Monday, October 12, 2020

The Road Trip

 

I get stuck in the house sewing or quilting a lot, and I wanted to have a fun day out. And I love going for practically no reason! That's so not me!! I did have 6 boxes and bags of stuff that I had sorted from the pet mat situation that was to be handed off to someone else in the hopes they could use it for their cause. And then there was the barn block. It all lent itself to a day trip!


Thimbles and Things are hosting a sew-along for Barn Quilt Blocks. (sorry - it's FULL - even with two Zoom classes). The blocks are part of the Simcoe County Barn Quilt Trail. Scroll down on that page for the map and then click in the top right corner of the map to get a large version of it. 

We get bonus points each month for doing something with the block. This month it was a picture of ourselves with the block, but I swear Sue said we get the points if we are with the original block. I may have invented that! Well, I've had it in my mind to drive up and see the block in person. I know - an hour and a half one way. Here's the thing - it was a glorious day, and we didn't violate any rules, and we had a wonderful day trip. 

We did have lunch indoors (GASP - not allowed here!), and I did have to renew the license plate sticker for my car! It's been expired for almost two months, but I'm not driving anywhere! However, on the 400 series highway, I thought I better get with it and renew the darn thing. One minute on-line and I was done! I'll get the sticker in the mail. Who wants to go and stand in a line (not that it's encouraged at this moment). I guess no one will be bothering me about my old red/white health card! It was to be phased out this past July. I even had an appointment to get the new one and then POOF - those plans went up in smoke. 

I was amazed as I think we only saw one cop car. Since it was the long weekend, I expected to see lots, but only one, and he wasn't doing radar. 

But now, back to the barn block. Here's my block for this month. Very pretty and each to assemble. I hope the rest of the blocks are as easy, but I know for a fact that one of them is going to be a bear to put together. I have a plan for my blocks! And I'm teaching an EQ8 class on how people can construct their own barn block quilt! 

My barn block made with fabric

There was only one glitch in the entire day. This was the message on my navigation screen in my car. I knew this was going to happen. However, I didn't let it bother me. I'm just past this stupid system. However, I shall endeavor to figure out WHY there is a communication error. Toyota - you sure missed the mark on the 2019 cars. I think there is a HUGE difference between the 2019 and 2020 models, and I got stuck with the duds!!!! But I shall get it figured out, and I better do it before I get rid of the car!



A communication error



There were other barn blocks in the same area, so I decided to stop and get pictures of some other blocks. 

This was the first one. Not all of the blocks are traditional quilt blocks. Some of them are custom blocks - I don't know the story of the blocks. This first one is called the Dinsmore Custom Compass. 

Dinsmore Customer Compass Barn Quilt Block


Since we can't go on private property, this was the best shot I could get. Where's that Samsung Galaxy 20 with 100X ability???  That just seems wrong in a cell phone camera!

Close up of the barn block




However, I found this picture on the website. 


A front view of the barn block



Then it was onto the second block on my list, and this was the one that we made this month. 

Dutchman's Puzzle Barn Quilt Block



I love how all the barns are of different sizes and shapes, and I know that some of the barn quilt blocks are free-standing. As we got out of the car to take a picture of the block, the owner was in the yard. We were welcomed to go right up and get a picture with the block!! YES!!!!!  I know DH was probably rolling his eyes. Come on!!! 

So we got right up to the block, and I got my picture. I've already sent it off this morning to Thimbles and Things. 


The Dutchman's Puzzle block and me with my fabric version



That was the MAIN purpose of the entire trip, and it worked out perfectly. In speaking to the property owner, there are now 200 blocks on the trail. That's a HUGE number, and this block was the 100th block to be added to the trail. Apparently, last weekend, there was some kind of a studio tour, and they had loads of people stopping by to take pictures. It's like a HUGE treasure hunt. Hmm - 200 blocks and we saw five yesterday - only 20 more trips and I'll have seen them all!

On to the next one. We could only take a picture from the road. 


The next Barn Block




Here's my close-up. This one is called Lambie Custom Blue. So I don't think this is a real block, but I really like it. 



Lambie Custom Blue Barn Quilt block


Here's a better picture (not mine) of the block. Hey - I just discovered that some blocks have additional pictures. Click on the pictures on the left side of the map. 


Lambie Custom Blue Barn Quilt Block



Next block, and I bet this one is on a dairy farm. 
A faraway view of the next block




See - there's a cow on the barn!!!


Checkered Holstein block



Here's an even closer shot of the block. It's called Checkered Holstein. And NO, Diane - you are NOT recreating this block in the class! Just NO. This one is also a custom block! Lots of custom blocks, but there are also loads of traditional quilt blocks as well. 



CLose-up of the Checkered Holstein Barn Quilt Block



And we thought that was it. There were more blocks in the area, but DH is not huge on just wandering the countryside, so it was time to drop off the boxes. As we were sailing along the highway, he spotted this block on the left. Yep - I stopped to get a picture. This one is NOT on the official barn trail map. It's probably one of the 50 that have been added recently. 

One more barn quilt block


There's a cow head in the center, so it might be custom as well. Shoot - we should have driven past the one with the Death Stars on it. OH - I wasn't thinking, and we were so close. Next time!

Another block on the Simcoe County Barn Quilt Trail



The leaves were gorgeous!! DH took this picture, not me! But so many photo ops. I loved it. A perfect weekend to enjoy the leaves and see some of the barn quilts. 


The leaves were glorious



I didn't get a whole lot of sewing done. As a matter of fact, I didn't even turn on the sewing machine, and that's OK. But I see that I'm going to have to finish sewing this quilt together. I was digging through something nearby, and another block floated off! That does it - those last two bits need to be sewn today as we have our Monday sewing. 

Blocks on the floor, yet again


I cut a couple more blocks to sew today, so that is all good. I've got a lot sitting there to sew. I will not run out of things to sew while we chat during Monday sewing. 

I decided that I should start trimming those Double Wedding Ring arcs. I trimmed four of them this morning. If I do a couple every day, they'll all be trimmed before I know it, and hopefully, I can get started with the next section. I do want to get it done before the end of the year. 


Trimming the double wedding ring arcs

I went for a long walk when I got home to compensate for being in the car for so long. I saw that guy at the same bus stop. I don't think he's waiting for the bus. He just seems to hang out there. 

We get started with Long Time Gone this weekend. Next Saturday. If you haven't signed up, you only have a couple of days to do so. It's crazy - the class list is LONG, and I'm so excited about it. BUT first, I need to select my fabrics for that quilt. I had a group of fabrics selected, and I was thrilled with it. Then I thought about it and didn't like it for this quilt. So this morning, I had a brainstorm and picked something else. Then I really looked at those fabrics and well - they won't do either! So today, I MUST select the color palette. 

We're going to be dealing with fabric selections on Saturday, and I have tons of tips for that. 


The book for Long Time Gone by Jen Kingwell


Two and a half writing assignments went out the door yesterday. One and a half to get done, and then, dare I say that I'm up to date? Only to have more needed for the weekend. While I love Zoom, it does create one extra step to keep the students better informed since they can't really take pictures of stuff I take to class. No big deal - I love to write. I just need to be a bit more timely! It's happening!


On that note, I'm out of here. Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends! Enjoy your day. I'm going to enjoy my pumpkin pie and whipped cream. I was chatting to M last night, and she says with great incredulity in her voice, " you MADE a pumping pie?" " No, silly girl, I bought it!!"  See - she knows me!! Love you, M!!!!


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment