Saturday, May 15, 2021

The Design Wall for Quilter's - Part Two

 A design wall is a CRITICAL part of a quilt studio. Why? You can't really appreciate what your quilt will look like, how the fabrics behave together, whether the values and colors work together without standing back and have a good long look. I've been known to throw stuff on the wall and then sit on a chair and just look. I would not be happy without my design wall. I'm working on my UFO, and here's what it looks like. 

I got all the rows stitched together for this quilt top. Now it was decision time. A cornerstone or not? I decided NOT. I've cut some strips of sashing and have one of them sewn on. A "little" more work and this had better be done for tomorrow. I am NOT willing to fork over $10 just because I couldn't find the time!

My UFO project


I was going to leave it like that, but just as I was about to turn out the lights this morning, I decided to see if that busy print would work for the border. AHA  - I LIKE this, and so this is what the quilt is going to look like. 



Auditioning the borders


I'm still on the fence about the other quilt top. I checked in the notes for what I committed to for the UFO homework, and it clearly states ONE of the potentially two tops needs to be done. I have a one-hour class this morning and the rest of the day is clear. 

Now I need to finish that custom quilt on the longarm, and there are quilts to trim, so that should be a priority, but I'll switch between the two to give myself a break!

Oh my -- I'm watching The Quilt Show and interspersing that with Podcasts from While She Naps (I went right back to the very beginning - so interesting!!!) and the live segments that Alex Anderson is doing these days. OH MY -- I'm learning so much - I just wish I would have been connected to this stuff YEARS AGO. But no regrets - I'll just keep plugging ahead. 

What I would love to know is how I "wasted" so much time before. I didn't design for magazines; I wasn't an educator for sewing machines. I did teach for one local shop, and although I did teach a lot, I must have had extra time. What the heck did I do with that? Well, we'll never know - so onward and upward!!!

I was going to call this post - The One that Got away. Oh my -- I had my phone in my hand, but it happened so suddenly, there was ZERO time to grab a picture, and it would have been magnificent. 


So it was glorious out yesterday, and I was outside for part of the day. I decided to view the backyard from a different angle. And this was my view. 


A different view of the backyard

It doesn't matter which angle you look at it - it's a beautiful space to relax, and it's peaceful. Well, except when Murphy is around. 

I was trolling around on my phone when I heard her fussing at the fence between that red house and us. Then I heard a bird SQUAWK and OH MY GOD - I glanced up, and a HERON was flying out of the neighbor's backyard. I saw him against the red house!!


There really was a heron flying in this space!

It was magnificent with its outstretched legs. It's huge. There was zero time to react! I wonder what he was doing in the neighbor's yard? Searching for food, but I didn't think they had a pond. The heron would LOVE to visit me with all those yummy fish, and I wouldn't mind if he stopped by, but PLEASE do not eat the big ones. Take a couple of the little ones!!!

We don't seem to have any babies in the pond this year, and that's a good thing. We do NOT need more fish. 

WOW  - if you want to read a bit more about heron noises, here's a link to do that


I took both girls to the dog park yesterday. I used to think it was far away, but gosh - I walk LESS when I take them to the park than if I take them for their walks. There are not many dogs there when we are there, and that's good. Slow and steady to introduce them to other dogs. Many other dog owners would think these girls are aggressive in how they play - they play very rough together. But they are both super sweet. 

Lexi was doing just great on her own, trying to coax Max to get off the table and play with her. 


Lexi and Max


They did play together for a bit, and then Max said, "enough!" He just wanted some cuddles from his owner. 

As I'm working on my quilt top, I'm back to making Snail's Trails blocks. Here's what I still have to sew. 

Progress on the Snail's Trail blocks


And here's one more block. I know - I've been working on these FOREVER. 


One more Snail's Trail block


I now have forty of the blocks for my All in a Row quilt. Eight more to go and then five for the mini quilt. I'll get there. Slow and steady - that's what it's all about - slow and steady!!!


The latest issue of A Needle Pulling Thread is now available. This issue is all about TREES. I had a quick preview last night, and there are some AMAZING quilts and other projects in it. Check it out!!!!


Let's just say that, while some of my computer woes are fixed, I'm still having a major problem with my laptop. That file that I couldn't delete and Microsoft helped me delete? Well, it's back. I've no idea what's causing that issue, and it's most annoying as I NEED that software. Is it a Microsoft issue? Or is it the software issue? I have a couple of notes to make, and then I'll be on the phone with both of them to try and solve the problem. 

I've been struggling with an assignment that I set myself in the embroidery world, and I don't do well when that happens. I get focused on the issue, can't let it go, and then nothing gets done. So I MUST let it go until I can talk to someone!! Let it go..............................    Me and technology - my best friend - NOT!!!


Well, it's time to get the day started. It's going to be another glorious day. I have work to do, but I'm sure I'll steal a few minutes to get outside, and perhaps I might even get my bike out. Gosh - I haven't even touched it - there just doesn't seem to be time. I NEED to make time! 

There's no decluttering task today. WAIT - yes - there is decluttering today. Do you have a garden shed? Can you get in the shed? Well, how about starting with the gardening tools. 


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment