Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The end is near - Part Two

Shoot - I thought I could get away with one post today but that didn’t happen.

And I couldn’t go back and get rid of that last little bit on the previous post. I’m not sure what - I know - stop complaining and do something about it when I get back.

We have to get out to the farm early today as someone is coming by to pick up some stuff that we have to dig out. Trust me, we were super excited last night when we heard that news. We’re so bad!

And I figured out how I can get in touch with that last person to see if stuff can be delivered to her.

This has been a wake up call. I’m going to say that it’s a very good lesson and you have to find the silver lining in every situation. So just like I found being let go from what many would perceive a dream job (I did like my job, but I like my situation now even better) and I think I’m doing great with those extra 50 hours a week, there are several lessons to be learned here. Oh shoot. The formatting below is off.

1. You can’t be the kettle to call the pot black. I’m complaining about the mess here and yet, I’ve a lot of paper at home that needs to be dealt with. Get myself in gear and get it done. Or make a plan to get it done gradually. It NEEDS to be dealt with.
2. For the moment, the craft stuff is staying as is. There’s a lot of other things that can be dealt with before. But the craft stuff will be on the hit list at some point. And I’ve got to be realistic about it all. ACK - that’s going to be tough.
3. If there are things that I treasure, they had better be out for me to use or admire everyday or they need to disappear from my house. Some of that will be tough, but I have pictures of the mess here and I need only to look at those to remind myself of the situation.

  1. 4. I have things that I bought/made/tucked away that I would use when the time came. Not much, but there are a couple of specific things. The time is NOW to get those out. Get that room painted, make it look pretty NOW so I can enjoy it instead of doing it when it’s time to move. Like we do NOT have a door bell, just a couple of wires hanging out of the door. 


All I need now is a notebook (which I have). I think I’ll keep that one as the declutter/home improvement list. I think instead of watching another episode of The Alienist on the way home, I’ll be strategizing and planning. It’s not going to be easy. It would appear that our family is subject to this hoarding issue and letting go (of some things) isn’t going to be easy. But I never want M to have to deal with that issue. What I keep, I’ll write out who should be contacted to get what and then I’ll feel better, have more space (in my house and in my brain) and when it does come time to move, it won’t be an issue.

The biggest deal is going to be prioritizing this. I know it is - it will be a struggle for me but I HAVE to make it happen. There have been other instances of these things I “learned” from my Mom (like weight and the house cleaning that comes with tons of Knick knacks). I learned from those so now I need to learn from this.

I’m very sorry to burden you all with this issue. It’s important or some of you have already been through it. But if you’ve been through it with a parent/uncle/etc. then you need to look at your environment and ask if you can really feel happy about your current state of affairs????

You know what I miss the most? Well, besides the girls???  I miss QUIET time. Time to just reflect on nothing. I miss my gazebo!!!!

Have a super day and soon all this madness will be over and we’ll be back to quilting with a vengeance.

Ciao!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Have you looked into MaxSold? It's an online auction website (US and Canada). If I ever have to deal with an estate sale I think this would be my option rather than trying to sell things through craiglist. The company can manage the photos/listings or it can be done by the seller. Usually there's one day for previews and then one day for pickup. Craigslist drives me crazy because it takes 20 emails back and forth to get a pick up time. Sorry you're having to deal with it and hopefully you Mom will be able to let even more things go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed these posts Elaine. Not easy to deal with this issue! I have to take some of your advice and get cracking to do some organization!

    ReplyDelete