Monday, June 24, 2019

Lilla Show and Tell


I've so many pictures to post this week. I transferred a pile from my phone to the computer this morning and was merrily editing them and waiting for the microwave to finish cooking my oatmeal. Oh dear - I must have messed up the timer as that microwave seemed to be going on and on. Sure enough, the oatmeal was like rubber when I checked it. Oops! Must have added one extra digit to the 3:30 minutes. Let's just say that I cooked a new batch and it's just right!!!

I keep a book with the homework mapped out for my ongoing classes. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I counted the number of projects that we've done over the years. Oh boy - it's over 30!!!!!  I also have a list by year, I'll have to dig that out as well!!! These are NOT small projects and many of mine are not finished. They take up a lot of space! I'm working on two of them this year in addition to the current ones I'm teaching. My goal is to get all of them done because they are neat quilts and bring back loads of memories.

I'm starting with the homework from Friday night which was the Lilla class.

Lilla pattern




There are 25 modern blocks in the quilt. You wouldn't recognize many of the patterns from anywhere, yet some of them are familiar. Some are improv, some are made with specific sized pieces. Most of the blocks have been easy to do, but there are have been a couple of blocks that are - well, let's just say the instructions were a challenge. I didn't even go back to the designer for the second nightmare block based on the response I got the first time. Why aren't pattern designers more responsive when someone points out an issue?? I get it that the pattern is already out there. Better yet - why don't they have a pattern tester??? And not someone who is "excited" to be testing for a big name person and doesn't question anything. Get pattern testers that will actually TEST the pattern.

Oh well - that's why we have classes like this to help the students along!! By no means am I perfect - I've made mistakes in pattern writing. Writing patterns is not easy! The most challenging thing is writing instructions so that everyone can interpret them.

Anyway - enough of that. It's time to get to the show and tell.

The quilt on the pattern cover is HUGE. There are 25 different blocks and the idea is to make 4 of each. The blocks are 9" finished. If you do the math, that makes a quilt that's 90" by 90".  I don't want one huge quilt so I'll be making two lap size from my blocks. More on that tomorrow.

I noticed for some of the class that the number of homework blocks coming back each month is getting less and less. Blocks too difficult? Hopefully, the posts over the next couple of days (yes - there is at least one more, if not two more Lilla posts this week) that the class will get excited and get their blocks up to date.

Let's start with Sara. She likes this blue fabric and made four identical blocks. I love this block and you could take that bottom strip and put it on the top and get a totally different look. Looks hard but it's not.



Sara's first set of blocks

This is the second block by Sara. She has four different focus fabrics that she's using and in this block set, she used all of the fabrics - one per block. Notice that the block above and this next one are easy to piece as the pieces are cut to a specific size. Although there was a little bit of trimming needed on both before the block was completely finished. Yes - there are angles which can be tricky, but not too bad.

Sara's second set of blocks

Then we got to the improv blocks. These are FREEHAND cut curves. The two sides are NOT symmetrical. They are NOT supposed to be symmetrical. You could make them symmetrical if you want, but it's an improv block. Free cut and sew back together, then trim. I have to admit that this one was a bit tricky in order to get a seam allowance at each end but if there was no seam allowance? Who cares? It's improv.

Sara's third set of blocks

Rita was up next. Rita is the rebel in the class. She goes with whatever she feels at that moment and I suspect by what scraps are on her cutting table. Rita is also a FABULOUS knitter and she paints so we know that doing things outside the box? Well - that's Rita!

This set of blocks is her curved improv block. Notice that she has very asymmetrical blocks, no seam allowance provided on some of them and an extra piece has been inserted. It's improv - anything goes!

Rita's first set of blocks
This is Rita's second set of blocks. I love how she changes up the colors within the block. Makes it much more interesting. And if the block wasn't quite the right size? No worries, she added bits to the sides. Why not? It's improv.


Rita's second set of blocks
This is Rita's third set of blocks. One of them is like the pattern. It looks like she had loads of fun using up scraps to make some very neat blocks. Way to go Rita!!!

Rita's third set of blocks

Kathy wasn't at our last session. She brought in one set of blocks from the last time. This is going to look so amazing when it's done. I love the three fabrics together.

Kathy's blocks from one of the previous sessions

Genny didn't have any homework with her, but it was great to see her back at class. She's a teacher and had a "minor" incident and ended up with a concussion. Holy - I know nothing about concussions, but it's serious. She wasn't able to do ANYTHING for almost three months!!!  ACK!!! Welcome back Genny!!!

Cathy made a huge challenge for herself by choosing a directional background and wanting to keep that background print going in the same direction. She deserves a medal as that's a HUGE task. Here is her first set of blocks.

Cathy's first set of blocks

Doesn't that look amazing to mix up the fabrics within the block? Notice those lines - all going in the same direction!!!!  Awesome job Cathy!!!!

Cathy's second set of blocks

Here are Cathy's improv blocks. I love them. For a beginner quilter, I think she did a great job, although I don't think she can call herself a beginner any longer!!

Cathy's third set of blocks

These are Gisele's blocks. These are the improv blocks. I had suggested that they make the pieces larger to have more flexibility which is what Gisele did.

Gisele's first set of blocks

Here is her second set of blocks. Love that blue fabric with the white cross!!

Gisele's second set of blocks

Gisele is rethinking the size of the quilt and only made two of these blocks.

Gisele's third set of blocks


That's it for the Lilla homework for this month. I gave them a pile of homework for the summer. I'll be sharing some of that with you tomorrow so bear with me as I go through some of the homework with you all. Trust me, you're going to learn some things even if you're not taking the class.

I can't help it - I'm getting excited about new classes for the fall. I shouldn't be, but I am. I've got some great things lined up. If you have something in particular that you'd like to see in the list of classes, NOW is the time to let me know.

I had a super relaxing day yesterday. Is that what it feels like to sew in a relaxed mode? How civilized! I took pictures and will share with you later this week.

I've got a wee bit of paperwork that has to be done today and then I'll be back at the sewing machine working on a deadline quilt.

Before I close today, I've got a couple of dates for you to put on your calendar.

The Quilted Portrait - Faces of Hamilton. This exhibit is done by Fuzzy Mall. Here's an article about him. I just love his work. Remember the bicycle from Quilt Canada??? He looks so different without his hat!!!!   Anyway - he has a show of work at the Queen Elizabeth Cultural Centre in Oakville.


JUNE 15TH-OCTOBER 18

#FACESOFHAMILTON

QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK CULTURAL CENTRE  OAKVILLE, ON



__________________________________________________________________


Quilts at the Creek - this takes place at the end of July. July 27 and 28th. You NEED to come to this show. Unless someone steps up to take over the show, this will be the LAST one. That's a shame because it's such a fun event, but that's just the way it is. There will be loads of interesting quilts to see. Some of the Cherrywood Challenge quilts will be on display, there will be map quilts and a whole lot more. Be sure to check it out. I'll be doing a walkabout tour on Sunday. It's at Black Creek Pioneer Village

Oh, shoot - you have to enter quilts as well!!!!  I always forget that I have to fill out the application form to enter my quilts. I'll have several quilts in the show - possibly for sale!!!


________________________________________________________________________


CreativFestival. Yes - I know there have been issues with CreativFestival. Things are not going well. It's a catch 22 situation.  BUT we have a great celebrity coming to the Fall show. Mary Fons. The dates are October 17-19. BE sure to put it on your calendar and more information will be coming. 

_________________________________________________________________________

On that note, I'm out of here for today. 

Have a super day!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment