Saturday, December 1, 2018

Way up north!

It's amazing what one can do when you put your mind to it.

I finished the binding on that quilt that needed to be sent. Unfortunately as I was binding it, I realized that it needed a quilt sleeve as well. Oh shoot - I've got to perfect the technique of putting a sleeve on with the sewing machine. I've done it before - I MUST learn how to do it better. It takes time to hand stitch a sleeve on. I ended up pinning it - there was literally no time for anything else.

I ended up grabbing bags and winging stuff in so I could get ready and leave by noon. I left at 12:04 which was pretty good considering all that had to be done before I left. I even had lunch!

While I had a long drive ahead of me, it was going to take even longer as I had a few errands to do along the way. It was pretty funny actually how that worked out.

First stop - I dropped a book at the library. That was easy. Then to the UPS store to ship the quilt. Then I dropped a quilt off at Brampton Sew n Serge for a customer to pick up. Had a chat with the owner about an upcoming class. I believe it's in the newsletter that just came out yesterday. I'll be teaching a Kimberbell quilt at Brampton Sew n Serge in the new year. It'll be a multi-part class but there's a difference. You'll bring your sewing machine and we're going to work on the quilt in class. There are three quilts to choose from - Halloween, Christmas or a general one. There are two different versions of patterns - An embroidery version and and a regular sewing version.  This is going to be a super fun class. I'll be making the sample next week. In the meantime, you can check out the quilts at Kimberbell Designs. Hello SunshineChristmas, Halloween    After you see how much fun the embroidery version is - you may just want to treat yourself to a new sewing/embroidery machine!

Then I hit the real highway. I had to stop in Orillia at the Book Re-View to pick up a couple of books that they had found for me. A quick stop at Thimbles and Things to get some bag hardware that I needed and couldn't find at home. OK - any excuse to stop by and say HI!

Back on the road where the next stop was the quilt store in Bracebridge - Quilting in Muskoka. I was there to use the gift certificate that a friend had won at the big shop hop a couple of months ago. She had attempted to get there a couple of weeks ago, but bad weather held her back. I offered to spend her money for her. That worked out great, except that I spent money as well! That wasn't so great!! I hadn't been to that shop in a while - not since the Quilter's MisBeehaven retreat closed several years ago.

That was the last of my errands and then I hit the road for real this time and headed towards North Bay. The roads were in perfect condition. Clean and dry - just the way I like them. It's very pretty up here - the trees are loaded with snow and there's ice on the rocks along the side of the road. I would have stopped for pictures but no time! I wanted to get to my destination.

It was dark by the time I arrived in North Bay where I filled up the gas tank and bought some munchies for the road. I haven't been on this highway in years! Traffic was good and I was able to make great time all the way. Then I passed through New Liskeard, but I was going even further north. I had thought about staying in New Liskeard last night, but decided to push the next 25 km and get to my destination - Earlton - the home of The Quilting Barn.  There is a massive sign about 5 km outside of town alerting the quilters in the car of a quilt store! I love it!!!!  At least I know I'm in the right place.

There is one small motel here in Earlton. We're not talking the Ritz, but it's clean and was quite comfortable. I unpacked most of the stuff from the car as I need to reorganize for today and then repack it all again. Better to do that here in the room than outside or at the store.

It was 7:30 when I arrived at the motel and after I unpacked the car, I just chilled and read until it was time to go to bed.

And fancy this - even this small hotel in the middle of nowhere has WiFi!!!!  WiFi is everywhere!

I would have been sunk otherwise as yesterday was the deadline to enter quilts into Quiltcon and of course, the link has been open since July, but I wait until the last possible moment when I'm 600 KM north of home to get that little detail done. I took pictures and edited them before I left but I had forgotten to take the measurements of the quilts. A quick text back home and I was able to get what I needed. While I struggle with technology sometimes, you gotta love how connected we all are!!!

I kept meaning to download an audiobook to my phone so I could listen on the way up. But I listened to CBC which came in loud and clear way up here. That was entertaining and kept me awake the entire way! I must remember to download the audiobook for the way home!

And so I'm getting ready for my presentations today and just hanging out in my room.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

3 comments:

  1. Safe trip Elaine, but check to make sure you can listen and drive, I seem to think it is classed as distracted driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks --- I know what you mean. I certainly couldn't do the audiobook thing in the city. I saved it for the long highway drive. Music tends to put me to sleep!!!

      Delete
  2. ( IMPORTANT )A MUST READ ,
    Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this Dr AISHA ,have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his email address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 7 days that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy , THANK YOU DR AISHA
    once again check out my page and contact me for immediate solution......https://web.facebook.com/Lady-Aisha-The-Great-Spell-caster-495722907583872/?modal=admin_todo_tour or WhatsApp +1-442-243-3652 or EMail me aisharealspell07@ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete