Thursday, September 7, 2023

Puttering in Studio B

No bananas for breakfast! It's been so hot, I haven't been walking in the afternoon for THREE days! It's cooler now, so I should be able to get out. Yep -- I could take the car, but where's the fun in that? I'm happy to do without the bananas rather than going in the car to get them. 

And boy, oh boy -- I've been so lazy! I'm getting stuff done but at a snail's pace, which is OK. But when you have loads you want to do? Well, you just take it one day at a time and hope the next day will be better! My shoulders feel really tired, so I booked a massage for today. Maybe that'll perk me up!

I think the biggest culprit is the feeling of having to jump back into work full force next week, and I'm just not ready! It's not that I'm not ready, but trying to keep things under control, wanting to get so much done, it's overwhelming, and when I'm overwhelmed, I don't do well! Believe it or not! Well, I do, and I don't! 

Let's see how today goes. Slow and steady!

I did some puttering yesterday to tidy up Studio B a wee bit. Here's what happened. 

As you know, I've spent enormous amounts of time trying to put similar things together. That way, you know what you have and whether you need more or less of that item. Once in one location, it's an excellent opportunity to sort through everything to make it easier, when you want to find something specific. It was a huge task just putting the things together, but then, slowly, I've been sorting through things to make them usable. 

A while back, I took all my threads, which were in three different places and remain in three places for ease of storage and depending on their use. It's working perfectly, but I still had one basket of thread that I needed to deal with. 

Sorting threads


I think I was able to find a home for half of the threads. Some are tricky to sort, and you wonder if you'll ever use those threads. Just because a thread is on sale doesn't mean it's a good deal!! Or even better -- those spools of FREE thread that we covet but will never use. I used to be big on getting free stuff, but now I'm pretty happy to pass it by unless it meets my standards!

This is what I have left to deal with. 


The last of the thread that needs to be sorted

I know -- I'm almost there, and I should have forged ahead and finished it, but I didn't feel like it. And, like I said, some decisions need to be made about where to place these, so I'll plug away at it and maybe do a couple of spools a day. Or the next time I'm motivated, I may just finish the basket. 


Then, I needed to find some clear vinyl. OK -- I know exactly where that is. 

The drawer of vinyl! 


But I found a whole pile of other stuff when I opened the drawer. Stabilizers, interfacings, and who knows what else. And can you tell me why one person needs so much vinyl?

So then I went through the drawers in that unit. OH -- crammed with stuff that should be better sorted. 


Drawers of stuff


And while I love these units from IKEA, they are a pain if something slips out of a drawer. You cannot just pull the drawer out and retrieve it -- you have to unscrew the drawer from the track and then replace the screws. A job for later. I wonder what goodies are in behind? 


Something stuck behind a drawer


I have two of these cabinets, which need to be sorted. They are somewhat sorted, but not completely. 

The second cabinet


I found a lot of stabilizers in these drawers, yet I never use them. I use the rolls that are on top of one of the cabinets. 



My stabilizers

So, as I'm going to do some embroidery today, I'll dig stuff out of the drawers. The stabilizers could do with a good tidy-up, but at the same time, there are so many different kinds that I must start using them up! No need to buy more! 

And I found these two packs when I was in the drawer for the vinyl. BRAND NEW - never opened - both of them! Freezer paper sheets, which I had totally forgotten I bought, and some sheets of fabric-solvy! Why am I NOT using these products? 



Brand new packages


I am listening to my audiobook, which I need to finish by Sunday, so I don't need to take two phones next week. NO -- I haven't had a chance to make it to the library to see why I can't have more than two libraries in my Libby app. Anyway, I managed to get this quilt backing together. I used some bits and pieces to make this one, but since it's for a scrap quilt, it'll be perfect! That was a pretty good estimate. I grabbed several fabrics, and I had a fat quarter-sized piece left! 




Quilt backing for a scrap quilt


I also made a second backing, but with yardage, so that was one seam and super easy! Now, two of the remaining six Quilts of Valour quilts have backings. But there's no time for those as I need to get a couple of customer quilts done. 


The backing for a second quilt


We had a lot of lightning this morning and thunder and some rain. I believe the heat wave has broken. Yeah!! Not that our house was uncomfortable, but I didn't want to walk in the heat in the afternoon. All is good, and wasn't it just last week when we needed long pants? The weather is mad!

Well, I'm off to get some work done. 

Have a great day!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment