Saturday, December 15, 2018

The BIG book of Table Runners

Today it's all about the table runners. Years ago, in 2003 to be exact, I started teaching a year-long class at The Hobby Horse. I took a pattern with lots of different blocks in it and broke it down so that the students would have something unique to work on each month. We started off with one quilt per year, then bumped it to two and at one point, I think I did three. Because of the success, I also taught the same format at Cockadoodle Quilts (now closed), and Sew Sisters (no longer running classes), Ruti's Needlebed (now closed) and Brampton Sew n Serge. FOr 2019, I'll be teaching this type of class at The Hobby Horse, Brampton Sew n Serge, and Oh Look Fabric. Be sure to sign up quickly - the spots are going fast!!!

We've made MANY MANY quilts over the years. I can't find the list this morning, but needless to say, there were many and some of them have been to my UFO pile and I'm trying to focus on getting those quilts done. But we won't go there.

There've been lots of repeat students in the classes and the multiple stores and I thank each and every one of them for participating. Friendships have been formed at these classes with myself and amongst the students.

It's the best way to get feedback on your work - whether it's piecing, color choices, pressing, applique or whatever.

This year at The Hobby Horse, we decided to try something a little bit different (and we did this same thing at Ruti's a couple of years ago). We choose a book with lots of small items (thanks to Joyce for picking the book) so the focus could be on the quilting of the items. The idea was to free motion the table runners, but I didn't really care as long as they were gaining the confidence to quilt. When you get comfortable with the small things, then it's easy to move to the larger items.

It's been an amazing year. I learned from the students and they learned from me. The give and take from the classes has been incredible and the more I teach, the more I learn. Gosh - I think back to 15 years ago - I was a fairly new quilter (5 years). What was I teaching them? They probably could have taught me!

This class is also a social event and students are allowed to bring other non-class show n tell. Over the years, we've tackled some HUGE projects - like the YEARS we did Dear Jane. Oh my - that was huge!

I like to take pictures of the work and then I'm supposed to post it. But I don't think I posted much this past year. Why not? I'm not one who struggles to find topics to post about. There's always something happening in my life. Like much happened yesterday, but you have to wait a few days to hear about it. Today it's about table runners.

Oh yes - so what I did was I went back through the entire year and edited all the pictures of the finished table runner tops or the quilted table runners. There are a LOT as I think I assigned 15 different runners over the year. We did start out with 25 students in the class, but that seemed to dwindle and we ended up with a core group of about 15. Hmmm - what happened to the others????

I can't put names on all of the runners. I do remember a couple of them, but not all. If I know whose runner it is, I'll mention the name. One other thing, not everyone finished the runner in the month it was assigned. No big deal. I'm flexible like that. But I'm going to post the assigned runner picture and then all the ones that were finished.

Here goes........................


The Big Book of Table Toppers

I'm going in order that the runners appear in the book, not the order they were assigned. The first was a string pieced runner. The other thing about the patterns in the book - they made their table runners LONG. This was a good opportunity for students to realize that you do NOT have to follow a pattern to the letter. Make it however long you want it to be.

Ranch String by Natalie Barns

Here are our versions of that block.

No need to make a table runner, use the blocks to make a quilt instead. This looks awesome - those little pops of turquoise make your eye move around the quilt. The sashing is subtle, but it's there. It looks like the width of strips is varied.

String pieced quilt
This one will knock your socks off. Made of solids, but it looks great. The width of strips is varied but consistent (like the pattern). Wow - that's bright!!!  I love it.


Bright table runner

This is Jeannette's. She made fewer blocks than the original and made a table runner with pointed ends. Very cute and I like those bright colors.

Black provides a nice pop to the runner

This is gorgeous. Look how that pink pops all the way through and provides a cool lattice effect. Great use of colors within the blocks. Essentially this is TWO of the table runners together. This would be stunning as a quilt.

The pink provides a great lattice effect
Donna liked to do things in squares! She only string pieced half of the blocks. And it was quilted!!!! This block is a great way to use up scraps.


Donna's table topper
 This is Lynn's version. She didn't like the block. I didn't choose the table runners for the students to like. They were chosen for the style of quilting that I wanted to show them. So Lynn made four blocks so she could try the quilting. Awesome job Lynn!!!!  I don't think she was convinced after making the blocks, but at least she gave it a whirl. A great sample - it's all about making samples!!!!
Lynn's sample blocks

And one more version. This time in soft purples and greens. Very pretty and would look wonderful in a beach house.
Soft greens and purples
This one belongs to Patricia who did something different in the setting. The jagged edges are my editing, not her piecing. I love the runner and yes - a wee bit more of a challenge to bind it, but well worth the effort.
Patricia's table runner



 This last one is mine. It's my finish number 74 for the year. It had been quilted a long time ago but was sitting in that pile of projects to be bound. I did that this past week when Ronda was here.


My finished table runner


I know there were way more table runners in progress. I didn't post the pictures that just had blocks in them. Today, I'm going for finished things. So if you were in the class and finished this table runner - send me a picture.

Onto the next one. This one was called Birds of a Feather by Melissa Lunden.

Birds of a Feather by Melissa Lunden


This is neat. She made the background dark and the flying geese are in various colors!

Dark background for the table runner

The background on this next one is light and all the flying geese are the same color. That helps to cut down on the choices for fabric. It has a very mesmerizing effect with that background fabric. This one is BOUND and finished!

Two colors were used in this runner
 This one belongs to Ronda. I remember because purple is her favorite color!  She quilted it using the ruler foot, even though it's straight lines. I don't care - it's quilted.  I believe has since put the binding on.
Ronda's table runner

Here's another finished table runner. I LOVE the choice of fabrics in this one. It looks awesome done like that.


Great choice of colors

These last two are mine. I made two - why make one, when you can make two!!  They are NOT quilted. I did one with the light background and one with the dark background. I think I like the dark background the best. I only used two colors for each of the runners.


My two runners


OK - we have 13 more runners, but those will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm late today - a long story and I need to get my butt in gear.  But stay tuned for tomorrow when I'll finish up the homework for the table runner class. Next week, I'll tackle the Vintage Farm Girl class.

But isn't this exciting to see the different versions of the same runner?  That's part of the fun of this class. You get to see how different they look with different choices of fabric. I'll be posting the new classes later this week as well - well next week I guess. If you want a peek at the offerings, check out the links at the beginning of this post.


Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment