Friday, July 16, 2021

On reading books

I'm back to reading books. Well, listening to books as well. I took a hiatus for a couple of months, and I'm glad that I did. Sometimes, there's just too much going on, and my brain needs a break. I like peace and quiet, but not too quiet! I think part of the reason I didn't sleep as well as I should have when we were on retreat was that it was DEAD QUIET. My brain isn't used to that. 

But here's the thing about reading. How does one choose a book? NO -- I do not need suggestions. I have loads; it's just complicated! There used to be a website that would log book series and which ones you had read. The best part is that it also indicated which book was next in the series. You could print it out, and it was like a reading list. It was super easy to use, and when it went the way of the dinosaur, I was sad. 

Now I have to check my list of books I've read, find an author and then check their website to find the next one in order. Then off to the library app to find out if the book is available. I know - a first-world problem. My biggest problem is that I keep downloading an E-Book, not an audiobook. I'd rather have the physical copy than an e-book. 

Then when I downloaded a book, I realized that I have that one on my bookshelf. So now I'm reading a physical book and an audiobook at the same time! It feels weird, but I'm good with that. 

I don't know that I'll make my goal for the year, but if I do, great, if I don't - well, that's OK. There's no money riding on meeting that goal. 

Speaking of goals, I have to laugh. This Sunday is our UFO club. Yes - we decided to meet throughout the summer, although there is no money on the line. If they don't make the goal, there is no penalty. That's for July and August. So far, I've received e-mails from TWO people who didn't achieve their goals. And those two people NEVER missed when money is on the line. Funny how that $10 can motivate people to get their work done!

Me? I finished this month's commitment for the UFO club! I was done weeks ago, which is very unusual for me. I have a class tonight, and I'm still cutting for that. I'll be working on the blocks later today. I have a class tomorrow, and the homework is done for that - I just need to make the presentation. 

One more writing assignment is done, and I've got the pictures ready to go for the next one, which I'll work on today. I'm making good progress there. And I've got a day set aside next week for cleaning up the office. I'll tackle what I can in one day, or even if it's only the morning, it'll be better than not doing anything at all. 

I'm on a roll with the customer quilts, and if things go well, I should be able to get all the quilts quilted by the end of this month. Then I have some quilts of my own to finish, and I have a LOT of community project quilts that I want to get done in August. 

Here's the latest customer quilt. 

Customer quilt - DONE



The next one is loaded and ready to go later today. Thankfully, some of the quilts are small, and they won't take too long to get finished. And I trimmed quilts yesterday, so I will need to let the customers know they are ready for pickup. Anything that comes in now will have to wait until September to get quilted. August is going to be my vacation! I hope to do nothing - well, not much. 

The weather is totally crazy these days. One minute the sun is shining, and it's hot; the next, it's pouring rain and the tornados! That's just too scary - we had tornado warnings on the radio. We've never had that before. Thankfully, we were fine, but houses north of here got hit pretty hard. By north - I mean about 100 KM north. That's still too close for me. 

I did read outside for a bit. Well, I sat in the chair with my headphones on. Of course, I had entertainment. I'm not sure how our girls will handle when (not if, but when) we both start to travel again. They are going to have separation anxiety for sure. We can never leave together! 

Murphy LOVES to play in the pond and thinks it's the best thing to drop her ball in. Then she has an excuse to put her paws in and dunk her head to get the ball. Actually, here she's giving me that pathetic look - "Please get the ball for me!" 


Murphy, her ball, and the pond


I refused, and the next thing I know, she had rescued the ball and left it on the STAIRS inside the house. Well, that's an accident waiting to happen! Thankfully, I saw the ball before I stepped on it. Oh, Murphy - you need a puppy!


On that note, I'm out of here. I have a LOT of work to get accomplished today, and I'm motivated, so I'd better get moving!

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope to do nothing - well, not much.

    Oh girl, I want to SEE that🤣🤣🤣🤣

    I'm looking forward to your August vacation!

    ReplyDelete