Monday, February 8, 2016

Block a day MADNESS

As if working on ONE quilt that has 365 blocks isn't enough for me - OH NO - I have to work on TWO of them!!!!

I showed you how I was making out on the pieced quilt yesterday.  Sadly - I didn't get back to the little blocks for a number of reasons.  But look at those scrap bins.............


The green with other colors - bin is almost full!

Only shades of green

Yes - it's amazing how much stuff can collect when you start to save scraps.  Thankfully I found these clear plastic shoe boxes and they are perfect for storing scraps.  They can be pulled off the shelf to dig through, yet don't take loads of room and if you are diligent about sorting the scraps, they are always ready to use and easy to get to.

I am very diligent about my scrap boxes and seem to be always pawing through them looking for bits for applique, tiny blocks or whatever.   These boxes also hold loads of memories and definitely keepers at my house. This is ususally the first place I go BEFORE the stash. Of course - I love little things!

Now that I have sorted - or mostly sorted the green, I have to find something to do with that first box.   Hmmmm -   what could I do???????    Got a couple of ideas - I need to be sewing full time - 24/7 if I were to ever exhaust the list of things in my head that I want to sew!  Just too darn curious!

This is the basket of scraps that I haven't sorted through yet - most of them are greens or various shades of green, so what I don't use in this quilt will go into the shades of green box.  I have a feeling that pulling for this big quilt isn't going to make much of a dent in that pile of green!!!!  But sure looks a lot nicer when it's all organized.


To be sorted pile!!!!


Remember - this is what the quilt looks like -

365 Quilt
365 Block Challenge

The dark area is my green.  Looks like a lot will be used, but I don't think it will be enough to make a big difference!!!!   Guess we'll have to wait and see.


So today instead of working at home - I did have to go shopping to a quilt store.  I had ordered the backgrounds for the OTHER block a day quilt that I signed up for.  This one I bought the pattern so feel obligated to work on it   (and I LOVE IT!)  It's all applique.  It's going to take a while to catch up since I only just got my back grounds yesterday and I'm still not 100% convinced that I want to use them.


Backgrounds for the applique quilt
 And while I was wondering around (Village Square Quilt Shop in Burlington)- I saw this bolt of fabric which would be perfect for the backing.  It's not big enough, but I'm sure I've seen this around somewhere - got to find more!!!!   I really like the Village Square and well - I could have spent a WHOLE LOT more time and money, but I needed to get back home.

Perfect backing!!!!

Remember what that quilt looks like........................
Block of the Day 2016 - That Town and Country Quilt
That Town and Country Quilt

I've been watching what the others are doing and their blocks are gorgeous.   I will catch up - just not sure when!!!!!

It was such a beautiful day that the girls and I went to the dog park.  We were there for an hour and they just loved it.  There were loads of dogs to play with and some of them just loved playing in the mud.  Not only were they playing, nope - they were rolling in it. Not Lexi or Sammy!


But the good news is this - I finished quilting my quilt for QuiltCon.  YEAH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!    I do have a confession to make.  I was procrastinating a bit because I wanted the quilting to be just right. After all - there will be THOUSANDS of people at this show and people will be looking and taking pictures and well - I wanted it to be good. I had no idea what style of quilting to do on it - what design and I procrastinated.  I tried several designs - using my cellophane and a sharpie to preview the designs and at last, I was happy.  I started quilting and well - I'm very pleased with the end result.  Sorry - can't show you, but soon it will all be revealed!!!!!!

On that note - I'm out of here!!!!


Have an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment