Friday, September 15, 2023

Cruise Control!

Another city -- a different hotel! It's been a long week, and it's not over yet! Today is my last work day, and then a few rest days! Well, not exactly, but at least I'll be on my own time, so to speak! 

I think I say this every time I'm away, but connecting to the internet is so much easier than it used to be. Gosh -- we had to get down on the floor and connect cables and then struggle to dial in, and it was all such fun. Today, most places have free Wi-Fi, and you can easily connect. Some places require more work to get in, but it's not a big deal. 

So, as I was driving yesterday, I remembered the story I was going to share with you. Then POOF -- something bad happened, and that story is gone again this morning. 

Here's the deal -- the roads in Saskatchewan are long and straight. The speed limit on a lot of the highways is 110. I put my RED Charger into cruise control, and all is well. Until I saw the flashing lights in my rearview mirror. 

OH CRAP --- there are two spots along this route where the highway goes through a small town, and they reduce the speed limit. The highway is technically NOT in the town, but there is some business on the opposite side of the highway from the actual town. I know this, which is what makes me mad! I must have been thinking about something else (my blog topic for today) because I totally missed the reduced speed sign, and it just never occurred to me. I got a ticket. 

He didn't offer me any leeway, and I didn't even disagree because it was what it was. I missed the sign, so even if I didn't know the road - I missed the sign. That's what makes me "mad" at myself. But -- I need to pay the darn thing and move on. I knew that car was trouble when I saw it!

I've never gotten a speeding ticket in this province and never on that highway. I don't even remember if I've ever had a speeding ticket. I'm usually a very conscientious driver and obey the speed limit. Yes -- I drive slightly over (as does everyone), but I slow down when the speed does. Oh well -- it happens, so let's move on. At least I didn't lose points! 

There is a second spot on that road where you have to slow down as well, and I was pretty compliant the second time. I never even spotted the RCMP car! 

What is kind of silly, but I see why -- is that people could be turning on and off the highway at that point from both sides of the dual lanes, so it's a safety thing. But for people who drive on the 400 series of highways in Ontario, it's just insane to lower the limit unless there's construction. Lesson learned!!!

I had to laugh because he asked me if I was driving all the way to Ontario. He was probably going to alert police forces along the way to be on the lookout for this bright red car! 

I do NOT like this car -- it's huge and has this raised thing on the hood, which is hard to see over. The seats are not super comfortable, and it doesn't have Android car play (or at least I haven't found it), but the Bluetooth is working, which I don't really need. So -- that car is definitely off my list! It's interesting because almost every car I've ever rented has been Asian-built, and that's what I'm used to driving. Next time - I'll just pass on the North American cars --- too big and flashy! Give me something small, and I'll be happy. 

Of course, at the time, I was happy just to get a car. Let's say that the next time I do this same route, I'll be doing some different planning so I have a better choice of car. 

Once I got to Saskatoon, I went to my favorite bookstore and had a good look around. I think there are two locations for McNally Robinson - one here and one in Winnipeg. I was surprised that it's still very much a bookstore since so many people are buying books online or using their library. Our big bookstores back home have become huge gift shops. While they still sell books, the selection in-store has decreased. 

I found the advent calendar that I want to get -- the new EXIT game one, but I'll get it back home as I know it's in the stores there. I found the book that my Mom wanted, and I checked out the quilt books and bought one. I know -- I do not need another quilt book, but this is Thomas Knauer's book -- Quilt Out Loud, and it's a good inspiration book for those who like words on quilts. 

The magazine section, like the one back home, is pretty dismal. I looked but didn't buy anything. I looked at the quilts that are always displayed in the store - those are put there by the Saskatoon Quilt Guild. And guess what -- they are having their quilt show next month. Too bad I wasn't here then! 

I tell you, that topic is going to drive me mad until I can remember it, but the moment might be traumatic to dredge up!

I had two events at The Sewing Machine Store yesterday, and both were excellent. I say that anyone attending the events is getting a HUGE treat. The information they go home with is huge! So, if ever you get a chance to attend one of our events, get signed up!!! But they were in the afternoon and evening, and we ran late on the last one, so it was late when I got to the hotel. 

Walking? What is that? By the time I get things set up or move to a new location, there just doesn't seem to be time for anything else. I usually make time, but this trip, there just isn't. I haven't even opened up my ebook to read while here. 

I had signed up for a short Conquerer Challenge and finished that yesterday, so I'm still getting steps in, just not as many as I would like. I'll sign up for the next challenge and hopefully get back to some walking after today. 

Now, if I could only remember that topic! Perhaps tomorrow. 


Have a super day!


Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment