Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Travel Day - Day Two


I have to say that we survived the cold night in the hotel room. About 4 AM, I took off my sweatshirt! Although there was a breakfast bar in the hotel, it wasn't really adequately stocked. Waffle mix and the cooker, cereal, with no milk. There was coffee and orange juice of which I didn't have any.  Needless to say we passed on the breakfast. I almost broke down and ate one of the packaged danishes, but I was not allowed.

It was my turn to drive so I grabbed one of my protein bars from my snack bag and I was good. This was the final leg of the journey. Nashville here we come.

We agreed that we would stop at a Denny's and a few searches revealed that one was not that far away. However, we had to turn off to a different highway and Denny's was in the opposite direction. Not going back. Then we started to see signs for Crackerbarrel. Two of us had never been so that become the new destination. Finally, after two hours on the road, we stopped for breakfast. Don't ask.

Surprisingly, they had a yummy bowl of steel cut oats on the menu with a bit of fruit and nuts. It was perfect. Then we were back on the road. I think we were about two hours out at this point. Thank goodness for the bag of snacks, because I wouldn't have survived without eating something. I need to eat.

The roads were dry and it was a pretty uneventful trip. Except that I have very rude traveling companions. I saw lots of stuff along the road and wanted my travel buddies to answer my questions - like what chemical (2587 or whatever the number was) is in that truck? and they wouldn't find out for me. So I started to ask Alexa! Of course, we have no Alexa in the car, but don't you think that would be a good place to have Alexa? I was politely told that we have Suri and Google, but no one had them working in the car.

So hard to find good travel mates!  We did see a few barn quilts along the way. No one bothered to take pictures. Good grief - I can't drive and take pictures!

At last, we were in Nashville. We were early to check in at our house which we rented through Air BnB. We found the house just so that we knew where we were and then popped off to the grocery store since we plan to mostly eat in. Not just to save money, but to eat healthier. It was quite the experience. I think many of us bought the same things but the kind that we like. Each of us bought yogurt! Seven different brands I believe!  I found the only one with the reduced sugar.

A lot of carrots, celery and fruit were on the menus. It was a wee bit of a challenge to get it all in the house and into the fridge when we arrived. There's not really a pantry in the house.

We arrived at the house to discover that there was a 1204A and a 1204B. Oh, shoot - which one is the one we have rented? The note just said 1204. AHA - one of them is for sale - we doubt that that one is the one we've rented. We tried the code on the door lock and yes - we were in!! When I checked back on the very first confirmation, it did say 1204A.

Of course, we had to check the place out and secure our sleeping places. It's a bit weird for 8 people to sleep, but for a couple of nights, it'll have to do. For the first time in all the time of renting houses or going to retreats, I secured one of the rooms (there are only three bedrooms) where I'll be alone. Of course, it's right by the bathroom and yep - everyone had to get up at least once during the night. I'll survive.

The house is very modern and modular and on three levels. It's a bit weird. Not sure that I could live here, but for a temporary stay - it's not bad. We are about 1.4 Miles from the convention center so I don't mind to walk, but I'm not sure that the rest of them will walk. If I don't, my Fitbit is going to go crazy. Of course, the weather forecast isn't great - lots of rain.

Matter of fact, we had huge thunder last night and this morning there's been lightning and thunder. It's supposed to rain a lot today then I think it gets better over the next couple of days. Oh well - I have rain boots and three umbrellas. I think I'm going to be OK.

About an hour later, two more of our group (Susan and Tish) who had flown in arrived. And one more (Linda) who had arrived the day before and staying in a hotel for one night arrived. Just missing one more person who will arrive today.

We had pasta for dinner last night. It was easy to cook and then no one needed to do their own thing after traveling. Ronda very graciously drove the others to the grocery store so they could also stock up.

There are no official Quiltcon activities today. Well, there is the awards ceremony which is totally sold out. Now, how the heck did that happen? It's never happened before. The awards ceremony was always sketchily attended. Oh well.

I brought my sewing machine - forgot the extension table at home and I couldn't find the toolbox. But no worries. When one has a deadline, one must do what they need to do and that is to sew!!! The two days of drying stuff put a damper on my getting this project complete. I did bring an iron as well and a small ironing pad, but there are irons and ironing boards here in this massive closet in my room. So I'm sewing in the open kitchen and running up the stairs to iron. I love it!!!!

One thing I love about the house is the concrete floors on the main floor. For some reason and I don't know why - I want concrete floors and exposed brick walls. I love them. Of course, the concrete is polished so it's smooth. Yes - I realize that it can be cold. That's why you would put radiant heat in that floor. My brother has radiant heating in the shop where he works in and you can control the heat in zones. I love it!!!  Yes - I know concrete can be hard on the feet - that's why I would wear shoes all the time.

How the heck can you damage a concrete floor? That's why I want one for the sewing room, but it's not going to happen. Oh to win the lottery and then - well - that's a pipe dream. I noticed that the power ball lottery here is 282 million. That's totally insane!!!

I see some people are up, but I bet they could still hear my sewing machine if I started it up so I'm going to wait a bit before I do that.

We were going to take the Hop on Hop off bus today, but with the crummy weather, that's probably not the best idea. I'm going to check out what to do in Nashville and find something fun that's indoors.

On that note, it's time to get the day rolling.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!




2 comments:

  1. Hop On Hop Off is a GREAT thing to do when it's raining in Nashville.....you can see it but mostly stay dry because if they plastic zip-up windows. Take an umbrella and head out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle -- Oh shoot - that was our plan, but we didn't think it would be great with the rain so we opted out! That will have to wait until next time. Thanks for the suggestion. Elaine

      Delete