Saturday, September 16, 2023

Read the manual!

I remember the story! 

Yes -- as I was returning to my parents' place and driving down the highway, I remembered, and this time I remember this morning! Of course, it had to do with driving, and with the trauma of that ticket -- it went out of my mind! 

As we explore the world of cars or sewing machines or whatever out there, we often see features on one that we would love to have on our version. Right? I want this feature from sewing machine X and this one from the other model or, gasp -- even brand! It happens all the time. 

So, I have cruise control in my car, which is very useful, except when you ignore the speed limit! But what is even better is that I have Adaptive Crusie Control. What is that? Well, it can be programmed to keep your car at a safe distance from the car in front of you. I think mine is set at 150 M or something like that. So, if you're zipping down the road and get stuck behind another car, the car automatically slows down. Sometimes, you're unaware of it until you realize you are driving much slower than before. 

It's a handy feature to have. Would it have saved me from the ticket? I don't know, but it could have. Trust me -- I was extremely observant yesterday, and EVERYONE slows down in construction zones and those two reduced speed zones. People actually respect the speed limits here! 

Anyway, the car that I'm currently driving doesn't have the adaptive cruise control. It just goes until you override it or turn it off. And if there's a car in front of you -- well, you better slow down, move over, or you'll hit it. That's what I discovered the first night I drove from Edmonton. I had to be wary of those cars and trucks in front of me. While my car would have slowed down, this one doesn't! 

The bottom line is if you have a car, you should know how to drive it! Here's the thing. I'm always telling people they need to read the manuals of anything! But have you ever looked at your car's manual? It's huge, and it's filled with SAFETY stuff. I remember looking at my manual when I got my current car, and the first 1/4 or so is filled with common sense safety stuff. I don't remember specific details off the top of my head, but BORING and so unnecessary. WAIT --- if you have common sense, then it isn't necessary. NO common sense? Read the manual. 

However, so much other stuff is buried because the manuals are big. Can they not shorten up that stuff? Make it more fun? Hey --- what about tutorials in the navigation system? Oh -- I bet if I read the manual, I'd realize that exists! I'm sure it's all CYA, so they can't be sued for not telling people that driving a car is a serious and potentially dangerous thing to do. 

Anyway --- that was the story! But it's important to realize that if I wasn't paying attention, the cruise control would have driven me right into the back of the vehicle ahead of me, especially at night when we're tired, it's dark, and attention may be waning. So pay attention!!!

The last event went well yesterday. We had a blast as we made a fun project in the hoop -- a fun fur monster and learned about the PFAFF creative icon 2. Yes-- I have pictures, but I still need to fix the e-mail issue. I swear, there has been ZERO time, which is so unusual for me to not have extra time. 

I drove back last night after the class, and I was tired. So I'm in a new city and a new hotel. I have no idea what room I'm in these days, and I need to keep the little holder handy to figure that out. But this is it -- the last hotel for this trip. Yeah1!!!

I was in bed early and slept like a log. Perhaps today, I'll get out and get some walking done! That'll be later this afternoon, as I have some things that need to be taken care of this morning. And there'll be some more visiting, and that comes first. 

I didn't need to worry about leaving my sweatshirt jacket at the house. It will be warm this weekend, and I probably won't need a jacket! But I do like to be cozy, but I have my jean jacket that I can wear -- I'm sure I'll manage just fine!

I even read a few chapters in my book this morning. Thank goodness for the features of the Libby (audio and ebook) app, as I got asked this morning to download a LONG audiobook. I don't have time right now, so I delayed getting it! Yeah! I haven't tried to add those extra libraries yet, but maybe I'll try later today. 

I need to find something to use as zipper pulls on my backpack. The original ones have snapped off, and I had a few to replace, but a few more snapped on this trip -- the days for this backpack are ending, and I need to find a replacement so I have it when I need it. I'm sure I'll find something around that I can attach so it's easy to open and close those darn pockets! 

On that note, I'm off to find something to eat - thank goodness for free breakfasts! 

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment