Saturday, September 2, 2023

A race across the world!

That mental health day was good! It got me fired up to get to work yesterday! And while I don't have much to show for it, I feel accomplished. 

I'll be back on the road soon with SVP and have events in Edmonton and Saskatoon. So -- if you're going to be in that area, here's what's happening. 

On September 11 and 12, I'll be at Central Sewing in Edmonton. There are three events - 

Monday - September 11 at 9:30 - 12:30 -- Adventure in Applique -- this is EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about applique and more!! The lecture is NOT about how to do applique, but what are the possibilities in the applique world and what tools/technology we can use! Of course, I throw in tips -- I can't help myself. 

Tuesday - September 12 at 9:30 - 12:30 - mySewnet - all about the technology for machine embroidery. So much is now interconnected - embroidery machines, software, how we get embroidery designs, and we'll take a tour of it all!

Tuesday - September 12 at 1:30 - 4:30 - Accessories and more --- I'm going to pick some of my favorite accessories in the Husqvarna Viking world, and I'll be providing tips and tricks to use them more. 


You can sign up for these sessions on the website of the Central Sewing store. Check under the class tab -- or use the link above. We will have loads of fun, and you will be sorry if you can't make it!!!!



And then off to Saskatoon (Sept 14 and 15) for more teaching at The Sewing Machine Store. I don't have time this morning to give you those details. You'll get them tomorrow, but you can always browse their website. 

Educators can't be everywhere all the time, so if you can -- check out those lectures above -- they are CRAMMED with information and loads of samples. I'm revamping my presentations and making a few new samples. I'm focusing on the Husqvarna Viking brand in Edmonton, PFAFF, and Husqvarna Viking in Saskatoon. But hey -- if you have a different brand and want to check it out -- don't be shy!!! 


I worked on two presentations yesterday and almost have them just the way I want! It's a constant evolution to keep on top of that. Could this be the right formula now? I doubt it -- I'll change my mind in the order I want to present things or add new ideas --- I know I will. And well, I may have to break down and take two suitcases of samples! ACK!!!!! Not because of the quantity but because of the weight. Let's see how the packing goes later this week. 


I also have a couple of events in Ontario in September, and I'll give you more details in the next day or so. 

Making that much headway was exhilarating, if one can call updating PowerPoint such a lofty goal! 


On the Camino, I met Mick  (from the UK), who offered to send me a couple of British TV shows. DH thinks I've gone to the dogs and am watching too much TV!!! I limit it to one episode of something daily if I'm watching a series. Then I don't watch for months. So technically, it's TV watching, but very selective and not a constant all-evening thing. 

There's a show called Race Across the World, and this was season three. OH MY GOSH -- I watched the second episode last night, and it's crazy. Five teams (two people per team) are given a limited budget (I think it was 2,500 £ per person - the cost of the airfare if they were to fly across the country). So where are they? They were flown to Vancouver, and their goal was to cross Canada. All the way to St. John's, which is approximately 8,000 KM. But NO -- they are taking the scenic route and were routed to Dawson City (a checkpoint). 

Many things are captivating about this show. First, the scenery is gorgeous, and they do a fantastic job of filming it. Second, I've been to most of the places they have shown so far. Does anyone remember Diamond Tooth Gertie's in Dawson City? That was such a HOT HOT HOT day when we were there. Third --- they have to make some crazy choices, as there is NO public transportation in many areas they are traveling. And it goes to show how different Canada is from Europe. If you want to go from A to B in Europe, you get on a train or bus. You can go just about anywhere. In Canada? The public transit system only exists in major cities!!! Even our bus and train systems are sketchy between centers. So you can see the dilemma. 

Many are hitchhiking, but since that is illegal, there are ways to get around that. It's a super interesting show, and I'm loving it! They have something like 6 days to reach each new checkpoint, so some of them are off skiing, touring, or whatever. I think some of the stuff is arranged behind the scenes? I don't know the logistics, but it's a great show. 

Thanks to Mick for sending that my way!!!!

Winter is coming; by the looks of the forest, it's coming FAST. Many areas of the forest floor are littered with acorns. I haven't been hit by any yet, but you can hear them dropping all around as you walk. There are no caps on these ones, but others still have their caps on. I hope those squirrels come down and clean up the mess!!!!

Acorns in the forest

On my afternoon walk, I stopped at the thrift store and spotted a Barbie sewing machine! Oh my -- just what I always wanted!!! I did NOT buy it. I didn't buy anything else either - I was just there checking! And yes -- on some things, their prices are almost in line with buying regular retail. There were two small balls of yard in one bag for $5. I just purchased a similar ball of yarn at Wal-Mart for $2.50. So it's NOT cheaper, but you can get other things you couldn't get elsewhere. I'm not going into the politics of thrift stores. 


Barbie sewing machine


At last, there's the final block of the summer homework for The Barn Star Sampler. Good grief -- those blocks took quite a while to put together, and I wish I could say I'm done! 

Barn Star Sampler block

I still have to catch up on the May homework, so the last three blocks are now cut. I got some sewing done this morning but did not complete a block. 

More blocks are cut and ready to sew

I'm getting to the end of TWO books -- one an e-book and one an audiobook. Both are page-turners --- the characters get themselves into such a situation, and how will they get out? Will the end be good or bad? So many questions!!!! Do you ever wonder if the author knows the ending before they start writing? Or are they sitting on pins and needles as they ponder how to end the book? And why don't we like unhappy endings? 

Then I'm going to swear off books until my trip as I have a lot to prepare! 

And now I'm off to get more done today!!!


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!




1 comment:

  1. If you see any "kitchie" toy sewing machines in the future please give me a call. Although I don't usually collect plastic machines a Barbie machine could sit beside my Holly Hobby machine.

    ReplyDelete