Thursday, September 14, 2023

Family time is important!

Well, yesterday was quiet! I almost don't know what I should chat about! There was something that I thought about yesterday, and well, it totally escapes me as I sit here. 

Let's say that after a day of visiting and all that messing around with travel stuff the previous day, I went to bed and had a LONG sleep. I'm really late getting up for me, and this makes me really late for you back home. 

Yesterday was a totally relaxing day -- the opposite of the previous day. I spent the entire day with Mom and Dad, and we had the best chats about everything and anything all day. It really was a good day. No drama, no upsets - the kind of day that will stick in my memory for a long, long time. I know that sounds kind of silly, but I don't see them that often, so every day is precious.  

I have to say that our family is extremely lucky. Why? Well, for the most part, we all get along, which I think is a rare thing. Secondly, while our parents fought tooth and nail for a long time about where they lived (on the farm versus in town), things just worked out. We don't do a lot of planning (can you tell?), and yet things have worked out, and in most cases, they worked out better than if we planned. 

Here's one thing that I never thought would happen in my lifetime. I'm a crier -- I can cry at the drop of a hat, and so discussing the death of pets, friends, and family members is never a good topic. However, there we were, chatting about death as if it were nothing, and no one shed a tear. So I guess I'm finally growing up (I doubt that) or just coming to grips with death. 

So my Dad and I are interested in similar things --- our tools (OK -- toys) all involve the CNC technology - which involves 3D printers, and cutters of all kinds - I'm into digital cutters, Dad's into plasma cutters, and don't forget the long arm and the embroidery machines. It's all the same technology; it just translates to different devices. 

So, we compared notes on how to create the files to get our respective designs. He showed me stuff that I should know how to do, but I do not. He's pretty amazing when you think he started to learn this stuff in his 80s. Now he's 90 and zips around THREE programs to create a file for the plasma cutter. I was sitting in total awe at what he has accomplished on his own. 

How did he learn? Like a lot of people his age, his formal education ended earlier than high school. But he has the desire to learn and the curiosity to make that happen. I can see him on his deathbed with a computer mouse in his hand -- saying just one more file - I need to create one more file. 

And we were laughing at the store the previous day, saying we would be on our deathbed saying -- please -- I just need to finish this project! There are too many to leave behind!

Oh boy -- the apple did not fall far from the tree! And I thank my parents profusely for giving us the wonder of curiosity! 

But what's the business with hotels? So the previous night (and it was late), I had tried three hotels (one in Lloydminster and two here) before I found an older hotel to stay at - everything was BOOKED. Last evening, when I arrived, there were TWO rooms left. Because who would think to book a hotel in the afternoon? I actually got a huge suite for the price of a room. It's so big that going to the washroom is an adventure, and I can choose between using the bathtub or the shower! 

But the price of hotel rooms everywhere has gone insane. You can barely get anything (in the newer hotels) for less than $200. It's totally outrageous. The price of a hotel in a large city is closer to $400 or $500 a night!!! When I see the number of worker trucks in the parking lots, perhaps hotels need to think of who sleeps in the rooms. If the majority of rooms are slept in by one person, then why not have smaller rooms, and you can have more in each hotel. I certainly do NOT need a massive room for one person. I guess I'm so used to sleeping in an albergue where we don't have privacy, and you share bathrooms. 

Now, we don't need quite that small of accommodations, but smaller than normal would be just fine. Keep bigger rooms for when people come as a couple or families, but most of the time I travel, I'm by myself and would love a smaller room for less money!

OH -- if I was at all worried about my fight red Dodge Charger being a theft magnet, there's no need to worry. I parked beside a bright red Ferrari last night. Let's say there's a lot more variety in car colors here than back home. The majority are still black, white, and grey, but a lot more red cars. I would fit right in here!

The smoke was pretty bad in the air yesterday. It looks a bit clearer here this morning, but it started off nice yesterday and then got heavier throughout the day. 

Well, I'm on the road today as I have events this afternoon and evening. And I need to do a wee bit of shopping before I have to be at the store, so it's time to get myself organized for breakfast and leave. And no -- I did not get a chance to call about my e-mail yet, so still no pictures. Hopefully, today will be a bit more relaxed as I'll be on my own, and I can make that happen!

Have a super day!!


Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment