Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Emergency run........................


As you have probably figured out by now - I am in Saskatchewan visiting with family.  Since there is not a lot to do but visit, I always bring hand work.

Since I have been here - I have finished hand stitching the binding down on that quilt that I quilted for my mom.  The one that she made 50 years ago.

Yep - while visiting with family, I got out my needle and thread and got the entire binding stitched down.  Haven't done a a binding in a while and great to get this one done.  Mom was very pleased with the end result.  So here is an OLD UFO - done!!!!!!!!!!!!    The only thing - I forgot to make a label, so will make the label and bring it next time and stitch it on. 


Brought some knitting and got one square done.  I am rarely a passenger in a vehicle, but the other day I knit all the way to town and back and got this done and half the next one done.  I only brought three balls of yarn with me and half of it is done. Do you see where I am going here?????


I think I meant to bring my embroidery and I forgot it at home, but I had thrown something else in my bag. Does this look familiar?????   Tish?????   Diane????   A number of friends are getting involved in English Paper Piecing.  I have had this project on the go for YEARS.   The only thing that I had done was cut out some of the hexagons.  I had only prepared ONE hexagon.  OK - I am going to tackle this project and try and get some done.



English paper piecing

Get out the needle and thread

Oh crud - this is fiddly - did I mention that my hexagons are 1/2"  - so each of the 6 sides are 1/2" long. 


Now somewhere along the way I had heard of using glue pens to do the "stitching".  I must have because I had one in my box.


Glue pen


Hmmmm - is that really going to work?????   and how do I get the papers out?????


Well time to open up YouTube and see what it is all about. Found some several videos and after 5 minutes - I thought I would give it a whirl.


YouTube video


OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Hexagons glued down.  FAST FAST FAST





I had two packs of 100 hexagons with me and I had picked up another one at the quilt store in Saskatoon. 

These things are fast to make

There is 100 done. 


OK - so now we have a problem.  I had black hexagons cut and I had some orange - but a silly orange. I don't really like the fabric. Now that I had 1/3 of my hexagons done with black - I needed some more fabric.  Well if I were home, I would make a 5 minute trip to Ruti's. However she is a bit far right now.  So I hopped in the car and drove 50 minutes to Fabricland.  The only option. However this is a great Fabricland and they have loads of quilting fabric.

Look what I found.   Got .25 m of each

Now I have to cut the hexagons. Oh boy - not looking forward to that.  However my Mom has a small cutting mat, one ruler and a HORRIBLE cutter that needs a new blade.  Well - it is all I have, so will have to make due.

Now here is something absolutely hysterical. When I was a kid we were NOT allowed to watch much television.  For numerous reasons. We could watch, but not much.  Now I do not watch TV at all and my Mom spends the entire evening watching TV.  Oh my - how the tables have turned!!!!!!

Anyway - I watched two shows with her (and now I know why I do NOT watch TV any more) and in two hours, I was able to prepare over THREE HUNDRED little fabric hexagons.   Oh yes - I had the cutters, the scissors and I had a production line going.

Table room is scarce at this house (my mom is a piler - just like me). So I improvised with a little stool - worked like a charm

I think I got 28 of each of 12 colours

Made a few pink ones before I went to bed and reconfigured my little box and everything fit in


Got some silk thread to stitch them together. Not sure it is the best, but all I could find. 

Those little packs of hexagons aren't cheap - well I paid $7 for the last batch of 100.  My mom says - I have a punch. So she dug it out, but the edges are 3/4" (or very close).

So what do you get with an 8 1/2" by 11" piece of card stock and a hold punch?????

50 hexagons in a mere matter of minutes.  She is well trained with hole punches. Now I need her to do that three more times!!!!!!!

I picked this fabric up to use with the larger hole punches.  I know - a stripe.  No one said I was smart!!!!!


Also got a ball of cotton yarn to make a dish cloth in the event I get really bored

Saw this gorgeous rick rack so bought all they had - it was cheap!!!!!!



If you have ever been to the prairies you would know how wide open the skies are.  I don't think I will ever get enough of that.  It is stunning to see the sky change.   There is NOWHERE in the city that you get that feeling.  As I was driving yesterday - I had to stop many times and take pictures. Here are a few for your enjoyment.   Yvonne - these are for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!



This yellow in this canola field was just BRILLIANT 

Looking off in the direction of North Battleford

Cool clouds in the sky

More neat clouds

Looking out over the river valley





This picture was taken in February - same spot

Had to stop and take a picture of these pretty flowers

Hmmm - would be nice to make into a quilt???????    A journal cover?????


On that note - I have hexagons to put together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment