Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Double wedding ring quilts

 So here we are at Retreat at the Farm. It's a LOVELY house and much larger than I expected. There are only four of us for the next couple of days which is just fine - we each get our own bedroom. Sometimes, it's a good thing to pay a little more and get more space than intended. I love it!!

It was an easy drive to get here - the traffic was great, and the traffic lights were synced, so slightly over one hour of travel time. I love that as well. 


And I'm happy to report that my car was NOT full, not by a long shot. 


My car packed for retreat



I was good - I just have the one container with projects, but I doubt I will get past the big one I brought. More on that in a second. I did bring a few extra things, like our coffee maker, a few extra lights in case we needed them (we won't). You just don't know when you come to a new spot if you might need something. 

The house seems to have pretty much everything that we want. It's dead quiet and dark here at night as well. The beds are soft, the area is shaded by trees, and a very nice place. We'll come back. As a matter of fact, we have another date booked much later in the year. 

I decided to bite the bullet and get to work on that double wedding ring quilt. As I looked at the mess of components in the box, I decided the only way to make this happen was to lay it out. So I took over the floor in the "quiet room," which is just a random extra room. And then there's the bowling alley room as well. We're not even using that. 


Starting to layout the double wedding ring quilt


Paula had selected and cut three different background fabrics - different values of yellow and white and I wasn't sure how that would work, but it's going to be just fine. 

I had a couple of blocks made, and I laid those out and then laid out some components for more blocks. Thankfully, I put one of my small mini-design boards into my bag. So I load up ONE block at a time and walk to the opposite end of the house to sew and press the block. This is good for FITBIT steps!!


And this morning, this is what the quilt looks like. I'm aiming for five rings across the width and six down. 

The double wedding ring quilt this morning


And my components are laid out on this random bed in the quiet room. For whatever reason, I thought there would be enough components for two quilts. But I'm not sure. I'll just keep sewing the blocks together, and I hope to get at least half of the quilt sewn together here. Slow and steady, and I've got great companions to keep my brain occupied. 

The components of the double wedding ring


Speaking of good company, look at what they bought me!


My new water bottle




Personalized just for me! I love it -- and it's HUGE, so my goal is to drink at least one full container per day. I'm bad with drinking water. I certainly do not drink nearly enough. 
Personalized water bottle




OH --- here's what the sewing room looks like. So much light coming in those windows. It's awesome and has good lights overhead. There was one point in the afternoon where the sun was a bit troublesome. I almost needed sunglasses to sew! But I can live with that. 


The sewing room




I did go for a walk yesterday afternoon. It was a bit hot, but not much traffic on the road past the house, which is gravel! So when a car goes by, turn your head and keep your mouth shut!

We are super healthy. NO junk food - I'm so proud of everyone! 


Well, everyone is up now, and I've got a LOT of work to do today. We're going into town to visit the local quilt shop, which is about 5 KM away. And I might walk to the Tim's (about 2.2 KM away) just for the sake of going for a walk. I need (my personal goal) is 11.5 KM each day, and well, that requires at least two walks. 

Don't forget there's a new QUILTsocial post today. Shoot -- I can't find the exact link, so I'll post that tomorrow. 


Have a super day!!!!  It feels GREAT to be on vacation with no worries!!!

Ciao!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment