Thursday, June 14, 2018

Going to hell in a hand basket - Part One

Going home today. My suitcase is a tad heavier than when I came out - mostly because I have two quilt tops and backing that I’m going to quilt for my aunt and then bring back in September. And there are a few small items that I also brought that are to be given away or used when I get home.

However I do have a large crate that will be shipped via truck next week. I’ll fill you in on that when it arrives at my house. It’s not a bad thing.

I want to be very clear - I love my parents and I’m very proud of the way that all three of us kids turned out. We’re all makers and love to do things with our hands. We work hard and I think we have good work ethics. But my Mom has made a liar out of me.

There have been a couple of items that she was ADAMANT about where they go. We’ve been trying to be one step ahead of her to deal with where these items really should go. Since my Mom knows everyone, it’s been a challenge. But a few phone calls and things are good. I’ll share that story when I get back so I can post the picture. I’m not in the mood to discuss that one now.

However, this is what happened last night. We took pizza to the house for dinner. I’m standing at the counter and Olive (SIL) whispers to me - check your texts. So at the table (gasp!), I checked my texts. “Your mom saves pizza boxes.”  OK - we need to nip that one in the bud. As we’re getting ready to leave, I scoop all three pizza boxes in my hands and try to rush out the door. Even though some of the boxes were empty. As I’m standing there trying to be very inconspicuous, she asks me if any of the boxes are empty. NO - there’s some leftovers in each which was a blatant lie. She did not contest my lie.

She would have used those boxes to store stuff. And the boxes from Pizza Hut are greasy as they do not put something in the bottom. And why the heck would you want to keep greasy food boxes that will attract bugs and god knows what else?  Seriously - she has a problem. I didn’t see any pizza boxes in the apartment but they have probably been squirrelled away in a closet somewhere.

This will be a battle that we’ll struggle with for the rest of her days. There were other instances where we’ve had to blatantly lie (and now it’s a big joke - we’ll have to do a lot of praying to go to heaven) on numerous occasions.

All in all, I’m pretty impressed at what we accomplished. We’re far from done. We were on a delivery mission yesterday afternoon which was good as we did get to see a couple of people that I hadn’t seen in a long time and they will probablay not be around too much longer. We have one more delivery this morning and then a quick visit with Mom and Dad and then I’m off. I’ll be in the car by myself with just the radio and I can’t wait.

Now here’s something quilt related that I need to consider. My Mom loves to crochet. She’s made MANY afghans. There was a closet full of them at the farm and I found many tucked into various boxes in some of the bedrooms. I think this is the third time that I’ve tackled that stack. We brought in garbage bags of them (to the chagrin of their neighbours - the amount of stuff in their aparment is a standing joke at the building). Mom has been good and has sorted out - the small ones are going to the nursing homes in the area, the larger ones, she gives to friends. But this is it - last call for anyone on that receiving line. We’ve been good at whisking them away to the various places (my SIL has good contacts and not afraid to use them). My Dad - not so much. They may sit there for a while so we need to be on top of him to get them delivered.

But that makes me think of all the quilts I have at home. While there are a good number of them that I  use for my trunk shows, there are some that never get used. So what to do with them? I want to make a small area for displaying some of them and rotating them. I even have the stuff to do it. So I had better add that to the list of things to do at home or I had better find an avenue to sell some of those quilts. We can’t be calling the kettle block when I’m just as bad in some aspects.


No comments:

Post a Comment