Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Two steps forward and one step back

 

Well, it was a pretty productive day, but not without a couple of naps - yes, two of them! I guess I'm making up for lost sleep from the retreat? I can't imagine working in an office and not being able to have a nap. I mean, there are times when I need that nap. I can't function without it. Taking a cat nap is such a great idea, as I feel great afterward! And this isn't a question of wanting a nap - it literally needs one as I'm falling asleep. I wonder why that is? 

One part of the writing assignment is done, and I've got loads of prep done for the next part, so that was good. 

At one point, I had the embroidery machine and the long arm going at the same time. So I can get lots of steps as I walk from one machine to the other. I spent lots of babysitting the quilt and the embroidery machine as I cut threads, changed threads, etc. 


The embroidery machine is working way in the background



Then as luck would have it, the bobbin ran out on both machines at the same time, and the phone rang at that moment, so both machines sat idle while I took the call!!

Bobbin running low


I was merrily working away and decided it was time to go for my walk. However, I got a bit of a surprise when I came up the stairs, and it was dark, and when I looked out the window, it was pouring rain. 


A little bit wet



And it was pouring rain in the backyard as well!

I ended up going for my walk after dinner. And then I was back to finish up the giant quilt. I need to trim some quilts today so the customers can pick them up.  


Customer quilt - DONE


I was putting off starting that paper pieced block. Not only am I changing the size of the block (reduced from 18" to 9"), but the colors are totally different, and well, I just can't wrap my head around the changes. Now, why is that? But we must get this done. So I now have this section done. 


Paper pieced section



However, there is a MAJOR issue with this pattern, which I didn't create. Can you spot it?? I know it's a challenge with just seeing one section. But look at the pattern. See the angle on number 3? Then look at the angle of number 4. They should be the SAME. In the colored picture, that's the red beside the black. That will NOT match up to the next section. So I'm going to have to redo that part. 

Those angles should be the same



And I'll have to change the pattern for the other three sections. GRRRRRRRR!!!!  I had spotted it before I started to piece the section, but well, I didn't act on it. Like I said, my brain is NOT happy with this pattern, and perhaps that was one of the things it didn't like, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I'm not sure why that wasn't caught before? Surely when the block was originally created, that angle issue would have been spotted? 

OK -- so I just fiddled with the block - not only is that angle wrong, but there's another block component that doesn't work. OK -- I'm just going to suck it up and recreate MY own version as I was going to do in the first place. Then it'll be super easy to put the fabrics in. If the block doesn't get done for tomorrow, I can live with that, and it will be right! My brain just doesn't compute with partially right!

So my block may not be done for tomorrow. And if it isn't, well, I'm OK with that. The hardest part was putting the colors in the right spot, so it technically shouldn't take that long to make it happen. 


I must get that darn dishwasher fixed. Handwashing dishes? Well - I haven't done that for years, and it takes up a lot of time. So I must work that into the day as well. 

Well, that's it for me today. I must get myself in gear and get lots more work done today. 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment