Friday, February 8, 2019

Storing quilts

I often get asked where I store all my quilts. Hm - that's a good question. Where do I store them?

I guess I don't really store them since they're all over the darn house! The ones that we use on a regular basis are on the sofas or chairs. A couple of them are rolled up in baskets for a decorative touch in a couple of spots. A few hang on the walls. NONE are on beds! Oh wait - there is one on a bed.

The rest - well, sadly they are in heaps and piles. Have a look.

The smaller items are thrown on this table. Along with journal covers, and a couple of bags. These ones used to be in the studio, but I'm trying to put LIKE things together. So it makes sense that all finished items be in the same spot. This table is in one of the upstairs bedrooms.


A table filled with small finished quilted items
Then there are some boxes and bags that have more 3D stuff in them. Pillows, more journal covers, and more bags. 


Boxes filled with finished things

I have a quilt rack in the upstairs hallway. There are three or four quilts piled on it. Notice that all the quilts are folded with the wrong side out so no fading on the front. And they get moved around a fair bit so shouldn't be too big of a deal with sun and fading. But I'm mindful of that.

A quilt rack holds several quilts
But here are the BULK of the quilts. Folded in a variety of ways and haphazardly tossed over the railing upstairs. Most are folded with the backing out. Even though that window is supposed to be Low-E, I know the sun can still be damaging. Yes - it can be damaging to the backing, but they get moved around a fair bit so no one stays in the same position for very long.  How many are there? I've no idea.


Finished quilts hanging over the upstairs railing
WAIT - there's more!!!! 

Yep - we have another railing upstairs and it's also covered with quilts!!!!   These are all finished as well. Some may need a label attached or a sleeve removed or put on. 


More quilts on the other railing

And there are two large quilts that hang in the hall as well.

A quilt hanging on the wall

I have sometimes wondered how strong that railing is and even DH asked me that question the other day. Well, I have a plan for storing those quilts which I'll share with you when I get to it. I want to look at each quilt and see whether it needs label/sleeve work done. Then I may even get so ambitious as to create an inventory. What quilts are needed for which of my five different trunk shows? The ones that I won't ever use in a trunk show will go up for sale. All so ambitious, but fun to look back if all those pictures are in a book so when I'm old and in my nursing home, I can flip through the book and admire all those pretty quilts that some crazy lady made. I probably won't even remember they are my quilts!!! I hope it doesn't come to that. But wouldn't that be neat???

I could have a Volume I and a Volume II. Hmmm - there is stuff I've given away - I wonder if I have information on those???  Oh - I have a box filled with stuff. Now if I wasn't dealing with crap that should have been dealt with years ago - I could be doing that fun project.

Once when DH told me there were too many quilts in the house, I removed all of the quilts from the railings. That was years ago so there wasn't nearly as many as now. Holy cow - it was like living in an echo chamber. It's amazing how much sound those quilts absorb and how much warmer they make the house feel. But that's just me. I bet none of my neighbors have quilts on their railings! Boring!!!!

As I mentioned the other day, I was switching furniture around upstairs. I'll be sharing that story tomorrow. Here's where my batting and other "inside" stuff (like fusible fleece) is stored. It hangs out in one of the bedrooms upstairs.

This is part of the battings

Here's the second half. Those rolls in the right of this picture are the same as those in the left of the photo above. So it's not quite as bad as you think.


Here are the other rolls of batting


Once I start doing more of my own quilts, these rolls will go down pretty fast, but many of my customers bring their own batting which I'm OK with.

I didn't get much done yesterday. OH - that's a lie. I got rid of a ton of e-mails. Anything to do with selling me something - GONE. There's still a lot more to clean up, but I felt good about what I did get rid of. Every once in a while, it's good to have a down day. That was two in a row. I can't afford another day like that today.

I didn't go for a walk yesterday. There's just too much ice outside. And it's just as bad today. GRR - I hate that. While I could go to the gym, which I will because it's YOGA day, I like to get out with the girls. They can go out in the backyard so not like they are NOT getting exercise. It's just fun to get out with them. Hopefully, this crazy weather will settle down? HA - as if that's going to happen.

Got to get my five bags and four boxes onto the front step for the pick-up. What a nice feeling that is to have that much gone through. And I went through one more box yesterday. What a freeing experience that is. I hope to go through another box tomorrow or whenever I'm in the mood. I wish I could stay in this mood until everything is done, but I get bored and mentally, it's tough. So I do what I can. I'm not adding to the problem so whatever I do is all in the right direction. Things are definitely looking up!!!! For years, I've done the junk shuffle. I moved stuff around to "hide" it. But I'm running out of stuff to hide! Except for the basement which we won't go there yet! Its turn will come, but not yet.

On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!



2 comments:

  1. I really like the quilt you have hanging on the wall. I have a quilt cabinet, but I like the quilts to be out - the one on the couches, hanging on the walls, and on the quilt rack. Like you, I think they add a lot of warmth in a room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shasta -- thanks. The quilt on the wall is a scrap quilt. The block is called Triple Four patch. If you search my block for triple four patch, you'll see more of the two different ones I made. Thanks!Elaine

      Delete