Saturday, June 8, 2019

The FINAL note on the Dresden Plate block


The training is done! It was excellent and I'm glad that I took the time to attend. Now I'm way behind. Despite the fact that the weather is going to be amazing today (well so they say), I'll be stuck inside for most of the day trying to get a quilt top on the long arm by tonight. There are only 6 blocks in the quilt so hopefully, it won't take that long to piece.

I know - better planning. It's the darn weather. When it's nice out, I take advantage of it and that puts me behind. OK -- so does my obsession with reading! I'm my own worst enemy. I have loads of time to get these things done - I just decide to do non-urgent things instead of working on what I'm supposed to. Oh well - I get to look out the window and heck, I might even open the windows today and I'll enjoy the sun that way.

Speaking of looking out the window, look who waltzed down the street this morning shortly after 5 AM. The poor guy has a limp, but I think this one always had a limp. I don't see the companion. Matter of fact, it's been a while since I saw the other one.

Coyote running down the street

I'm guessing we won't see any rabbits this morning? I wish that coyote would do a better job of keeping the rabbit population down. I don't care if the rabbits eat anything, it's just when Murphy sees one when we're walking - well - it's not fun. Let's just leave it at that. However, she has learned to NOT bark her silly head off. Baby steps. Breathe deep!!!

OK - one last day about the Dresden Plate blocks. Theresa sent me these pictures of her Dresden Plate quilt.

She found the blocks at a flea market several years ago. Not sure where the flea market was as I know Theresa has moved around to some exotic places. They were sewn by hand with no center and wouldn't lie flat. So she cut them apart and appliqued them onto the white background. Then the blocks were separated by a red sashing. She stitched (in the ditch around the blocks) the top to the quilt backing only - there's no batting in this quilt. Keep in mind - she lived in St. Lucia at the time. I don't think they have a need for big thick quilts in St. Lucia!!!! 




This is a super clever way to disguise some blocks that don't lie flat. And why not????  Look at those little bits in the corners and not every block is an exact quarter!! Brilliant!



Blocks made from cut up Dresden Plate blocks

I had a laugh when I looked at this picture. Do you recognize that red fabric?? I think I have some of it. I think I have a lot of it. That's a print from YEARS ago.


One block from the Dresden quilt


I've known Theresa for many years. She has lived in the Caribbean for many, many years. There are no real quilt stores in the Caribbean and fabric stores will have stuff, but not really the same as we have here. Imagine having to wait until you take your shopping trip to Miami to get supplies. Oh boy - that's when you really learn to make do with stuff that you have. That's what I needed to do years ago!!!

I gave her some fabric when she was here last year. She did send me a picture a while back of what she was making with it. They come back to Canada every year to visit family. Hmm - maybe she'll take more fabric off my hands this year.

In case anyone is interested, I found some notes on the history of the Dresden Plate.  An interesting note about dating the quilt. The quilt that Judi brought in is OLD. I believe she said it was close to 100 years old or even older. I can't remember all the details she told us about the quilt.  That would predate the period of the '30s when this quilt was extremely popular. OK - I need to get all my quilt history books out. They are currently packed in boxes waiting for a new floor. GRRRR!!!!  Baby steps - we're getting ready to set a date! 


Judi's antique quilt

I did dig out my Barbara Brackman Encylopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. Lots of variations as we already know and lots of dates.

On that note, I'm out of here. I've got ONE of the six blocks cut out and partially sewn together for that quilt. I have a couple of other things that are also URGENT for today. I'm trying to push one off for another week. Let's hope that everyone agrees - that would take some pressure off.

I know I keep saying next week will be better and then it's not better. Why is that? DH just shakes his head.

Have a super day and enjoy the beautiful weather!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment