Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The end is near - Part One

Yesterday was a bittersweet day. We dropped my brother at the airport. We don’t get to see each other very much, but this trip was a great bonding experience and the trick will be to keep in touch a wee bit more. Not a daily conversation, but just keep in touch. Then my other brother and I had errands to do in Saskatoon and that worked out exceptionally well. We had taken a few of the treasures that we found to the auction house. They seemed to welcome them and so we’ll see how the first lot goes. No household stuff - it’s going in the antique auction.

On the way back, I decided to check out my favourite quilt store in Warman, only to find that that store was now closed!!!  Since I wasn’t on their mailing list, I didn’t know and a quick post on Facebook confirmed. Good thing we didn’t drive out of our way. (I had checked on Google to find their store hours listed as PERMANENTLY CLOSED). After everything that we’ve seen and done this past week, it’s probably a good thing anyway.

I’m formulating plans in my head on what to tackle when I get home and I’m going to make it a priority to attack the main floor of our house. We might as well get those things done (while we live there) that I had plans for. Look out!!!!  It’s not much, but would be nice to get it done.

We’re all mentally exhausted at this end. I know my Mom has reached her tolerance level. Here’s an example of what happens here. She had this old ratty tablecloth on the table. I mean - it had holes. She said she had received it as a gift when they moved into the apartment less than 3 years ago. Granted, it’s just a cheap tablecloth from Wal-Mart, but it shouldn’t look like that after three years. OK - let that one go. I decided to buy a new one which I did yesterday. When I removed the old one, I was requested to fold up the old one so she could keep it. To use for potting plants on the deck so dirt wouldn’t get everywhere and she wouldn’t have to sweep the dirt up. This task would be performed with someone else. I lost it, she lost it and my Dad put the tablecloth where she wanted it to keep the peace. It’s INSANE. It’s time for me to go home.

It wouldn’t surprise me if she whips the new one off the table to use for the plants and puts the old one back on the table. That’s how severe her mind is warped.

There are a few enablers in the neighbourhood and we shall be having some conversations with them. I noticed that she has one or two “new” enablers and is very careful to NOT mention their names so as we can’t contact them. She is not dumb - she’s very crafty. I would also add that she’s a bully. Not something you want to hear about your mom, but she’s always been a bully and it’s a huge problem in this situation. Anyway - let it go - breath, breath really deep and know that you’re going home tomorrow.

We’ve been busy little beavers though as there is stuff that Mom wants to go to certain people. Now my untrusting nature is “do those people actually want this stuff or is that just in her mind?” So we’ve been able to get in touch with everyone but one person (and those unnamed friends) and today we’re making a quick trip to the farm to pick up the stuff and then making deliveries today. If only she would accept our help to get rid of more stuff (that is sitting in the apartment) instead of waiting on those “friends” to come pick it up, I would feel better. Anyway - I digress and I’m breathing pretty heavy about now!

We got some banking stuff done yesterday and on that end, we’re actually feeling pretty much in control. So you have one more day to hear me complain. It’s not really complaining, it’s just venting because I really have a problem with irrational situations and this is 100% totally irrational. Breath deep, really deep!!!

I know that it’s a lot for Mom to handle and to her credit, she’s come a long, long way. So we need to cut her some slack and realize that it must be very hard for her. I think we’ve all just come to the end of our rope for this trip. I can’t imagine how anyone could deal with this if they had to prep a house for sale and you could only do it in one shot. We would all kill each other!!!

I gues


No comments:

Post a Comment