Sunday, September 10, 2023

Used books

SHOOT --- I forgot to mention yesterday that the Heartfelt Sampler is a ZOOM class. So, if you are interested in signing up, send me an e-mail, and I'll get you the details and how to get signed up and get your pattern. elainetheriault@gmail.com


Yep --- I know I must follow up with the doctor and my knee. Just seems like there is NO time, but I NEED to make time. I have already had X-rays and an ultrasound but haven't called for the results yet. I may need to go to an MRI, but let's see what these tests reveal first. 

However, my bags are packed, and I'm leaving today for a bit. I have some events in Western Canada. I don't want to say that I panic-packed, but I have the luxury of two suitcases of samples (not by choice), so I could be a bit "careless" in what went in the suitcases. All is good, but I think I had better get a bit more organized before I hit the store tomorrow! 

Even though I was gone for much longer, packing for the Camino was so easy! I had a small bag that weighed 6 KG at most, and I just needed clothes and a few other essentials. This trip? I've got three suitcases - two with samples (close to 50 KG), one with clothes and my portable office in the backpack! I think this is the most luggage I have ever traveled with, and I'm not a fan! But it should be my last plane trip with lots of luggage this year, so that's good. 

The other thing with traveling for work is, do I have the appropriate files? Should they be on the shared drive, the laptop, or USB. Do I have the right charging cords, etc.. Always a ton of things to think about. But all is done, so whatever I don't have - I'll buy or fake!

I puttered at small things yesterday and, at the same time, did some tidying in Studio B. While it's still a working studio with things all over, it's in much better shape! 


I trimmed the customer quilt --- OK -- so I LOVE the plush stuff for the backing, but this was extra thick -- almost a two-sided fabric, and it was nasty when I trimmed it. I cleaned it as best I could, and the rest will disappear. But what a mess!!!!!

After trimming a quilt with fluffy backing


I promised my Mom that I would lengthen one of her nightdresses, and it's been sitting on the cutting table for months. I had purchased the fabric months ago, so I just needed to do the sewing. Of course, I needed to get that finished. I've never worked with jersey before, but I fired up the serger, and away I went. I cut off the original hem and then added about 10 inches. Then, I decided to use the cover stitch hemmer to do the cover stitch. OK -- the cover stitch worked like a charm, but I failed at keeping it even. That jersey is SLIPPERY!!!! 

The addition to the nightdress


The bottom line is that she won't notice as the excess is on the inside! I am going to make her a new dress as well, but that is not for today. So, there will be more fun and games working with jersey fabric in the future. 


Let's say that having an air-threader serger is heaven! I'm using the Husqvarna Viking Amber Air S600. Before, I would try to do everything in a 4-thread overlock so I could just tie off the threads. Not so with the air threader. You simply cut all the threads and start the threading process from scratch. I think I went from a 4-thread overlock to a cover stitch in about 2 minutes. And that involved changing the machine to cover stitch mode and threading. Yep --- do NOT take my air-threading serger away from me!!!

I had to get some sewing done as well. I'm notorious for leaving small things like one half of an invisible zipper that needed to be sewn in. So that got done. Look at my HUGE spool of black thread. I've no idea where I acquired that, but it's huge. Thank goodness for the telescopic thread stand on the Husqvarna Viking Designer EPIC 2. And if you haven't noticed, you can get an EPIC 2 for ridiculous prices right now as they try to sell off the inventory before the EPIC 3 hits the stores next month. 

A big spool of thread


I picked up four quilt tops from Diane, so those went into the pile of quilts to be quilted for community projects. Did I mention that the Barbie quilts are gone? They were picked up by the Project Linus rep a couple of days ago!!!


More community project quilts

The latest issue of A Needle Pulling Thread is all about traditions. You can get the issues at Indigo or digital from the website. 


A Needle Pulling Thread 


And I have TWO articles in this issue! One on my scrappy log cabin quilt and the other on using the church dash block! Be sure to check it out! 

My two quilts in the magazine


At one point in the day, I came into the living room to spot Lexi standing on the sofa. Why? She must have been trying to show Murphy that this is her spot! Murphy is not keen on jumping on the furniture unless she decides she wants to, and she prefers the chairs in the living room. The sofa is TOO BIG for her! 

AH --- this is MY domain


I finished The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan. While it's a fiction book, it's based on facts that happened in the UK during the war. I especially liked the Author's Note at the end because she explained where her ideas in the book came from, and you can see a bit of reference to the Great British Baking Show. So, if you're into historical fiction, this is an excellent book. 


Somewhere along the line, I started reading Anne Perry, who also wrote historical fiction but based in the 1860s or thereabouts. I'm just finishing up the fourth book, written in 1994. So, the library no longer carries a physical copy of it, and I don't think an audiobook is available. However, this is the beauty of e-books. Remember, I was NEVER fond of them, but we can change! Many older books are available in e-book format, so I should be able to get almost anything I want. 

And check out Anne Perry's life --- very interesting!!!! She passed away earlier this year. 

Does that mean the death of used book sales? I don't mind used book sales; as a matter of fact, I'm kind of sad that I'll likely miss both of the ones I wanted to go to this year. Bad timing with trips. There's nothing more exciting than finding the book you hoped to find! I've had my share of those moments. But getting the hang of reading on my phone -- well, it's a bad thing! I already love to read, but now, having the ability to read on my phone? I'm doomed! I'll finish that fourth book today, and I already have a new one downloaded for the plane. 

And the weather? It just keeps getting cooler. But that's OK -- however, I was quite happy to bundle up under a quilt last night to read. While I did pack a pair of shorts, I doubt I'll need them! But it sure makes it more pleasant for sleeping and walking! 

I guess that's it for today. I have a few things to do before I call my Uber, and with all this luggage, it better be big! 

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!








3 comments:

  1. Back before I got my first e-reader, I used to read 2 books at a time. I always had a book in the car for when I had to wait somewhere. I also had a book on the nightstand for reading in bed at night.
    Now, I only read one book at a time. I have my reading app on the phone and it syncs with my e-reader and knows exactly where I stopped reading last. I love my e-reader and my phone app. I can't remember the last time I read an actual physical book. Although, I haven't gotten rid of any of my books that I own. I've even acquired e-books that I already owned as a physical book. I know, I have a serious problem!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Linda!!! Do you buy books? I'm too cheap! But I can see myself getting e-books of the ones on my shelf. Actually doing that with the Harry Potter series!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I buy books, but only if they are on sale. I get emails from a couple places that notify me of what is on sale. I actually haven't bought a book in a long time and usually just delete the email for the sale notice.
      I also get some from the library, it's similar to borrowing an audio book.

      Delete