Thursday, September 6, 2012

Running like mad - things are back to normal!!!!


Trends - do you follow the colour trends that are published each year? Do you notice certain colours popping up everywhere???  Well I don't follow the trends, but I certainly see trends happening in the fabric world.

However the trend I am talking about has NOTHING to do with fabric. I had to pop into the grocery store yesterday morning. Picked up a box of cereal and some fruit. When the cashier checked me out, she lifted the box of cereal and said "oh that is heavy!". Well not that heavy, but since it was raisin bran, not something filled with SUGAR, it weighed more than most boxes of cereal????   Anyway, when I got home, I took the empty old cereal box to the recycling and then I noticed something................


Old box

New box


Do you notice something??????   Check the WEIGHT of the box..............   Yes - the old was 1.45 KG and the new - 1.24 KG.   And the dimensions are smaller.   First off - what is with the stupid weights????   I mean - make it 1.25 KG?????   But they are trying to pawn off the JUMBO as not so jumbo any more. I didn't note the price, but I would bet the price is the SAME!!!!!!!!


Now this has happened to our fabric as well. When was the last time you bought 45" wide fabric and it was in fact 45 inches wide??????    But the price sure hasn't gone down. I think the example with the cereal boxes is happening everywhere and quite frankly - I think it is insulting. Do the manufacturers think we don't notice the smaller sizes?????   Please - just raise the price, but don't insult me by keeping the price the same and making the box smaller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  


Yesterday I got to do something I love. I spent the day sewing with an old friend and a new friend!!!!!   Julia and Julia!!!!   That was pretty funny - no worry about remembering the new friends name!!!!!


Now unfortunately I can't show you everything I worked on but it will be revealed at the end of the month. However I was also working on another project which I can show you.

Quilt blocks - WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I had to sew these LONG quilt blocks. Now I was thinking that they were AWFULLY long. Then this morning when I got sewing, I realized that I would not have enough fabric to make the required 12 blocks. then I reread the pattern and OOOOPS - there is only supposed to be FOUR  (not five) sections. DRAT!!!!!   OK - so that meant ripping a few seams out and VOILA - there was plenty of fabric for 12 blocks. Gosh - I just got so excited about sewing that I didn't pay attention!!!!   Thank goodness they were big pieces and not many of them.


Julia (who is always dabbling in making bags) made this great case.


Julia's high tech case
 And the case is for what you ask????
It fits an iPad and the key board fits in the front pocket. Nicely put together!!!!!!   Oh yes - the little bag is for the charger. 
 I love how she just grabs pieces of fabric, ribbon, velcro or whatever and whips up some little case!!!!  I know Mary was so IMPRESSED about this, that she still talks about Julia's bags and now Mary has taken to making little bags from left overs. It is actually a great idea - I do have LOTS of those scraps and should do something with them. Oh yes - to find the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other Julia was working on a neat quilt. You sew all the squares together like this..............


Squares that are TWICE as long as wide
Then you cut from bottom left to middle top and bottom right to middle top. Rearrange the pieces and VOILA - the square quilt is now on point!!!!!    Pretty clever and a great way to use up charm squares if you don't know what to do with them.

And thank god for backups. I took my big camera with me and went to take a picture only to realize that the card was still in the computer!!!!!   Fortunately I had my little camera with me!!!!


Julia gave us each a nice jar of homemade past sauce as well. I can't wait to try that.


Doesn't that look delicious!!!!
Thanks Julia and Julia for an EXCELLENT day. Oh yes - did I mention that we had chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I was so excited about one of the projects I worked on that I stopped at Ruti's to get something to add to it. Oh boy - I was there FOREVER. Those girls were very chatty - OK - so we had a great gossip session. Hey - it is the start of guild season after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  


Home to have a quick bite to eat and off to teach MY FIRST CLASS of the season. It is Dragon Star. Remember Dragon Star................


Dragon Star


I believe there are 13 in the class. We are going to work on this over the course of the next year. We talked about fabric requirements last night. I think they all went home shell shocked!!!!!   It is paper pieced so while not complicated, choosing the fabric is a bit of a task. I am sure they will do just fine.

And lastly off to a quilt show meeting where I just had to drop some stuff off.

Back home and yes - the crazy season has begun AGAIN!!!!!!!!!


On that note - I do have another crazy day ahead. But another FUN day with friends and that is what it is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment