Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Summer Moon Show and Tell

 

This past weekend, I taught a beginner class on the EQ8 software. Many of the students had just purchased their EQ8, some have dabbled in it for a bit, others hadn't touched it in a long time. It's one thing to take a class (most followed me as I went through the software), but quite another to design your own quilt. As I brought the class to a close, I gave them a homework assignment - design a block or a quilt. 

Well, this class has NOT disappointed me. I've been getting pictures of the homework since Sunday, and it thrills me to see that many have created a quilt that they've wanted to make for a while. I got screenshots of their computers or the entire project file or pictures that they saved in EQ8. I LOVE IT!!! What a great group, and I know they're looking forward to the next class this coming weekend. 

Speaking of designing quilts, I submitted three designs to the magazines yesterday. I realized that I haven't submitted anything since August! I usually put something in for each submission, but I've not had the time, or the topic didn't intrigue me. So we'll see what happens. I have lots of other stuff to sew if those ideas don't fly. 

We had our Monday sewing yesterday, and well - we can get into some heated discussions about current events! Yep - even on Zoom! But you know what? It's so important to get those feelings out. Imagine not having someone to vent to about what's happening? I'd explode! So thank goodness for the Monday Sewing group!

I was in a bit of a tidy up mood yesterday morning. I did tackle a few things on the cutting table, but I also added a few more things, so it looks worse this morning than it did yesterday. I'll share a photo tomorrow. But I was going to put this box away, and then I had a look at it and decided that it should be cleaned up before I do that. 

This is my box where I store all my bias tape tools.


The box of bias tape making supplies



I used to do many demos, and this is the stuff from the demos, plus my tools. There were bias bars all over the place, so the sets (only found three sets! - but they are all different), fusible bias makers, non-fusible bias makers, loads of samples, and premade bias. It was chock-a-block full of stuff. So I sorted, and I put like things together in plastic bags. I removed some fabrics that I had been using for the demos - no need to keep that there. And this is how it looks. 





Nice and neat box of bias tape supplies


That may not look much tidier, but everything is sorted into plastic bags, so if I'm looking for something, I just have to rifle through the plastic bags, not a whole bunch of bits and bobs. I suspect that I'll be doing that kind of clean-up in a few other boxes as well. But not now. 

So why was the box out anyway? A while back, I was looking for one of my fusible bias tape makers. Hmm - it appears to be missing in action. I thought I had all four or five sizes; however, I found the packaging, but no bias tape maker. That means it's stuck in a box somewhere. But where? Oh well - I feel much better about this box of bias stuff as I put it on the shelf. 

I'm not sure I will have time to deal with anything on the cutting table today—two more presentations. One is the start of a new series, but everything is prepped - I just have to set up the film studio area. The other one needs a bit of research before I go ahead with it. That's at 11:30 this morning, so not going to be much time for anything else but prepping for that. 

One document went out the door yesterday, and I have one more that is URGENT today. Then the writing sort of slacks off. No immediate deadlines, but unless I keep up with the writing, it will become urgent, and I need to get other paperwork done. Paperwork - UGH!!!

I finished all the blocks for my Summer Moon quilt. YEAH! It's awesome! I threw the blocks on the design wall. - I haven't had time to play with the exact placement of each block yet. I'll try to move a few around over the next couple of days and see what happens. 



My version of the Summer Moon quilt


I want to start sewing this together on the weekend, so I'd better start playing with it!

Here is the show and tell from the Summer Moon class this past weekend.  


Val is only making the large blocks

She's creating her own sashing - these are for the corners

Val is using 30s fabric




Heather is using a fabric kit for the modern version of the quilt

Heather's second set of blocks

Heather's third set of blocks

Kathi's first set of blocks

Kathi's second set of blocks

Kathi's third set of blocks

Jana's blocks

Anne Marie's first set of blocks

Annie Marie's second set of blocks

Anne Marie's third set of blocks

Cathy's first set of blocks

Cathy's second set of blocks

Cathy's third set of blocks

Lynne's three sets of blocks

Carol's three sets of blocks

Hmm - there are a few more in the class, and where are their blocks?? I must send out a reminder! It would be awesome to see lots of finished quilts at our show and tell next month! The blocks were made in three different sizes - 5", 6½" and 8" unfinished. Then a sashing was added to all the blocks. I found it very confusing to cut the same block in three different sizes. The group did a great job! And we found a few different ways to sew the blocks together to eliminate seams or eliminate bulk. Can't wait to see those finished quilts!!!

I had two presentations last night. I LOVE that Bell technician. He saved my life! Now I can sit back and enjoy the presentations, not be worrying if the service will go down. It's so much more pleasant to present. Phew!!! I must remember to call Bell later today. 

I got a customer quilt done yesterday. Not a very big one, so it was easy to work around the other obligations. 

Customer quilt - DONE


I love this house on my street. They have one little boy who is about 6 or 7. I think it's obvious that they'll be celebrating Halloween this year. 




That giant spider web goes to the window of the little boy's bedroom! There are two giant spiders on the web. How cool is that?

I went for a walk in the afternoon. I took the long way to get to the library. I was approaching the library when I remembered that it was closed on Monday! Oh well - an excuse for a walk later today!

I have a TON of e-mails to respond to today, but they will have to wait until later. 

Well, it's time to get the day started. 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment