Thursday, December 7, 2017

In the neighbourhood


The girls and I took a leisurely walk this morning. As leisurely as a walk can be with Murphy. She has two speeds: OFF and PULLING. It's not the most relaxing thing I've ever done!

But what I did notice is the number of school buses that were picking up kids BEFORE 7 AM. I mean - that's terrible for these kids. I wonder what time they get home? And where are they going? We have perfectly good schools in our neighbourhood. Catholic and Public and in some cases, these kids were getting picked up right next to the Catholic school. Are they going to French Immersion? Is that important enough to get on a bus before 7 AM? I had to ride the school bus 30 miles to get to school as a kid cause I didn't have a choice. I hated it! I feel for these kids!

At least, I get to see what's going on in my neighbourhood now. I was never home before and missed all the good stuff. 

Well - here's an update on what I've been working on. The magazine quilt is gone! Yeah! I'm not sure why that was a tough one to get finished. I love the fabric and I love the quilt. Must have been all the other stuff - who knows? Bottom line - it's gone. Not that I can sit around and relax because I have a couple more deadlines and I can't let things slip. If I'm going to be a professional freelance person, I've got to keep on top of those darn deadlines. More lists - more reminders and it'll all work out. 

The top is done on this UFO. DONE - no borders required - it's the right size!   60 by 72. 

2017 UFO top is done!
Here is the second top that I made with this fabric. You see - here's the deal. The pattern was in a book about half log cabins. I wanted to make one of each style. One quilt is made and long gone and that left these two. Why would I do that? Because I can!  Because I'm an idiot! 

Top minus borders
Here is all the fabric that I have leftover to add the border to the above top and to make bindings. Hopefully, there'll be enough left fabric to make one backing. I don't think there's enough to make two. Not that I'm lacking in backings - there is a ton of backing material in that stash room.

Leftover fabric for binding and borders and perhaps one backing

Now the difficult part is to choose the fabrics for the borders. I could go this way.

Option One
OR
Option two
Interesting - when I saw them in person, I liked Option One, but on the computer, I'm liking Option Two better. I had better hang them both up and see where it's all going.

I don't think I'll have time today as I have a big errand to do - helping out DH with an appointment for his mother. Oh yeah - I hate waiting around doctor offices, but it's the least I can do. Got to find something to amuse me for about three hours.

Then I have to hit the long arm because I have a number of quilts that need to be done ASAP.

I thought I'd show you my computer set up!  Yep - I messed up on the photo, but you get the idea. The laptop has the keyboard and mouse contained in the laptop. The other one has wireless keyboard and mouse so I'm always losing them!

I still need to load that software so currently still switching back and forth.

Two computers are better than one?


But that's not my priority for today. I have a number of e-mails that I MUST get sent or well - it just has to be done today. One of them has been sent - about the Sit n Sew days. I misplaced the paper with the initial e-mails so I reconstructed it as best I could. If you had sent me an e-mail and didn't get one from me this morning, let me know.  I think there are enough names on that list that the dates are going to be FULL without any more notifications! Marlene - your e-mail bounced back. Send me another note! 

Here's the other thing - I hope to place ONE last order for all these tuffet supplies! I can hear you-you just ordered that huge roll of upholstery batting. Well - this is all that's left.





All that's left from my big roll of upholstery batting


YES -- I need more foam, more upholstery batting! 

The plan is to run a class at The Hobby Horse - they're in the process of setting the dates. You'll buy the kit from me and when you leave the class, you'll have a finished tuffet. Oh yes - I've got some tricks up my sleeve to make these process even simpler. Each time we run the class, more ideas. I think we're near perfection now.

Here's the thing - whether you want to take that class or not - let me know if you're interested in the foam or the upholstery batting. I'll do the blog post tomorrow describing what's in the kit and how it works. So you have between today and tomorrow to think about what you want so I can get another order in.  Yikes - who knew these darn things would be so popular!

And I'm trying - really trying to not lose any paperwork. So I have a nice little notebook. And I'm putting sign-ups ups for the sit n sews in that book and the people who want tuffet kits - all in one book. If I lose the book, I'm up the creek, but I think I can manage to keep an eye on that one thing.

I was the guest speaker at the Ancaster Modern Quilt Guild last night. Hello ladies!  They are a fun group and here's the funny part - I bet almost all the ladies were older or the same age as myself!  This Modern movement is taking the traditional quilt world by storm. And we want to make modern quilts from OUR STASHES - we don't want to buy new "modern" fabric. I showed them what I've made from my stash!  Oh - design is so much more important than the fabric. And a special hello to those ladies who came from Simcoe to hear me and everyone else - it was lots of fun!!!!  I'll put a list of my next speaking engagements on my blog soon so if you're in the neighbourhood, you can attend.

And on that note, I can cross a couple of things off my list and hopefully not add any more items today.

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment