Sunday, September 24, 2023

Which came first?

We had a great day at Thimble Quilts and Sewing in Lasalle, Ontario. There's always so much to show, and doesn't seem like enough time to show all the samples and explain all the techniques. The poor students who attended went home with their heads spinning from all the inspiration and information!

We had a great lunch chatting with the customers and a good look around the store. A few things came home with me. And I bought fabric - somewhat willy-nilly, which I haven't done in a long time. 

However, I saw some gorgeous batiks and decided that I needed them. Not just because I liked them but because I need to work on a quilt for an upcoming class, and I think these will be perfect. I love the coloring, and it's not the original color I thought I might use, but it works beautifully with the background, as I found out when I got home last night. 

I may need to add to it, and I may need to purchase more, but I'll deal with that later this week. 

I had the embarrassing moment of calling the shop owner by a totally different name halfway through the day, and then do you think I could get that out of my head. It was like my brain had just switched. I was holding a witch pillow when I first used a different name, and I'm blaming it on that! She bewitched me! I managed to get back on track, and then all was good! So weird, though. 

And we did have the most fantastic shortbread you could imagine. I confess that the moment I was done with the first piece, I literally felt a craving for more. That doesn't happen often. 

We arrived home around 10:00 PM but only made it to bed just after midnight, as we had some loose ends (embroidery project!) to finish. I think I'll be napping later today! However, we got everything done that we wanted to, but the sample suitcases will sit in the living room for a few days! 

There is nothing better than a road trip with a companion, especially a driving road trip! We stopped twice, but I didn't feel tired in the four-hour drive home! And we talked about everything and anything! Let's say I got to know Claire better than I knew her!

Traveling can sometimes be a pain regarding what to eat and when, and for the last two days, I think I ate less than I would if I were home. And today is not going to be any better. 

We spotted this while walking through the parking lot to Tim's the other night. 

Who drives this car?


I've no idea why or how that was there, but it was hilarious. "Honey - I shrunk the car!" I'm surprised that no one had run over it! 


And here's a couple of pictures that were hanging in my hotel room. Doesn't that scream flying geese to you?  


But this one? That's the Dutchman Puzzle quilt block. Both of these were painted!!!! 




Now, here's the ultimate question -- which came first? Did this design as a quilt block come first, or was the design a long-known one that was made into a quilt block? 

So I popped over to Google, and this is what I found. But -- it doesn't answer my question! \

It is a very old, very traditional pattern and, of course, goes by several other names. It appeared in the Ohio Farmer in 1894 as the "Wheel" and again in 1898 as the "Dutchman's Wheel". The Ladies Art Company called it "Dutchman's Puzzle," and that is what I believe is the most commonly used name for this block. April 7, 2020

If you think it will get calmer around here, think again! I'm off on another adventure in about one hour, and you'll see where tomorrow. The beauty of this crazy time is that I don't have to worry about juggling classes because nothing is scheduled until October 1. But when I'm back, there will be little time to finish prepping, and then I'll be back into the swing of classes. 

And I had a peek at my walking challenge, and I'm behind! I've managed to eke out 5% of the distance in 9% of the time. This is NOT like me, but there hasn't been time to walk. That should change today? I can easily make up the time, and the worst of the crazy travel is over - I hope! 

I may take a wee bit of it with me to do some planning. OK -- not much planning, but thinking ahead is always a good idea! 

So I must go and get myself organized for the day. 


Have a great day!


Ciao!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment