Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Ultimate Quilt Blocks show n tell Part Two


Oh boy - I've no idea how I managed to work full days and still keep things going in my freelance/personal world. Well, some of my jobs overlapped at that time so I guess it wasn't so bad. I've noticed that when I'm working for myself, I tend to work much longer hours. There are no water cooler talks, there's no one to stop by your office to ask a question. Although I do have the girls and a gazebo which call me.

 I've been in a training class for two full days and I've got three days left. It's a struggle to keep on top of everything!  Doesn't help that we have a house guest tonight and so I had to move everything that was in that room into another room. Thank goodness there are rooms to do that shuffle.

On top of that, I'm trying to get the floor for Studio B organized and I'm happy to report that the floor is ordered!!! We just need to set a date for the work to start. If I can have my way, that means, we'll be back to Sit n Sews starting in July or early August. I can hardly wait! If you're a Sit n Sew regular, watch for the invitation.

While the training is long days where I could be doing something else, I'm learning a LOT so it's all worth it. I'm learning the full line-up of the PFAFF sewing/embroidery machines. I should be a pro after this! But it's a line that's I'm not 100% familiar with, but I'll be very comfortable after we're done.

Speaking of NEW MACHINES, you MUST check out this video. Yesterday was the official launch of the NEW Husqvarna Viking Designer EPIC 2.  OH MY GOD - I want one - very badly. And you can CUSTOMIZE the color of the machine. I watched an interval video this morning (No - you do not want to know what time I got up!) and there's so much NEW on this machine.  Here's a hint - when you watch the video - when the machine is spinning around, have a look at the presser foot. There's something very special attached to that presser foot. I can't wait to get my hands on one and guess which color I want?? I'll post more as I find the pages, but if you check out this link, you get to see the different colors you can order.

I found another source with more information about what's in the Designer EPIC 2. Check this out.

Now that I've calmed down - I found the pictures from the April show and tell from the Ultimate Quilt Block book that we're doing as a year-long class at The Hobby Horse. I really must get better at getting all the show and tell up in a more timely manner. I've heard of people who have difficulty finding material to blog about, but I seem to have no shortage of that. I must make a list so I don't' forget anything in the future.

Let's check it out.

Ultimate Quilt Block book by Lynne Goldsworthy

There's no official homework in the class. I'm picking a number of blocks each month and then the class gets to mess around the block (s) of their choice or not. If they don't like that block, they don't have to make it. But this class is about way more than making a block or two. It's about value/color/construction, etc. It's one of those classes where the more you put in, the more you get out.

It's such an interesting exercise to see all the variations. You can pop back to yesterday to see more variations of these same blocks.

These first two pictures are the SAME block. Notice how the different colors and different value placement, make for a totally different block.


One colorway of the block

A second colorway with values in different spots

I took the blocks and entered them into EQ8 and then got to "make" quilts with different colors and value placements. That was a very interesting exercise. Sorry - you have to come to the class to get all the information.

Here are two blocks made with the same fabrics, but this time, the fabrics are placed differently which changes the position of the lights and darks. Very cool.

Same fabrics, same block, just different placement

Here's one more set of the same blocks using the same fabrics. Again, they are placed differently in the block. This is a super exercise to do. It helps you to understand what works for the colors you've chosen and what you like or dislike. The more of this that you do, the more comfortable you'll become with colors and values.

Dark colors on the outside

Light colors on the inside


I love what this person did. She made a mockup of the block using bits of fabric glued to paper. She had extra squares of fabric so she could play around with the colors before she sewed. Sort of like a non-computerized version of EQ8.


A mockup of the block using fabric squares

This person took another of the blocks we worked on and changed the center of the block. I think the idea was to change the scale as well. This is so cool. And this is how you learn! By playing! I'm so excited about the class. They are learning (oops - I shouldn't say that out loud) - they are playing and having fun playing. By not committing to a quilt, they can do whatever they want and there's no UFO. It's that refreshing????

Playing with a block design on paper

Now here's someone who is committed. She made four blocks and sewed them together to make a table topper. I love the colors and you can see in this small representation, how value plays an important part. Without that high contrast white, this block would not be happy.

Four blocks make a table topper
This was another of the blocks that we had discussed in the book. A great way to play with value. Even though these blocks are the same, they have a different feel to them because of the value placement. A super exercise!!!!


A good exercise in value


The same person used that same fabric and made two more blocks that were bonus blocks for the month. It's fun to work in grey as then only the value becomes important. There's no color to interfere with the exercise.


Two more gray blocks

Here's another great way to play with color placement if you don't have access to EQ8. Although why wouldn't you want it??  I seem to be living in it lately as I'm cranking out more quilt designs! But that works for me!

I know that this one was colored in with crayons. Here's a thing to note. While there are different colors in this paper block, they all have the same value so if those actual colors were used in a block, it would be flat. That was NOT the maker's intention with this diagram. It was to play with color.

Block colored with crayons on fabric

And here's the final block for today. This looks awesome. A great variety of values, an accent and that blue/orange tie the entire coloring together. Nice choice of fabrics!!!

Nice variety of colors and values



Isn't that super exciting???  These students are going to walk out of that class and be way more knowledgeable than when they started. I hope they stick it out to the end because there's going to be way more of this stuff coming down the pipeline. What makes it even more fun is that it's a very creative group. If you were working at home, you'd see ONE version of one block - if you even did that. But looking at the different colorways and value placement of 25 students? Well, that very quickly broadens your horizons and knowledge base. I'm super proud of all the work that the students have put into the class so far.

And we haven't even gotten to the best part yet. I hope to get that done for tomorrow. It'll blow you away.

On that note, I'm out of here. I've so much to get done. It's that darn paperwork. I'm getting up extra early these days to try and keep a handle on it. I'm doing OK. And then to sew or teach in the evening. Yep - "working" full days is a challenge. But I'm loving it!!!

Have a super day!!!!  And let's pray that one day this summer, I'll be able to walk the dogs without gloves and my winter jacket. Seriously?? This is June!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment