. I can just see it now. I must plan better for the weeks when more than two things are due!

I've managed to get the blocks for the Friday homework almost completed. I should be able to finish those off today. Then to write up the homework assignment. I'll be tackling the work for the two Saturday classes later today. And then there's that darn UFO homework. That's going to happen in between everything else.

I've made good progress on the blog posts and hope to have four of five posts done by tomorrow evening. The last one will happen on Sunday. Let me say that I've learned so much this week from researching and writing those posts and you get to learn all about that soon.

The other thing I did yesterday was to upgrade my Grammarly subscription. I've been using the free version for a long time. I do love it as it has helped me with my grammar. DH advised me to cough up the money to support them. OK - I can do that. I bought the year subscription and I'll see how it goes. I seem to have two main issues. One is my lack of use or the misuse of the COMMA, and I tend to write in the passive voice a LOT. I can fix the commas, but I'm still learning about the passive voice. Why didn't I learn about this stuff when I was in school?

I will say that Grammarly likes commas for EVERYTHING. It's a bit much I think, but I've learned a whole lot over the couple of years that I've been using this program. How many people actually write anything of length these days? Not much - but I write every day. I think that's one reason why I like blogs - it gives me a reason to write!

I've been working in Studio U these last couple of days. It's a mess. There's stuff all over the floor as I had to find some samples, the cutting table has stuff all over it, the ironing board is filled with samples, and the sewing table has extra stuff on it as well.

Studio U

It's certainly a happy room with all that light and those bright colors! The mess is only temporary. I'll have it cleaned up by the end of the weekend.

Here's my pile of enders/leaders that I'm working on as I sew. That'll keep me busy for a LONG time and I have more where this came from!

A basket of enders and leaders

I must remember to put this in the laundry basket of stuff for the virtual retreat, although I'll be making bags so I won't be needing these that often.

Speaking of bags, Judi left a comment yesterday about the number of bags I've got slated to make at the retreat. Well - look at the bags that I have already made!!!!



Hand made tote bags


Why are there so many? Normally, they are filled with projects ready to go to class or some event. Since all events are canceled, the bags are empty. Then there were the bags that were filled with UFOs or other junk (I mean stuff) that needed to be put away. If I needed a new bag - I made one!

The bags I'll be making at the retreat are not the typical tote bag - one is a yoga bag, one is a backpack, and two are handbag size which I hope to sell or give away. I don't care if the bags hang around - I just want them DONE so they are no longer a UFO.

I see our Fabricland has reopened, but you have to wear a mask. I'll be in that area later today, but I don't need anything so I'm not going to stop by.

So are you a catalog junky?? Here's an article about craft catalogs. I have to say that I used to love getting catalogs in the mail, but I'm weaning myself off of them. I'm happy to look online. There's no temptation to save it and find it years later. There's no temptation to cut out pages and then wonder years later why you didn't act on that kit or panel.

As much as I'm a tactile person - I love to touch as much as the next person, I'm all for electronic versions of manuals, catalogs, etc. Downloading these things into a tablet is the BEST thing ever. Now we just need Apple to address a proper filing system for PDFs. Then I would be a very happy camper.

It would appear that I'm pretty predictable. I got TWO messages from people yesterday asking me if I was sitting outside. NO KIDDING. And well - I was on both occasions. I couldn't help myself - it was a glorious day! But to prevent any napping, I did sit at the table! I'll probably be out there again today but as I mentioned, the clock is ticking and I can't delay things a whole lot longer. Of course, I could stay up later and get it done when it's too dark to be outside.

Don't forget the Virtual Sewing Retreat. May 27 - 31. There'll be a Zoom meeting that you can join to chat, ask questions, or share what you're working on. That'll run from 9 AM EST to 9 PM EST. I hope you're getting yourself prepped!!!

Speaking of retreats, I see the first (that I'm aware of) casualty in the quilting world because of the pandemic. Inspired Getaways near Ottawa is up for sale so if anyone is looking to buy a retreat house, this one sleeps 13 people. I've never been, but I've heard good things about it.

On that note, I'm out of here!!!!

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are having such a great year!!!! I hope you're tracking your finishes. I'm recalling your 100 finishes project! I bet you exceed that in 2020 :-)

    We are amidst a week of rainy days, breaking records to boot! I'd love to sit on the patio in bright sunshine. Maybe Monday?

    Wishing you a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started a couple of hand projects so having special bags that I have made are perfect for carrying them around. It is very sad news about Inspired Getaways. That's my home retreat and we had some fantastic times there. Thanks for keeping me inspired :)

    ReplyDelete