Thursday, June 14, 2018

Going to Hell in a hand basket - Part Two

Hopefully you’ve picked up that my daily posts are each in two parts this past week. Tomorrow, there’ll be pictures and only one post.

I have to tell you about the ticks. So we know that ticks are not good for you. There’s a huge infestation of ticks and worms in this area. It’s totally gross, but that’s life here. Thankfully I don’t have to deal with it on a daily basis. The worms have literally stripped the leaves off the trees. It’s crazy.

The ticks are at the farm. My brother is a tick magnet. Every time we went out, he ended up with three, four or more ticks on him. My Dad usually ended up with one or two. I was petrified of getting a tick on me (I hate ALL bugs and remember standing in the garden spending more time swatting the bugs away than I spent time weeding). I wore rubber boots the entire time I was at the farm with my jeans tucked in and I wore my fleece sweater all the time despite the heat. As I was standing in the yard making a phone call, I realized that one had gone up the sleeve of my sweater. ICK - but that little guy was soon crushed. And after you feel that first one - you feel itchy all over. I think I have escaped unscathed by ticks. Nasty little brutes.

A few people that I didn’t get a chance to see but I’ll try to get in touch with them when I get home and hopefully get to touch base with them in September.

I want to say that this trip was the worst. The next one will be easier because we know what we’re getting into, what still needs to be done and what we have to take care of. I’m back in September while we’re on a roll.

Can’t wait to get home with my list. I’ve been dreaming up all kinds of stuff in my head and I’ll get that on paper on the plane. We have a pick-up already scheduled for next week for things that we want to get rid of. I think the pile will be a wee bit larger than it was originally planned to be.

Hopefully you have all picked one area in your space to tidy up and have got that one tackled. Perhaps you’re ready to move onto the next one. The one thing that we all realized here is that NONE of us could have done it by ourselves. We would have run out of the houses stark raving mad. Two people would have been OK, but that one day we were four and that was a HUGE deal. It was a great bonding exercise. So if you’re struggling alone to make some of this happen, then find a way to “share” that experience - with a friend, a family member or whomever. But doing this messy job with someone makes it more “fun” and you’re likely to stick with it. You can hire me if you want!

I share my trials and tribulations with you so that is my sharing. But I do sometimes wish that someone would help me with that office. Believe it or not, but I hired a professional to come in and help a number of years ago. But when I think back, we set up a filing system that I’ve never used. I would do it differently if I were to help someone - I feel I know a whole lot more about this process from this experience and from my own struggles at the house. The most important thing - I’m really ready to tackle that space and have planned some time on Sunday to make a start.

Look out house - I’m on my way home and you had better be ready!!!!  (OH - now that I’ve said that - I had no choice but to follow through).  I did NOT eat as healthy as I should have and I did not track my food for the last couple of days. But it’ll be easy to get back on track when I’m home so I’m not too worried about that. Remember, we can’t have numbers dictate our life.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

2 comments:

  1. It seems to me that once you have left the farm and the apartment, you need to let the issues go but know that you (and your brothers) need to plan some regular, return trips to continue to work on the projects that have/need to be done. You accomplished a lot but it was probably a drop in the bucket. Sadly, this needs to be something like a 5 year plan? And focus on the positives, the bonding with your brothers, the small but good changes in your mom and let go of the frustrations that you cannot change. So much better to getting this done when you aren't in a state of grief over the death of one of your parents and you do get to relive some childhood memories and share some laughs. I keep telling myself that by the time I am 80, my craft situation will be under control... gives me 9 years! And because of you, I dropped off a large bag of clothing at the Salvation army yesterday but, (laughing) I also found the most perfect end table to put beside my recliner and brought it home. It has a drawer! Perfect for my hand sewing items as well as hand and nail products. No clutter on the top of the table anymore... all tucked away but I laughed that stuff left my house and something got added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful advice, Rosyquilter! And on a chuckle note, I too have found myself dropping off bags at the Sally Ann and coming home with a small item or two. So far the outgoing still outweighs the incoming, and sometimes those items eventually find their way back to the store! That’s what recycling is all about!

    ReplyDelete