Sunday, April 20, 2014

Mad about MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I like puzzles. Doesn't matter what kind of puzzle - word puzzles, logic puzzles, jigsaw puzzles - anything that requires some tinkering and figuring - I'm in!!!    Someone called me a PROBLEM SOLVER the other day!!!   I guess in a way I am - I do like to see if I can work out solutions to stuff - I get that from my Dad.

Part of being a problem solver is also being an optimist - I am a glass half full person and that has caused me no end of grief with the half empty people. Throughout my entire life I've had issues with that!!!!   Well - the trick is to just keep on doing what I do best - solve more puzzles.

The other day, I was acquired some fabric from someone who was downsizing. I bought a kit, a piece of yardage and a bundle of "scraps".   It was all Christmas flannel. Now the question - what to do with this? All the fabric was from the same line.

Soooooooooooooo - this is what I did.   Because I am helping someone downsize by buying stuff from them, I feel GUILTY to just put this in my stash so I feel compelled to deal with it IMMEDIATELY.




There were some strips that were prewashed - so I cut them up into 48 - seven inch squares
From the unwashed stuff  - there is a panel that is the equivalent of 24 squares. The rest of the unwashed strips will yeild 48 - 7 inch squares.

I need a few more squares, so am going to cut up the border fabric into more squares. One of these pieces I will keep for one of the bindings. 
This is the yardage piece and should be enough for the backing of the smaller of the two quilts I am going to make
I had a piece of snowman flannel which was slated for a backing of what????   No idea - so it will be used to back the other quilt. Hopefully there will be enough left over to make the second binding that I need
A few leftover pieces were sewn and cut  into 5 inch squares for TWO more scrappy Christmas flannel quilts.  Most of this I have cut from either my Christmas flannels and I did have a LOT of  Christmas flannels given to me a while back. I have NO scraps of Christmas flannel left. I still need a few more squares to make these quilts the appropriate size so I may have to dig a little deeper to find a bit more.  

You will have to stay tuned to see what they all look like when they are done. I am tempted to just sew those first two tops together today and I may do that. But I was able to get TWO decent sized quilts from all those strips, yardage and bundle. Nothing was left over - except my scrap bin is full.



Scrap bin - full. 


Do not ask me why I love taking bits and pieces and making something. I just do. That is me.


Now I had to look for something this morning and guess what I found - that little bucket with the half square triangles. So I have it out on the cutting mat and I will try and get the rest of that group trimmed today.

Half square triangles to be trimmed


I NEED to get used to the new computer so I can start posting the blog from there. I have had to reboot my computer TWICE this morning. I think there is a problem with the card reader.  Sometimes when I insert the card to download pictures the computer freezes and I have to reboot to get it working.

Oh look - the Easter Bunny arrived in our house.  I heard through the grapevine that the Easter Bunny was given strict instructions - NO chocolate (well maybe just a bit) and NOT too many eggs.    Hmmmm - I am not sure if the Easter Bunny listened.



But I see eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


On that note - I am out of here.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment