Friday, June 8, 2018

Family Business Part One

A quick note about voting. As you may or may not be aware, there was an election in our province yesterday. I wasn’t going to be able to vote on the actual day, so I planned to do the advanced voting. I missed out on the advance polls so I had to take a trip to the returning office. A bit of a wait and we had to fill out a form with our name and address. Not sure why since I had my voter card and ID with me. But that’s the price to pay for not paying attention to the dates.

I saw the results last night. WOW!  Is all I can say. Since I voted, that gives me the right to complain? I’m just shocked and I can’t believe that the party that won was given a very clean slate. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens. And I must check the voter turnout percentage.

For the quilters out there, those election signs make AMAZING, sturdy and cheap bottoms for your tote bags. So I believe you have to wait 72 hours after the polls close, and then any signs left on lawns are FREE.  It’s well worth it to grab a couple and use for your bag bottoms. I use them all the time (legally acquired I might add).

I ran around the house yesterday morning, finishing off the packing and blogging and then off to the airport. I always do advanced checkin on my phone and my luggage is small so I can head immediately to the security line. As I was getting to the end of the checkin hall, I was pulled aside by the Air Canada staff to have my carryon bag verified that it fits on the plane. She had some kind of scale (platform) that she put the bag on. Then I’m not really sure what she did or how it got checked, but I was cleared to go. That was interesting, but it’s about time because some of those carryons are ridiculous. And mine didn’t weigh much so that was good as well.

Let’s just say that having a NEXUS card was a good thing yesterday. You can now use your NEXUS card to get in the trusted traveller line (domestic) through security which was a thousand times shorter than the regular line. It was seriously long. I didn’t buy Tim’s and so I was at the gate within 15 minutes of getting out of the car. I like that!

Ronda had downloaded four episodes of “The Alienist” for me to watch. Yikes, I watched the first one on the plane. Then as I was watching, I was thinking that this was pretty graphic for the plane. A dead body (very graphic) and a wee bit of sex. Oh well, those scenes were short. Thankfully! Now to watch the next episode, but I think we’re going to have our hands full here.

The flight seemed long yesterday - only three hours, but I tried to sleep. That didn’t work. I did read and I watched that show. Got my rental car and then had a three hour wait to pick up my brother. I hit the two quilt shops in town. I had a really good look around and saw all kinds of neat stuff, but I spent about $35 in each store. I found some cool fabrics for the table runner class and I was going to buy a meter of each and then decided that a half meter was enough. I bought some more Kaffe fabrics for the next collage quilt and only got a half meter of each of those two. I was very responsible to say the least.

Then onto my favourite bookstore, but the craft section seemed much smaller. I found a couple of books that were intriguing, but I’ll get them back home and save myself from carrying them on the plane. I did buy a couple of magazines and that was it.

Picked my brother up at the airport and we were on our way to the Battlefords area where the rest of the family lives. The three siblings had a great visit and a good chat about life in general and our parents in particular!

We headed to my parents for dinner. I brought my own food for breakfast and am going to try and eat as healthy as I can while I’m here. It’s going to be hard. I did have a cider yesterday, but I don’t need one everyday or maybe I do.

The preliminary discussion about family stuff/hoarding/dealing with all the crap was a fairly painless one to say the least. Parents were most cooperative almost to the point that they welcomed us to take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment