For those with the old-style embroidery unit, this one is amazing. I can't say enough about it. And when we had finished the event, I had to pack those units back up. I did get some help, but it took longer than getting them out, but not by much. Again - the packaging is so well thought out, and everything has a home!
And then we had to pack up 14 PFAFF creative icon 3s into their shipping boxes. We worked like a production line, and others put all the bits in the top section of the box, so all I had to do (again with one other person helping) was to put the machines into their respective boxes. If you keep the box, it is great for carrying your machine around, except that it is huge! But for us, who must keep the original box, it is beautifully designed and makes it super easy to pack a machine, which is very important if you have a large quantity to pack.
With all the packing from last week and this week, I'm pretty good and very efficient at packing.
Those machines and EUs are heavy! But I'm still able to do that kind of task, and well, I'm happy to help out. I will say that packing puzzles was a much easier job. The boxes were much lighter and smaller! I didn't need to go to the gym!
The day went very well, and the dealers in the room were very excited about the new features on the creative icon 3. I'm pretty excited about it, and should you want one, you can check with your local PFAFF dealer, as they now have the proper training and information and can sell you one. There is a presale deal going on right now. By the end of next week, all the PFAFF dealers across Canada will be certified to sell that machine. Check out this link to learn more.
The hotel that we typically have these events at has undergone a makeover since I was there last. Brand new carpet and paint in the meeting rooms. And new wallpaper in the bathrooms. Although I think that wallpaper was there the last time I was there, but I didn't really take note of it.
![]() |
| The wallpaper in the bathroom |
Yes—you can get so much inspiration from public washroom wall coverings.
But what is funny is that this reminds me of the signature artwork in the PFAFF creative icon 3. I don't have a picture, nor do I have the machine, but some of those designs are funky curves like this. If you check out this link, you can see some of it in the fabric that is being embroidered in the video. If memory serves, there is one very similar design, and as soon as I can get a picture, I'll share it with you.
I also accomplished more weeding the day before, so while there is still one patch I didn't get to, it doesn't look half bad. After the gardener comes this morning, it will look spic and span.
I'm currently reading a book about a guy who calls himself a hermit. The Scotsman did lots of backpacking through northern Canada and Alaska and finally settled in a northern area of Scotland. It's not that he didn't want to be with people, but his calling was to live off-grid in the wild. He kept a diary, and he wrote down his travels. This book, called The Way of the Hermit by Ken Smith, is really quite an interesting read. The BBC made a documentary about him.
There are lots of trials and tribulations as he learns to live in the wild and gets a job that allows him to do so and build a cabin, etc.
But what I found really fascinating was his life as a storyteller. Here's a quote from his book: "When you keep a diary, you find yourself actively looking for a story to tell, and soon enough, your life will fill with far more vibrant scenes than it would if you were just sitting in your chair, passively letting the world slip by before you. You want to impress your reader, and if that reader is only ever going to be you, what could be more important than creating a life story that is full of color and resonance?"
OH MY GOSH --- I had never thought about my writing the blog in that way. But he is absolutely right about that.
Wherever I go and whatever I do, the stories for the blog are constantly in my subconscious. I must take a picture of that, or remember the details of something else. Some of these stories get tucked away for a bit, and others I have to tell the very next day. And what I find hilarious is that things tend to group themselves in things you touch or see in your daily life.
In The Way of the Hermit, Ken frequently refers to the larch, a common tree in the northern parts of the world, including Scotland, which he uses for firewood; I think he used larch when he built (and rebuilt) his cabin. He is very conscientious about reforesting the areas he harvests for firewood, and he is using fallen trees to help keep the forest floor clear.
Just a few minutes ago, I read a short article in an OLDER quilt magazine (2014) about a Scottish quilter who rejuvenated a type of boat made from larch! I haven't finished the article yet, but it always amazes me how, when a new word or phrase comes up, you frequently find it popping up elsewhere. I am not familiar with larch trees, so to have it come up in two completely separate contexts within three days of each other? That's crazy!
And that had nothing to do with AI or anyone else listening to it - both sources came from print material, although one of them was from an e-book.
Oh my gosh -- can you believe how quickly this month has gone! Soon it will be August and then summer will be over!
Unless something else comes up, and it could, I am home for the remainder of the summer! Yeah me!!! I hope to get outside and enjoy the gazebo and the rushing water in the pond. I hope to read and do some puzzles, and I also hope to get down to Studio B, because I have a few things I want to get done!
I didn't get a chance to work on the pattern testing because I got home quite late. But that will be on the agenda today. I hope to complete one more block and get the next one or two cut out.
It really is an adorable quilt, and even though I am using the same colors (not fabric) as Lorna, our quilts have a different flavor. I'll do a side-by-side comparison when we are both finished.
I have one appointment first thing this morning, and then the rest of the day is mine! Yeah!!!
On that note, I'm out of here. And the next time you are in a public washroom, check out the wall coverings!! You never know if you'll find an inspiration there! It might be a design, but it might just be the color! You never know.
Have a super day!!!
Ciao!!!
PS -- sorry --- I wrote the blog, then forgot to post it. A little bit of an emotional (in a good way) morning. I have a doozey of a story for tomorrow. Get your Kleenex ready.

Larch is the main tree family name and tamarac is a specific larch.
ReplyDeleteThere are some washrooms that are covered in bad graffiti and not very inspiring. Have a wonderful day all. Jackie
Yes…in Ontario, our Larch trees go by the name Tamarack. What is really interesting about the Tamarack is that it is a coniferous (some people say evergreen), or cone-bearing tree, but it’s needles turn yellow in the Fall and fall off just like the leaves of a deciduous tree. The needles grow out again in the Spring.
ReplyDeleteThe quilted boat - a coracle - was made by the Quilt Quine ( Linzi Upton). I saw it at the UK Festival of Quilts in 2013 or 14. She has moved to Devon but still blogs.
ReplyDeleteI found this blog post where she describes her first steps.
https://thequiltquine.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/what-next-a-corracle/
Her latest post on blogspot.
https://thequiltquine.blogspot.com/