Saturday, May 1, 2021

It's all about the car

 

OK -- I think I've put more miles on my car this week than I have the entire year so far! I had things to pick up and drop off, and it just happened that it all came together this week. Holy -- it takes time to do those errands - I was away for FIVE hours yesterday, so I didn't get a whole lot done. However, I did FOUR errands in those five hours, and I've got some fun show and tell. But not today. 

I need to catch up from two days ago. Let's say that I solved the e-mail mystery. I can't say that I'm happy with what I found, but at least I can see my e-mails. 

So this is what happened. I needed a GPS yesterday, and I decided that I was in a good enough mood to try the navigation system in my car. OH -- there's a new app to connect the car to the phone. I deleted the old one and installed the new one. Hmm - now I need to log into the new app. Guess what? Yep - they sent a verification code to e-mail, which at that time, I didn't know what was happening. I said, "screw it," and just used my phone, which isn't the best since I can't read the darn thing with my glasses on. However, I did NOT get lost, so that was a good thing. 

When I arrived home, I decided to try it again. I had to uninstall the app and reinstall it. Then I had to register my car - easy to do using a scan of the VIN number. Then I ensured the Bluetooth was connected, and I turned on the map on the navigation screen. OK - I did that SEVERAL times, but LOOK. It's a MIRACLE!!!!

The MAP on the navigation system in my car



I've managed to connect it in the past, but what a nightmare. Let's hope that it'll be a breeze to keep this thing connected with the new app. I have another errand tomorrow - a much shorter one, and I'll give it a whirl. Never give up!! But sheesh - I've had that car for over two years, and that navigation system has been a nightmare from day one. 


OK -- now let's have a look at the photos from two days ago. OH -- you'd like to know what happened to my e-mail? Well, as I was fiddling with the car, I realized that I had NOT checked the SPAM folder. You see, I was getting one or two e-mails during the day, but nothing like I normally get. So when I got home and looked in the SPAM folder - there were all my e-mails, including the ones that I sent to myself. 

Not sure what's going on there, but everything or almost everything is still going into SPAM. I tell you - if technology could stay working properly once you get things set up. Why would my e-mails go to SPAM? 


I have nothing new to report on the Snail's Trail blocks, but look who I found in the front garden the other day? Yep - a family (well, probably not!) of snails. 


Snails in the garden

Love this picture of the snail and the vegetation


I hate when they go on the driveway. I've accidentally stepped on them in the past. Sorry!!!!

Snail in the driveway


In an effort to clean up the cutting table, I trimmed some half-square triangles. Let's just say that I have NOT made a dent in clearing up the cutting table. And it's the end of the week, and it's not going to happen today!!!


Trimmed half-square triangles



I got another customer quilt done. Now to trim and make some labels for this customer. 


Customer quilt - DONE


Now here's another mystery that needs to be solved. When I enter the length of the quilt into the long-arm computer, you would think that it would be perfect or almost. This quilt was BANG on. There was no extra pattern beyond the edge of the quilt. But sometimes? It can be as much as two inches. You never want it to be short! That would be bad. 

The quilting pattern was perfectly lined up


So I will need to figure that out, but it's not the end of the world. 

I finished off a pet mat that was also sitting on the cutting table. OK - so I cleared a few things away -still didn't make a dent. But I love having access to a serger. M wants to start sewing clothes, and I'd love for her to have a serger. Hmmm - how many clothes does she want to sew? 


The beautifully serged edge on a pet mat


AHA - here's the medal that you didn't get to see yesterday. I kind of miss checking our progress across the country, but that's OK. I've got other things to do, and my other treks are still in progress. 



The medal for the BIG Canada Run


I've got a project to work on this coming week, and I needed zippers. I was trying to find them at a shop, but most shops are NOT selling zippers during the pandemic! Good grief! OK -- I can hear some of you saying - SHOP Chez Elaine first!!! So I pulled my boxes of zippers off the shelf, and I shopped. 

Shopping for zippers


I inherited many zippers from someone along the way, and where did all these separating zippers come from? And what am I going to do with them? 

Separating zippers


I did manage to find these zippers. Not exactly the colors and lengths that I need, but you know what? I can make it work!! So I saved some money by not buying zippers, and I'm using at least five from my stash, and that's a good thing. 



Zippers for my project


Did you get rid of your ten pieces of paper yesterday? I did and more. But this next item is the kind of stuff that becomes clutter. This was a bracelet for the walk across Canada. It was part of the swag that came with the medal. OK -- I do NOT need swag at my house. I wish we could see what's coming and refuse it. I really just wanted the medal. I don't need trinkets. I felt guilty, but I tossed it in the garbage. And I know there's going to be much more swag and trinkets going in the garbage as I sort through the office. Why, oh, why is this stuff made? 


Swag that went in the garbage


And trust me - there's a ton of it in the quilting world. At one point in my life, I would take anything free. Free little trinkets. And then what? They become clutter. I say NO now - I do NOT want anything free - giveaways, swag bags, or whatever. Most of the stuff is junky and not what I would use. Just say NO!!!!! 

Here's my churn dash block. Still not quite together, but I've made decent progress, considering I didn't turn on the sewing machine yesterday. I was hoping to be finished this section by the end of the weekend, which might happen. But I have a massive project to do today. It's the only thing on the schedule - well, that's not true - I have to prep for two classes tomorrow. I'll see what I get done. That's all I can do - baby steps!!!! Progress is being made, and this quilt WILL be done by the last class in June. Actually, I want it completely together by next weekend. Oh boy!!!! 


Churn dash block progress


I have a corner in the living room, which is my holding area. This is where stuff gets put to be picked up! One day, it might be nearly empty, and then bam - lots of stuff gets put there. It's a constant flow of stuff. 


The holding area in our house for outgoing things


But I'm happy with the progress of getting things out of the house. I wish I could go faster, but you know what? I'm just happy that progress is being made. That's all I care about. And it's going to happen - one day, the house will be so empty that we're not going to know what to do with all the space. It looks like that in some of the rooms. OK - it doesn't! But we're in good shape. My goal is that the day we decided to sell that the agent comes in and says - WOW! We'll just add a new cushion here and a trinket there, and that's it! No packing up boxes of crap! OH -- I have something to share about selling houses, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. 


What do you want to tidy up today? How about text messages on your phone? Remember, they do NOT delete themselves. They will be there forever. So start deleting!!!

And I'm working on something on the computer - I was doing that last night while I listened to the author talk, and OH MY - I'm excited. I hope to have it finished by next weekend. I'm learning and creating on the computer, and I LOVE it. Super exciting. 

I have to say that I have the best job in the world. I love what I do, I love learning all kinds of things, I love working on my projects, whether for a magazine or a blog or for me. There's so much to learn and well - if that enthusiasm alone would keep me alive - I'm going to live to be a very old person!! 


Well, on that note, I'd better get moving. It's going to be an insane day. And there's so much that needs to be done. Everything is quiet, and then BAM!!! The projects just come down the pipeline like crazy. But I love it, so I don't care. Slow and steady!!!


Have a g great day!!!!


Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment