Monday, December 24, 2018

Progress report


I'm feeling so much better today! The fuzzy head seems to have cleared up and that's a good thing. I didn't get much done yesterday and I'm OK with that. Yes - I have a sinus issue but will head to the drug store this morning to get something.

The big news of yesterday - we have company. The little man is back and he brought his handler this time. The handler is off to the airport right now to pick up the boyfriend. Oh yes - it's going to be a fun Christmas. It sure feels weird to have M back in the house. I do say that I miss her but I put her to work when she got here and we did make a dent in the boxes of "stuff" that remains in her room. She promised more so that is going to happen. I want that stuff cleared out - most of what's there is garbage or give away.

Bear is back!!!!



My two girls were ecstatic and Murphy just won't leave him alone.

Two more small finishes for the year.  This is a small basket or container or whatever you want to call it. I made it last year but it was three squares high and had handles on either end. I hated it because it was too high for the length. I goofed on the size - it was supposed to be five squares long. So it sat and was never used. I took it apart earlier this year and removed the top row as well as the handles. Now it's back together again and I love it. It sits on my sewing machine table and it the catch-all for stuff which I clean out on a regular basis. This is finish number 82.

Little basket - DONE


This next one has been half finished for a long, long time.   It's finally done. Next time, I might remove the handles or at least make them smaller. I'm thinking just a tab on each end might be sufficient. And this is finish number 83. The instructions for this one are still on the Northcott website. 


Another basket - DONE
 Amazing what a little bit of stitching can do to shape the basket. This is before the corner stitching happened.

Before the corner stitching

I did a wee bit of sewing. There are not a lot of pieces left in the baggies for Misty Pines. Matter of fact, I've emptied a couple of them. Yeah!!  I'm down to the easy part now. And so far - all the pieces are there. I can't believe that I custom cut 20 (or more) kits for that quilt. I must have had a weak moment!  But it was the most efficient way to use up the fabric.

All that's left to sew together for Misty Pines

And the stack of finished bits gets bigger. Soon - it'll go on the design wall. I might just get this UFO finished this year!

Bits for Misty Pines

What did I mostly do yesterday? I read quite a bit and then I worked on that puzzle. I know - once I got started, well, I can't seem to stop working on it. It's not super hard, but it's not that easy either. I'm down to the hard bits. Body parts - lots of body parts. I grab a piece, scour the photo to find the spot where it goes and then plunk it in place. Most of the time!

The jigsaw puzzle status

The best part? The more pieces I get in the puzzle, the easier it becomes. Maybe today? Since I only have two small errands to run. And I may or may not feel like sewing. I'm so close to that 100 finished items - only 17 more to go, and there are enough projects around here that are about 1 hour each from finishing. It's doable. Just depends on me and how I feel. Don't worry - I'm not overdoing anything. Maybe this sinus issue was a means of making me slow down? No - just the fuzzy head was enough. Amazing since I wasn't hit that hard or so I think.

Since the pictures have been edited, I'm going to post today about how to make the pet mats. I know some people have asked how to make them. Before you even start, make sure that you have a home for them. Make one and show the people you want to donate them to and see if they want them. No sense making some and then have no one to give to. Cat shelters or cat rescue places are the best places to check.

I collect scraps from cutting in a basket on my cutting table. ONLY fabric and batting scraps go in here. When it's full or overflowing like in the picture below, it's time to make a mat.

Overflowing scrap basket
I take a pillowcase and cut it in two. You could use anything here - scrap fabric, old sheets - you name it but don't make them too big. I serge the bottom end of the top part so now I have two bags. 


Pillowcase is cut in two

See - there's the serged bottom edge of the top half of the pillowcase closed. And I tucked the loose thread ends into the seam.

The top part of the pillowcase is serged closed
Then I loosely stuff the pillow. Best to include batting with the fabric as it helps to keep the weight down. Then I serge the bottom end. If you don't have a serger, you could sew those edges. 


Cat bed is stuffed and the edge is sewn closed
Then I use a very thin bodkin needle and thread those loose ends back into the seam. 


Use a bodkin to thread the loose ends back in the seam
 In this photo, you can see the bodkin in the serged seam.

Bodkin being used to tuck in the loose seam


If there's any excess thread, I just cut it away.


Cut away the extra length of thread
And there's the nicely finished corner. If I'm making a cushion cover or something good, I'll dab a spot of Fray Check on that thread to prevent it from working out. Should probably do the same thing for the cat beds since they are worriers, but I don't.


Nicely finished corner


This bed was to be delivered last Saturday, but alas, it's in my car so hopefully, at some point in the near future, I'll get it back and it can be delivered.

I finished a novel yesterday and started a new one. NO more books from the library. I'm really really trying, but I'm not sure what happens. More on that another day. But I did log the book into my database and there are now 492 novels in the database that I've read!!!!  That's crazy but I'm sure that's a paltry number compared to some people who track the novels they read. That's since the beginning of 2007. That does not include the non-fiction that I read and I read a fair amount. It's not one for one, but I bet it's about 1 non-fiction to 4 novels????  So I'm guessing that I average about one book a week, whether it's fiction or not. Even if I'm busy - I still read.

On that note, I'm out of here. Got loads to do today - no I don't - who am I kidding. It's Christmas Eve. I will have two men in the house (one is a Red Seal Chef), the other is my personal chef. I don't think I'll need to do a thing for Christmas dinner. Yeah!!!!  Heck - I don't even have to worry about the menu - just make sure I have cranberry sauce with my turkey - that's all I ask.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment