Saturday, June 9, 2018

And the process begins - Part Two

My Mom had done a fine job of filling the second house that they lived in as well. The closets are packed to the top with boxes of stuff and then there are stacks and stacks of boxes in every nook and cranny in that house. It’s totally scary how out of control she got when we were no longer there. Not that our presence prevented her before.

She sent us out to the farm armed with lists of what she wanted and didn’t want in the newer house. While my brothers loaded up our treasures from the old house, I decided to tackle one of the bedrooms. ACK!!!  Where to start? I just grabbed a first box and started there. I found boxes and boxes of curtain material. I found boxes of fabric (crimpolin which we called fortrel out here). I found boxes of Christmas ornaments (My mom’s biggest thing is crochet). So there are boxes and boxes of finished craft items and boxes of afghans and boxes of UFOs. Does that remind you of our studios/sewing rooms?  It’s so scary. And there is dust everywhere. No one has lived in this house for three years - well I guess about 2 1/2 years, but some of this stuff has been sitting for a long, long time and totally undisturbed.

While I was given tons of lists, I’m leery of bringing anything into their apartment which you guessed is chalk a block full of stuff. Now we did notice that it was all very neat and tidy when we arrived because my Mom knew we would be making a fuss if it wasn’t.

We also do not need to empty this house. Just take what is wanted/can be donated and the rest stays. Again a match or a bull dozer when we’re done would be just fine, but I’m OK to leave it as is.

We’re going back tomorrow. I’m going to finish that room. The boxes of material and other stuff will just get stacked in a corner and that’s that. I’m going to pack up the kitchen dishes (so they can be donated) and try to get rid of all food stuffs that could attract vermin. I’m going to bring in a few boxes of stuff for Mom to look at and then what she doesn’t want will leave the apartment. We do have to give her credit that they are recycling in their apartment and she does go through things and keep a few things, but not all. There is a huge improvement, but it’s not completely perfect yet.

I have to give my Mom (and Dad) credit that they do realize the seriousness of the situation and have probably come to the realization that they won’t live forever so it’s best to “let go” of some of this stuff. But we’ve been bugging them for years to tidy up and they never would. At least we have “carte blanche” with those two houses and that makes me feel a whole lot better.

I have a ton of other stories to share with you, but that’s it for today.

I’m very serious when I say that you need to pick a spot and start getting rid of stuff. Perhaps I need to start putting links of how to get rid of this stuff. I think the biggest thing for my Mom is that she wants everything to go to a good home. Well, most of it doesn’t deserve a good home. It needs to die!

Today is a day of “rest”. We’re shopping for shelves (all family approved), got to visit a dying uncle (timing worked out good on that one), friends and family members to visit  - that’s the danger of announcing you have arrived home on Facebook.

Have a super day. Don’t forget - I want stories (and pictures) from you on what you’re cleaning up. There are NO excuses - we cannot leave these messes for our children. Do you hear that M???  I’m thinking of you!!! Although you did leave me a huge mess in our house which I’m still cleaning up, but when I get home - look out!!!!

Ciao!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine; I'm not sure how old your parents are but they might have a form of demensia which comes along with it. My aunt had this and as she had been a editor in her working life it was newspapers...among other things like terrible cast off furniture....so even if we control our spaces now , we might end up in that position in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a lot of junk to go through! My mom had a flood in her house a couple years back and it was the start of emptying the basement. Old mattresses and stuff. The flood was a blessing in disguise. ButI really need to get back there and start getting rid of the rest of the stuff. Hopefully this gives me the incentive to just get there and do it.

    ReplyDelete