Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Table Runner Show and Tell - Part Four


Holy - this is the fourth day of the table runner show and tell. There were a lot of table runners worked on in that class. If you didn't submit your photos, it's too late. This is it - last day and somehow I still have a ton of photos to share with you. 

Check back to the last three days of posts if you haven't been following along.

Day one of the table runner show and tell
Day two of the table runner show and tell
Day three of the table runner show and tell

The first runner today is called Pinwheels by Terry Atkinson


Pinwheels by Terry Atkinson

Somewhat reminiscent of a log cabin with a pinwheel in the center. Keep in mind that I would assign a couple of runners each month and the class could do any or all or none of them. It was their choice and I did try to choose runners where we could chat about a different aspect or style of quilting to fill the space. I didn't have many takers on this one.

This one belongs to Sarah. It wasn't quilted at the time I took the photo, but I bet she's got it done by now. Love the soft color palette.

Sarah's version of Pinwheels

As I mentioned the other day, I had started several other runners or at least pulled fabric for a couple in addition to the ones you've already seen. When I started this series of posts, I couldn't find the bag where the projects were stored but then on Day Two, I located the bag on in that messy corner.

In some cases, there was just fabric pulled for a project but which project? 

This was pulled for which table runner?
And this bundle? What runner was it pulled for???

Which project?
I might go back through the patterns to see if I can remember which ones I chose those fabrics for. There were a couple of runners that I ended up not assigning so it could be one of those. Yes - towards the end of the class, I stopped assigning runners so that the class could catch up and get quilting and stop piecing which we're all very good at!!!

I also found this pile of strips. After a wee bit of research, I realized that these strips were cut to make the Pinwheels table runner. It's a pretty easy table runner so it's going in the piecing pile to finish before the end of the year.


My strips cut for the Pinwheels table runner

The next runner which was one of the first ones we did was very popular. And it's super easy. Actually, a lot of the runners in this book are easy. It's a great book. See Day One for details on the book.


Rungs by Karla Alexander

Again, this runner was LONG. I wonder how or why that happened??? This one is Ronda's. It's quilted in the photo - she used her Westalee rulers to do straight lines. I'm good with that - she found a way to get it quilted and that's all that counts. I gave her the fabrics for this one. We were at a retreat in February and I made her a kit! Nice color combo - my new favorite - green and purple. 

Ronda's version of Rungs

This is Sarah's version of the table runner. YES - Sarah did a lot and I'm certain that she ended up quilting all of her runners. That was the point of the class and the only way to really learn what quilting is all about. I really like her straight line quilting on this one.

Sarah's version of rungs


Here's another version made up in purple and gold. Very striking. 

A purple and gold version of Rungs

This one is my version. Hot pink, orange, and purple. Looks like a sunset!  I love it and it's finished. It's been finished for a while. I'd have to check my book to see the number. Just checked - number 60 - not as far back as I thought!

My version of Rungs

The next one is called Berry Easy by Mary Jacobson and Barbara Grovers. A very cute and simple table runner with lots of squares.
Berry Easy by Mary Jacobson and Barbara Grovers

This is Lynn's version. While I like the front of it, it's the back that I'm in love with. She used her embroidery machine to quilt some straight lines in the main blocks. And then because she didn't have a pattern for the same design to fit in the triangles, she did that with her walking foot. I know I have a picture of it somewhere although you can't really see it (which you're not supposed to).  But she did an amazing job. Again, she found a way to get it quilted and that's what the class was all about.


Lynn's version of Berry Easy
Next one up is Sarah's. Yes - she a new quilter and she was busy, busy, busy. It's not quilted in the photo, but I bet she has it done now. Nice bright jewel tones!!


Sarah's version of Berry Easy
 This is my version of the table runner. I raided my veggie fabric stash and cut up veggies in squares to make the runner. I love it. Unfortunately, it's still in the "to be quilted" pile.


My version of Berry Easy

And the last table runner that I assigned was Totally Taupe by Mary V. Green. I love this table runner.

Totally Taupe by Mary V. Green
 Guess who made one? Yep - that would be Sarah. For someone who had never done applique before - she did an amazing job. And it was quilted beautifully. She's come a long way in the quilting department. No fear -ah heck - she's younger than us so she's not inhibited by fear of screwing up. Awesome job Sarah.


Sarah's version of Totally Taupe

I have a couple more pictures to share with you. Vivenda sent me some photos and all of them were of FINISHED table runners. That's super exciting!!!

This is the Flying in Formation runner. Look at the quilting!!  I LOVE IT - that's one of my favorite fillers and it's works so nice with this runner!!! Awesome job Vivenda!!!

Look at it quilting in this one!!!

This belongs to Vivenda. It's her version of Confetti. It's quilted and bound. Nice job on the stippling.


Vivenda's version of Confetti

I have to laugh at the next one. I must have assigned it, but I don't remember. It was on my list and I even did some work on a version. This one is called Star Spangled by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene.

Star Spangled by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene

This one belongs to Vivenda. Notice that it's quilted and bound!!  But have a look at the coloring. While I struggled with colors for this one and I have to confess that I don't like the original coloring, Vivenda did a smash up job of choosing the positive/negative. I LOVE THIS one.



Vivenda's version of Star Spangled


 I found the bag with my bits. I wonder if I could rethink the colors and use what's already been made???  Something to ponder before the end of the year. 


My bits for my version of Star Spangled
This next one was on my list to assign, but after I started it, I thought it was too much work so I didn't include it in the homework.


Nothing by Pinwheels by Ellen Pahl

I got as far as making these blocks and then the project got shelved. I think I might just be able to finish that before the end of the year.

My blocks are complete for the table topper

 One last picture. Here's the striped fabric that I was going to use to make that table runner with the stripes in the blocks. I couldn't find a suitable color for the setting triangles. This brown was in the bag - was that for the setting triangles??  No idea and not sure that I'm going to make that one.

Striped fabric pulled for a runner



I think you can see by my projects that it makes sense to label stuff if you're going to shelve it!!!!


There you have it - the most amazing show n tell from out table runner class. The students did an amazing job and at the last class, they got up one by one to show their favorite runner or the one that they learned the most from. It was so heartwarming to hear their stories and how much more confident they are now than when they started. That was my intention and I just love their enthusiasm and excitement and the number of light bulb moments we all shared in the classes throughout the year.

Thanks to all of you who participated!!!!  You all did a fabulous job!

Tomorrow I need to share with you what's been going on in my life over the last four days. Leaps and bounds I have to say. I'm positively relaxed with no deadlines. How can I function like this???

Have a great day!!!!!


Ciao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment