Saturday, March 9, 2013

Making a list and checking it twice (and three times)


Well you just never know what is going to happen in your day!!!!  It was a VERY productive and informative day.

First - have a look at what I did...............


Customer quilt Number ONE - DONE

Detail of quilting

Customer quilt number TWO - DONE   (OK - so it was a small panel, but it still has to be loaded, thread chosen, pattern picked and loaded)

Detail of quilting

Customer quilt number THREE - DONE - (OK - so it was another small panel)
Detail of quilting

Quilt number FOUR - DONE (this is for the community projects  at the Mississauga Guild)


Detail of quilting


I think that is the most quilts I have done in a day - maybe not the most in square footage, but the most in numbers. And I can knock FOUR more off the list of quilts TO BE QUILTED. I am making good progress on that list and have FOUR on the list to be done this coming week. They are about the size of the blue one above or bigger. And some custom work (which always slows me down)


While I am working on getting those bindings on quilts for the upcoming shows, I got word last night that two of the seven I entered in the Mississagua Show won't be in the show due to lack of space. So that is GOOD - two less that need to be worked on. That means, I should (with no problem) get the five done that are going in the show. Mostly bindings, labels and sleeves (temporary sleeves) and one needs to be quilted (it is going to be a fun one to quilt and I am NOT going to post a picture of it - if you want to see that quilt, you will have to go to the show to see it). And one border to add and quilt. So life is good in the quilting world.

Also got a bit of work done on some blocks................

Here is Intertwined. Just eleven more blocks to sew. Shouldn't take that much time to finish it. I was hoping to be done by this morning (I am teaching the class today) but alas that just wasn't going to happen. 
And one more of those little blocks from the castoffs of the raffle quilt. I have enough triangles to make ONE QUARTER of a block. I will just cut some stuff to make up the missing triangles. Then experiment in a setting of eight blocks and see what I get. 


Gallery sitting yesterday and had a great conversation with the other ladies. And there were people in and out all day - it was a bit of a zoo. But a lady came in looking for some local art work. Shoot - I never thought to ask if she wanted a quilt for art. DUH!!!!!!!!   Anyway - she was the general manager of the NEW fashion outlet mall. My ears perked up at that and I accosted her on the way out (which is why I didn't think of the art work for her office). Anyway I asked about jobs at the mall (always thinking of my kid!!!) and she told me about the upcoming job fair so I know someone who will be going to that. BTW - the mall (Premium Outlet Mall) is going to open in August and is located at the corner of Steeles and Trafalgar.



So the list making. Well - I am BIG on making lists. I have lists for all kinds of things. And where do I keep those lists - well I have several books, but this book (which is my general notebook) has lots of lists in it.


My notebook


Now - there are all kinds of electronic gadgets that one can use to make a list, BUT there is NOTHING like the tactile feel of those pages all marked up. The paper gets kind of "fluffy" and NO ELECTRONIC gizmo is ever going to feel like that. So yes I will stick with paper lists!!!!!!!!!!!   And besides a broad stroke through the item when completed is way better than a little boring click of the mouse.

See how the pages "fluff" up on the left side - the pages that have been written on???


What is the latest list that I am making? Well normally when I travel - I just pack at the last minute. Even the last couple of bike trips - the night before (I know), I am running around the house like an idiot (mostly because my kid has moved or borrowed or used things and they are NOT where they are supposed to be). This year - the length of trip is such that the items I take are too important to leave anything to chance. I mean, I don't want to be without certain things on the trip and I don't want to have to buy if I have the item at home.

In my mind (and it is written on paper when I think of an item), I am going over everything and started with the camping equipment list. Tent (don't forget to check that the tent poles are there), the tent footprint, a light, and so on. Then there are the items that need to be purchased - a tarp (can you believe that this tent of mine has a footprint for JUST the tent part and not the flap on the front so that part is whatever the ground happens to be. I get a tarp and put there so my duffel bag doesn't get wet from ground moisture. And it is always good to have a tarp. But I never bring it home after a trip (I donate it to the bike trip company) - I just buy a new one. Now let's see what else - OH yes - I am creating a WISH list.

One of the issues in the past was my thermarest (or sleeping mattress). I bought a very nice one at Mountain Equipment Coop and it has worked very nicely in the past. However I bought the LONG narrow one and I am NOT long and narrow. So there are nights when you want to turn and you have to FLIP because there just isn't room to turn properly. I was going to investigate buying one of the short wider ones and was on the MEC web site and look what I found...................


First - this is similiar to what I have..............


Thermarest


Yes - I know you are saying "how can you sleep on that?", but they are very comfortable except for the long skinny part of it.


BUT this is what I found and I WANT to test it..............


Luxury sleeping accommodations


There is a video in the top left hand corner so you can see how it goes together. Yes it is a lot of money, but if it is going to be comfortable then I WANT it. The only issue I see is that I have a TWO man tent and I don't know if it will fit.

I see a trip to MEC is in order.


The other thing that I saw in a magazine yesterday - well that put me over the top!!!!!!!!!!   You see, I like to collect my data as I ride my bike and in previous trips, I was able to post the route for you to see. Well I was informed that I cannot do that this year due to privacy issues HOWEVER, I can put it on a password protected site so if anyone wants to follow along that way - let me know. I haven't got it set up yet, but I will be doing that.

ANYWAY - in order for me to download that data, I needed a computer (an iPad wouldn't do) and that meant that I needed the iPad AND a computer and well - a whole lot of technology to keep track of and keep charged. BUT - there is a NEW GPS that allows you to transfer the data with your smart phone and blue tooth. OH MY GOD - I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!!!!!!!    

Have a look at this video and you will see what I mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   You could practically BE there with me on the bike............

Video of what the Garmin 810 can do.............



Now is that not the COOLEST thing in the world. You see why I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means I cannot purchase any more quilt stuff - I need to save my pennies (ooops - nickels) to get these two new pieces of equipment.  


So the TWO biggest issues I had with previous trips - there is NOW a potential solution to them both!!!!!   The rest of the things I need will be minor (well I do need at least one more pair of bike shorts and that is NOT a minor purchase either).


OH MY GOD - I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       And the weather is going to be gorgeous. I may forego a quilt tomorrow and get out on the bike. I WANT to bike!!!!!!!!!  

Know of a cyclist who wants my other Garmin GPS? - it is good, just not bluetooth capable.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   (i'm off to gather more info about those new toys)


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. That's a pretty slick ad for the Garmin. Obviously not shot in Canada. Almost makes me want to get my bike out and go for a spin. I haven't been on it for over a year now. What a waste but there's always this year. Better get my butt in gear!

    ReplyDelete