Saturday, December 7, 2019

Classes for 2020



Thank goodness, I'm not a rigid planner. I have loads to do and as much as I'd like to get loads done in a day - it doesn't always work out that way and for a variety of reasons. I've loads sitting on the work tables in Studio B and nothing is holding me back other than time.

But I had a dentist appointment yesterday. I walked down - it's a fifteen-minute walk. And even in the snow, it was an awesome way to start the day. So when both the dentist and the hygienist asked me "how were the roads?". I replied that I had NO IDEA. It felt great! I used to have to drive a long way to my dentist and then I realized how much a waste of time that was. Dentists are a dime a dozen out there - do yourself a favor and find one close to your house. You may not be able to walk there (but why not?) but at least you won't spend a lot of time in the car. I did the same thing with the optometrist and my doctor is also within walking distance.

Anyway, they were running late because the appointment in front of me had arrived late. That person was the first patient of the day. Oh great - now the entire day for them will be making up time. When I got back home, I had to shovel the driveway so it was almost lunchtime by the time I was finished and I had appointments to book and other admin tasks and those got bumped.

The quilt is almost finished that's on the long arm, but not quite.

But enough of all that - let's get to the classes for 2020.


These are ON-GOING classes that will last the entire year of 2020. All three of these are lecture-style - that means you come to the store for a one-hour lecture for tips on how to sew the next homework assignment together. We OOH and AAH over the show n tell from the previous month. And there are loads of other tips and topics that get thrown in based on the questions from the group. I've been doing these classes for many, many years and we've always had loads of fun with them. The things we learn (yep - even me - I'm learning from the students) is amazing. Choices of colors and fabrics, different colors for the background, modifying some of the blocks to suit skill levels and even modifying the entire quilt. Oh yes - it's great fun and I look forward to another amazing year.


Oh, Look Fabric (Milton)  - Aviatrix Medallion
Time: Friday evening   7:00 PM - 8:00 PM.
Dates: January 17, February 21, March 27, April 24, May 15, June 26, September 25, October 23, November 27

Aviatrix Medallion by Elizabeth Hartman


This is a medallion style quilt. You start with the block in the center and build around that block. The finished quilt is 80" by 80". The quilt in the picture was made with solids, but you could make it with anything. If you want to use up your stash, this would look amazing as a scrap quilt. Make it totally scrappy, make it monochromatic. Check out this link for more color options.

What you'll learn:

  • A lot about color - not the theory stuff, but the real stuff that quilters use every day!
  • Great tips for improving accuracy - pressing, cutting and sewing. 
  • How to change up a pattern for greater efficiency - be that the cutting instructions or the sewing instructions.
  • Working with templates (WAIT - there's only a few and I'll have alternative directions if you can't stand templates).
  • Tips for making an 8-pointed star (that's the center block)
  • Tips on choosing fabrics that are NOT like the pattern
  • Tips on coping strips


This promises to be a lot of fun and if weekend classes don't work for you, here's a fun class on a Friday night.

Be sure to call the store to get yourself signed up.



The Hobby Horse Quilt Shop (Georgetown)  - Celebration
Time: Saturday Morning (either 10 AM or 11:30 AM - it has been determined yet)
Dates: March 28, April 25, May 23, June 27, August 29, September 26, October 24, November 28


Celebration by Quilt Moments

The Celebration quilt is a Block of the Month. A very cost-effective block of the month - the pattern is less than $20. HEY - this is also a medallion quilt, but with a much different style. The quilt is 73" by 73" (as shown in the photos) or you can add a border to make it larger.  The blocks are simple and if you check the website (scroll through those photos), there are many more colorings for this quilt. I see lots of different color combinations with this one and yes - there'll be lots of ideas for making changes to the quilt.

What you'll learn:
  •  A lot about color - not the theory stuff, but the real stuff that quilters use every day!
  • Great tips for improving accuracy - pressing, cutting and sewing. 
  • How to change up a pattern for greater efficiency - be that the cutting instructions or the sewing instructions.
  • Tips on choosing fabrics that are NOT like the pattern
  • Tips for squaring up blocks and resizing blocks
  • Tips for joining rows/columns



The Hobby Horse Quilt Shop (Georgetown)  - Summer Moon
Time: Saturday Morning (either 10 AM or 11:30 AM - it has been determined yet)
Dates: March 28, April 25, May 23, June 27, August 29, September 26, October 24, November 28


Summer Moon by Carrie Nelson

This is also a Block of the Month but in a book format. There are 24 different blocks and they come in three sizes. It'll all be explained in class! This is also going to be a design class - don't like a particular block? Then make one up. Don't like the layout? Make one up! The quilt on the book cover is 70" by 78".  Use a specific fabric collection or break out of the box - make it monochromatic - make it scrappy.

What you'll learn:
  •  A lot about color - not the theory stuff, but the real stuff that quilters use every day!
  • Great tips for improving accuracy - pressing, cutting and sewing. 
  • How to change up a pattern for greater efficiency - be that the cutting instructions or the sewing instructions.
  • Tips on choosing fabrics that are NOT like the pattern
  • Tips for squaring up blocks and resizing blocks
  • Tips for designing your own quilt


Be sure to contact the store to get your name on the list. NOTE: The classes at Oh, Look Fabric starts in January, the classes at The Hobby Horse start in March. All of them finish in November.


OH - I can hear you - "I don't want to start another project". I get that. But if you've been good at finishing up things, then why not reward yourself. If we only work on the old UFOs, that gets boring very quickly. We need something new to perk us up and everyone, no matter how experienced you are - will learn something from these classes. I say it all the time, but I learn so much from the students. I'm shocked sometimes! Collectively we have amazing ideas and the sharing just blows me away. Besides, we should all be learning something new every day to keep our brains active.

So get on the phone and sign up today. Then start digging through your stash to find a BRAND NEW colorway that you've never done before. Don't just make this quilt like the one on the cover - make this quilt YOUR OWN!!!!

There are two more ongoing classes that I'll share tomorrow - those ones will be virtual sew-alongs for those that can't get to the shops. I haven't figured out the format for them yet, but I've got until tomorrow to figure that out!  It'll be likely through e-mail or maybe a Facebook group.

I was expecting a package, but I kind of forgot about it with everything going on. DH arrived home at about 4:30 and parked his car in the garage. A short while later, I happened to be in Studio U and looked out and there's my package lying in the driveway. No knock on the door, nothing. OH - I did get the e-mail notification. Good grief - - that's a dump delivery if ever I saw one. It's very heavy and awkward so not like someone could just run off with that one, but still. Did you notice how clean the driveway is? Except around my car in the background which I didn't clean. But we have the afternoon sun and I LOVE IT!


Package dumped in the driveway

I managed to get four more bags ready to fill with scraps for the pet beds. And it sounds like I'm not the only doing that. I know there are others out there that are recycling the stuff from your studios!
Kudos to you all!!! We really must learn to reduce our waste! Anyway - there are now just five bundles left to serge up! At least for this go around - there'll be more to make later, but I'll have lots to fill with scraps from now to the end of the year.


Five bundles left to make into pet mats

On that happy note (oh yes - I've got great ideas for a litterless Christmas - those are coming up this week and some great ideas for gifts!), I'm out of here. A wee bit of a fun day - a road trip! But just for one day and I've got the MASTER shopping list for everyone in the car. No deviations!

And I've got FIVE new color schemes for these quilts to come up with! I'd better get started!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment