Thursday, November 28, 2013

What is a studio anyway?????



Some people say "sewing room", some people say "studio". What the heck is the difference???


My paternal grandparents lived in a small house out in the country and my grandma had a dedicated SEWING ROOM. Isn't that cool - this would have been back in the 1950's. They also had a REAL bathroom - flush toilets and all.  Now if you have lived in rural areas, you know that in the 50's that would have been a HUGE TREAT!!!!

My grandma's sewing room wasn't big, and I would LOVE to have pictures of it. But I doubt that any exist unless my grandpa took a picture (he was ALWAYS taking pictures). How about it Yvonne or Dad????   Ever seen any pictures of that room?????   I don't remember that grandma as a sewist. I do remember her knitting and crocheting, among other crafts.


My other grandma was also a HUGE sewer and often made all the grand kids PJs (I have some of her scraps in my very first quilt that I made when I was 13). She also made other things as well. I remember one jacket that she made me - it was a beautiful coat - made from scraps, but predominantly green. One day when I was at school, I was climbing a tree. Now why did I do that????   Well it wasn't the climbing trees that got me into trouble, it was the falling out of the tree and RIPPING the entire side out of that jacket that got me into trouble!!!  Oh dear - I do not remember what happened to that jacket (did it get thrown out - I doubt it) or did it get fixed?????   I don't remember where that grandma sewed, maybe in their bedroom????

Here is the definition of a studio.................  (according to Merriam-Webster)


stu·dio

 noun \ˈstü-dē-(ˌ)ō, ˈstyü-\
: the building or room where an artist works
: a place where people go to learn, practice, or study an art (such as singing, dancing, or acting)
: a place where movies are made
plural stu·dios

Full Definition of STUDIO

1
a :  the working place of a painter, sculptor, or photographer
b :  a place for the study of an art (as dancing, singing, or acting)
2
a :  a place where motion pictures are made
b :  a company that produces motion pictures
3
:  a place maintained and equipped for the transmission of radio or television programs
4
:  a place where audio recordings are made

No comments:

Post a Comment