Friday, June 8, 2018

Family Business - Part Two

I thought I was doing great and then POOF - the buffer or whatever on the iPad and that post was done. I wasn’t able to go back and check the spelling or grammar so hopefully it isn’t too bad. So read the OTHER post first and then come back to this one.

Anyway, the discussion on hoarding/what to do with stuff - went very well. There was no screaming, pulling of hair or anything like that which was nice.

Perhaps because everyone was prepared????  Not sure, but it was rather pleasant. We were going to leave funeral plans and finances for another day but my mother blurbs out “what are you going to do with us when we die?” Well - I guess we’ll chat about it right now. So we did. They know what they want and now we know what they want (it’s in the will) but nice to know in advance so we can make it all happen. And as fast as that - that part was done.

Just a few papers to sign and a few details to work out and I think we’re good to go.

My parents still own the farm that they lived on for many years and there are two houses on the property which are chalk a block full of stuff. We were hoping to deal with some of it while we’re here. I’m armed with a list for each room of what to get rid of, what to keep, etc. It’s going to be interesting. I’m not sure that we’re going to be able to deal with it all in one day. But at least the door is open and that allows us to get rid of stuff. Which is great. It’s just very frustrating that we couldn’t get rid of some of this stuff before now. We’ve been trying for years - great resistance.

But here is my suggestion to you and I really need to do this myself. I need to block off TWO days. TWO days isn’t a whole lot and I’d feel a whole lot better. Or I need to pick a space in my house and focus 100% on that space and get rid of the stuff that we’re no longer using. I can’t blame anyone but myself on this as most of the stuff that’s there is mine. It’s not like we have a lot of extra stuff - we’ve already been through the kitchen twice and there’s not much extra there, my clothes are pretty sparse, but could be pared down even further and a few Knick knacks that could go. Seasonal decorations - could go and then just looking at what’s left. It’s time - so much nicer to do it when the owner is the decision maker. The house will be cleaner, I’ll feel better.

So here’s my challenge to you. While I’m out at the farm dealing with raccoons, mice and ticks (ICK ICK  and DOUBLE ICK!), and a whole lot of crap, your job is to pick ONE area of your house. Could be the junk drawer, could be a closet, or could be your sock drawer. PICK one spot and you’re going to focus on it and clean it out. You’re going to take each item and you’re going to ask yourself if you’ve used that item in the last 6 months. If not, you have two choices - toss it in the garbage, or give it away. It’s not even an option to consider keeping it. If it’s sentimental, take a picture.  I have a scheduled pickup for June 21 and when I get home, I’ll be adding to the pile of stuff that’s sitting in the garage.

I’ll try to take pictures, but I’m almost embarrassed to do so. It’s a huge mess and now it’s dusty and dirty and it’s going to be just totally gross to deal with. I can hardly wait to tackle it. NOT!!!!

On that note, I’m out of here.

Have a super day!!!!!

Ciao!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a coincidence! Friday afternoon something kicked me in the butt and I FINALLY just dove into my studio/office and started hauling stuff out to evaluate/organize/pitch as needed. We are talking decades of accumulated art supplies and honestly a lot of junk. It will take time but I am determined. Don’t ask about the other hobby/craft rooms or my sewing areas but there is a ray of hope now. Wish me luck. -Trixy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Trixy. It will take time, but we need to get started NOW.

      Delete