Saturday, April 20, 2024

A road trip

I'm going back to QUILTsocial for a minute. In addition to searching for articles about the machine, the links at the top provide free projects, tutorials, etc. 

However, you can also search. The search button is on the extreme right at the top, and you can type in topics. Let's say you want to know about blog posts I've written on piping. Search for piping and add my name, Elaine Theriault, and posts will come up! 

The amount of information in those posts will blow you away. I would love to have a website that cross-references my blog posts. Wouldn't that be super handy? I have several handouts that I've compiled on some of the topics—so there's one for all the posts on binding quilts, one for machine quilting, etc. 

I'm in the process of compiling a couple more - one on accessories, and I think I may have already done a list on machine embroidery. 

At this point, I can't remember!!! Again, if I were smart, I would put those compiled lists on my blog at the top under one of the tabs. I'll see what I can do about that. Once I have that done, I'll let you know that it's there. But in the meantime, you can search QUILTsocial for information. 

That's one of the issues with the internet - it's too big!!! And everyone wants to share their version of everything with you. As I learned yesterday (well, I already knew it), just because you can share information on the internet DOES NOT make it the correct information. 

Someone may have an entirely different slant on a product or technique. If they don't like the technique or product, they won't give it a good (and sometimes fair) review. However, the next person might rave about that technique or product, and the review will be quite different. 

That's why you should NEVER look at only one resource. Look at different ones to see what possibilities exist and what different viewpoints there are. Then, most importantly, you need to do your samples and make your own opinion about that technique or product!!

Yesterday, in the pouring rain, I had to drive down to Windsor. Thankfully, the traffic behaved itself and wasn't too heavy, so that was good. About halfway down, the skies lightened, and then the sun came out, and the day ended beautifully. 

It was a very long day with the drive and then two 3-hour lectures, so I was happy when we finished at 9 PM. By the time I got into bed, it was 10 PM, and let's say that I was glad to "sleep in" this morning. I was going to go for a walk, but I was too lazy to get out of bed. I'm back at the store this morning for a hands-on event - we're making more monsters!!!

I need a shower, something to eat, and get my butt on the road. This is my view from the hotel room, and NO, I'm not in Detroit, but it's right across the river on the other side of the hotel. 

The view from my room


That would be beautiful with the bridges and the skyline, but I'm assuming that would have cost a lot more, so I got the Windsor city view!!!

I only have that one photo to share for several reasons. I forgot to bring my phone charger, so I'm hoping someone at the store today will have one. I could have gone downstairs and asked at the desk, as this is the one thing many people leave behind, but I was too tired to go back down once I realized. I can charge the phone in the car on the way home. 

Speaking of the car, I LOVE the navigation system, the screen, or Android Car Play—whatever you want to call it. I listened to my audiobook, which was right there on the screen, so it was easy to manipulate the controls. My map was always on the screen, which is handy even if you know where you are going. 

You can see the distance, expected arrival time, traffic, etc. I just love it. I don't understand how it knows that there is a speed trap ahead, and exactly where it said there was one, there was a car. At one point, I was told there was a stalled car on the road, and yes, there it was, although it was a truck. So how does it know that? If people put that information in, how are they doing that while driving? 

The two events yesterday were a complete success!!! I just threw tons of samples in the car because I could—big quilts that I can't travel with, little quilts, samples of techniques and tools, and so much more. In a way, it was a bad thing because, as a teacher, I want to share my information, and while I've done great things on Zoom, perhaps I should be doing some teaching in person? In the machine embroidery world? I need to take some time and contemplate what is happening in the fall and then go from there!

I also have some live Facebook events coming up in the next six weeks, so I'll be madly prepping for them. 

There is so much to do and so little time, but I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!

Have a great day

Ciao!!!

1 comment:

  1. You struggled with the navigation system in your previous car. The reason this one works so well is that Android car play uses your phone’s systems, not the car’s. A good choice, as our phones are like mini computers, and systems are updated regularly.

    ReplyDelete