Wednesday, June 19, 2019

And then this happened...............


So you know that I'm getting a new floor in the basement. The water leak occurred on February 15th. It took me a long time to wrap my head around scheduling the restoration work and then of course once I was ready, it took time to choose the floor and get everything organized. A few weeks of travel also slowed down the process. The restoration company has a pretty aggressive schedule. There's none of this moving stuff to one side and working around - OH NO - we're going the whole hog on this install.

As a result, four guys showed up at my door with boxes. Lots and lots of boxes. A PODS container was also supposed to be at the door.

I did take a whole pile of pictures before and after and I won't bore you with the whole mess this morning, but I do have pictures to share. What a nightmare!

I guess I didn't transfer any before pictures this morning, but here's what the basement looks like currently. The crew is back today to finish off what they didn't get done yesterday.

Pretty empty basement compared to normal
 ACK!!!!  Where are all the books?


Different angle

I did get the guys to move my white sewing table upstairs. I have it more or less installed in Studio U. It's one foot longer than the table I was working on so that has made the sewing space a wee bit smaller, but once everything gets up off the floor, it should be OK. And I do need to buy a new insert that actually fits with the sewing machine that I'm using. Fortunately, the two main ones that I use have the same body so I can swap them out. OR - I could put the sewing machine that actually has an insert into the cabinet. Hmm - I'll think about that today.

Sewing table in Studio U

Despite good planning, things can still go awry. The POD was supposed to be here early. However, it hadn't arrived at 10 AM. The guys were madly packing books and running out of room to put them. Then they ran out of boxes!!!  No kidding! They had another whole whack of boxes delivered. I have no idea the count on the boxes, but it's huge!

So they started to bring stuff up and put it in the house. This is what my house currently looks like. Well, technically no as this picture was taken before they finished. The living room is almost full now.

Living room

They still needed more room so off to the family room. Notice that DH can still watch TV.


More boxes in the family room


And where did all those boxes of books go? In the hallway of course!! It's like a wall. Hmm - perhaps I could offer that suggestion to a certain politician. Everyone would benefit and I'm sure there are lots of used books around that could be made into a wall.


The hallway with its wall of boxes

Literally, that wall of boxes goes right to the front door. I'm ashamed! I heard DH muttering under his breath as he asked me, "these are all your books?"  Well, technically the boxes are only HALF FULL. Hey - that's important to note. However, he certainly wasn't thinking as he saw them create that wall. Guess what? His keys and wallet were in a table drawer that's behind the wall!!!  HAHA!!! I moved two stacks of boxes and squeezed in to get the necessary items!

There are boxes in the kitchen and there are boxes in his office. There are NO boxes in my office but that's because there isn't really any room. Seriously - we look like we live in a hoarders house. You are NOT allowed to judge me. I already know that I have an issue and I'm dealing with it. I hope M realizes that I'm saving her a lot of grief by attacking this issue now. The trick is going to be putting it back, but only what I want/need and getting rid of what I don't need or want. It's going to be a massive task.

I have no idea how the crew could even begin to unpack all this stuff. There's no way and I'd never find anything. So once the new floor is down, they are putting all the furniture back and taking all the boxes to the basement where they'll be stacked and it's going to be my job to go through them one by one and toss, sell, keep or giveaway.

Oh, I should mention that the stash room is currently off limits so nothing in there was packed up. Some of it will have to be packed as the floor has to be repaired. I think that's for another day. We have no room anyway! Yes - it's a very sad state of affairs at my house. OK -- it's so totally my fault! But I blame DH as well for giving me a budget - a big budget. DAMN him!

I was down there helping the guys for a while. I took the quilts off the wall and some of the other stuff. That went upstairs onto the spare bed. But I found this bungee cord thing near the long arm. I picked it up and part of it was sticky. ICK! Not sure what the sticky is from, but I don't use this so I'm keeping it because?  It's in the garbage. I'm hoping there are a lot more things like this!

Bungee cord

Guess what else I found?? A BRAND NEW - never out of the box OTT Lite. A floor model no less. Hey - this would be perfect for Studio U as the lighting is terrible up there. The box is outside the door and waiting to be unboxed.


A brand new OTT LIGHT

I seem to remember buying that in the US at one point, but it's been in that corner for a long, long time.

The packing crew left in the early afternoon as they had literally packed everything they could, but had run out of room to move more stuff upstairs.

At 3:30, I heard the POD being delivered. What a neat process. I didn't see it arrive, but it comes on a flatbed truck. Then this spider-like thing delivers the POD to the driveway. All remote controlled by the driver.

POD being delivered


Then he backed the truck under the spider thing and then with the remote control, it basically collapsed until it fit on the truck. It was amazing to watch. Here's a video of how it gets delivered. You have to watch it - it's amazing. This video is only 3 minutes long and you don't see it collapse, but essentially, it's the reverse of when it arrives. Awesome system.


POD truck getting ready to leave


I was so tired yesterday, I just wanted a nap, but there was no time and I would have felt guilty to nap while the guys were packing. I wanted to be handy in case there were questions.

Then I got an e-mail saying that some paperwork was due yesterday and I needed to get it done. So that took a couple of hours to assemble all that, but it's all done!! Yeah!!!!

Then and only then and it was getting late by this point, did I manage to get to the gazebo for a half hour nap and it felt great.

There's going to be lots more activity in the house today as they move the rest of the stuff up. The long arm is the only thing staying put. The bookcases need to be disassembled. Oh - fun and games.

On that note, I'm out of here. I've also got a lot of work to do and the thought of emptying all those boxes? Frightening! I want to sort all those books and magazines to make them super easy to find on the shelves. That's going to be huge! And I want them logged into a database. I do have one for my books that I've read, but I want to see if I can use it for the quilting books and then I need to see how to rig my phone to scan the ISBN. I'd better make that a priority as those books will need to be unpacked ASAP as they are taking up a lot of space. Yes - going to look for duplicates and I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with any of them at the moment. My priority is to go through the magazines and get rid of those before I do anything with the books.

Have a super day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment