Saturday, December 28, 2019

Get it done!


OK - OK -- the list of classes is going up today! It's all complete - I just didn't get back to the computer for one last proof before it goes live. That's the first thing on the to-do list this morning after the girls get their walk. You'll see - there was a LOT of work that had to be done to get that post ready.

I'm not sure where this NO PROCRASTINATION thing has come from, but I'm taking advantage of it while it lasts.

I started the day by tidying up the backyard - if you know what I mean when you have two dogs. I have dubbed the two "Sir-Poops-a Lot!"  But while I was out there, I had a few other tidy up things to do. Here's a picture of my latest backyard art.


My new sunflower


Here's the thing. When people make these kinds of art pieces, they need to make them practical. You can't just have a single stake. The pieces will fall over unless it's so buried in the ground there's nothing above. You need a supporting prong on that center stake to help stabilize it! The head of that sunflower is heavy! I put it close to the fence so it would be out of the way of my racing dogs. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough. I got out some wire (which I knew exactly where it was) and wired the sunflower, in several spots, to the fence. It shouldn't want to fall over now.

It's close to the two bicycles in the backyard.

More backyard art

I could make an obstacle course for the girls, but they already have enough obstacles to keep them busy.

Then I had to fix the bird feeder. It has FOUR prongs that go in the ground, but with our crazy clay soil, I can't get it far into the ground. I'm not one to take a hammer to pound it in and even then, I need a BIG hammer. Because of the very mild temperatures, the bird feeder was falling over. Now it's standing up nice and straight and waiting for the birds to come and feast. And actually, those prongs need to be straightened out so it would at least be easier to get them deeper in the ground. A job for the next nice day.
The bird feeders are now standing up straight

Back into the house and down to Studio B. I went through three of those tubs of "to be quilted" stuff. Everything in those three tubs was mostly in order. There was one piece that I had removed and it didn't get crossed off my master list. BAD ME! Now that's done and I've added a few more items to those three tubs to maximize my space. In those three tubs alone are FORTY quilt tops to quilt or to have more quilting added to them. Yep - we've got a huge problem here!

But I found an extra tub. It had been sitting under the long arm. I checked out what was inside - AHA - more quilt tops that need a backing so they can be quilted.

Quilt tops that need backings made

Some of those tops may need a border or two and by all rights, these are things that should go on my UFO list for this year. Get them done!!! I'm still contemplating what else to add to that UFO list for 2020.

Now I've technically got an extra tub. Not really, because those quilt tops should have the backings, borders, and bindings made and go right back in the tub. It all can't be done in one day!




An empty tub

 Things are getting done - that's all I care about. And as long as the things that need to get done are getting done as well. Here's that HUGE quilt that I quilted yesterday. Remember the dimensional flying geese? Well, they are all tacked down and it was a breeze to quilt this quilt. There's no binding for it. The backing is the right color, but it's flannel and the top is not. I shall trim the quilt and it'll go to the organization that asked me to quilt it and they can put the binding on. My part is DONE.


Community projects quilt - DONE
It was  UFO day yesterday and I knew just what I was going to work on. That Stitcher's Garden quilt that I've been working on FOREVER. I've fussed with the darn thing for a good part of this past year with the UFO club and well - I'm tired of it. However, with the new NO PROCRASTINATION rule, it was time to get it done.

When I started the day, there were seven blocks to complete and nothing had been sewn together.

I finished one block on the embroidery machine as per the pattern. It was a machine embroidery applique block. And it's trimmed and done. Ready to be sewn into the quilt.

Machine embroidery applique block


Then I worked on this block. All the fusible applique bits were traced (for all the remaining blocks) but they needed to be fused to the appropriate fabrics and cut out. This block is all fused in place onto the background. It now needs the decorative stitching done on the sewing machine.


The block is ready for the decorative stitching


Hey - I had a good audiobook on and a nice glass of Bailey's to keep me company and I was on a roll. Here's one more block that is fused in place and just needs some decorative stitching.


This block is also ready for the decorative stitching


I can't stop now so I forged ahead and got this block ready for the decorative stitching as well. Some of the stitching needs to be done before the rest of the pieces get fused in place. Oh yes - this is the one with the rickrack. I pulled the rickrack after I took the picture.



One more block ready for decorative stitching

 So if you were counting, there are three blocks left that I didn't touch. There's one more that is machine embroidery applique and the last two are strictly embroidery. Today isn't a UFO day, but I might slip down. NO - today is supposed to be cleaning up the office day. OK - if I do a half-day in here, then I could slip down for part of the afternoon. See - anything to avoid the office, but I'm not allowed to do that anymore!!!!

I'm supposed to have those seven blocks completed by our next UFO club date which is in the middle of January. NO - I want those seven blocks completed by the end of this year. Heck - I want the entire quilt in the "to be quilted" pile by the end of the year and I don't have a lot of time left.

This is the box of fabric that has been pulled to make this quilt. It's definitely bright and cheerful. I'll be so happy to put this box of stuff away!  At one time, there was a yo-yo maker in the box. I can't find the yo-yo maker and I'd like to find it so I can use it. But where would I have put it? Things are better - not perfect, but better!

The box of fabrics pulled for this project


But that wasn't all I did yesterday. OH NO!!!!  I started to assemble the quilt. Yes - this is going to get done even if it kills me. I want this one off the list for this year. And I have one from the 2019 list that I think I can get finished this year. I'm determined!

You can't really tell in the photo, but that entire middle section is TOGETHER. Yep - it's all together in one piece. Not before I had to rip off the bottom section because I sewed it upside down!! Too focused on the audiobook!


Stitcher's Garden 


So six more blocks to finish and a wee bit of piecing (some half square triangles I believe) to get the sides finished. It WILL happen.

I don't have anything set out for the borders. Hmm - I've no idea what to do either. The quilt is very PINK - a perfect quilt to gift to Shelly who hates pink! There are lots of other NON-pink colors in there. I'll need to go fabric shopping Chez Elaine first and if I don't come up with anything, well - that might have to be a shopping trip soon to get this done. The quilt pattern has something like five borders. I don't think that is happening on my quilt. One small one and then one larger one and that's it!

Oh boy - the office. I have to tackle the office today. That's a huge scary thought. BUT - I know I can do it. I can and I will! One of the things I need to evaluate is how the office space is working for me. It's OK, but it's not the best. So that thought will be on my mind today as I shuffle through stuff. I sure hope I can find my Scene card!

On that note, I'm out of here!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment